• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams News + Progress in ITM Cup

he made the half break and gave the ball having drawn in the defence, then in the second half with nothing on he casually sliced your midfield to pieces and gave another perfect ball that should have been a try. Both bigger plays than either of the English midfielders made, or Nonu since Hong kong. It would be stating the obvious to say he is superior to Tindall or Hape in every aspect.

Aim for the stars and you may just hit the branches of the tree you stand beneath...

BTW: What did he do when Englands midfield bothered to come out of the changing room? (I.E. The 2nd Half)

I just started to like SBW again, when Woodward comes along and makes me dislike him again :p
Whenever people go on about him being amazingly greatly the best thing every blah blah it makes me like him less for some reason, I don't know why though, becauase he's a top player and seems a nice enough guy in interviews/not a prick (anymore)

I just started to like SBW again, when Woodward comes along and makes me dislike him again :p
Whenever people go on about him being amazingly greatly the best thing every blah blah it makes me like him less for some reason, I don't know why though, becauase he's a top player and seems a nice enough guy in interviews/not a prick (anymore)
Yeah, it's his fan boys that **** over every thing he does, while putting down other existing players, that tends to make you sick of him. Seems a nice guy from his interviews, just prats like woodward make the entire topic of SBW, a boring and exaggerated one.

Been having a long and drawn out debate with someone on another forum who reckons Sonny will be first choice for the All Blacks in the matches prior to the World Cup and I obviously believe otherwise with Nonu being my favourite to be the starting 12 up until and during the World Cup.

Yeah, it's his fan boys that **** over every thing he does, while putting down other existing players, that tends to make you sick of him. Seems a nice guy from his interviews, just prats like woodward make the entire topic of SBW, a boring and exaggerated one.

Yep, the Nonu - SBW - Smith combination looks like the centres combination that the AB's will use next year ... it really doesn't matter who's meant to be ranked number one, or who's better ... that's just a person's personal opinion anyway - they are all likely to be used in any given match, and the replacement player is just as important to how the team goes in this day in age, as the starting player anyway

BTW: What did he do when Englands midfield bothered to come out of the changing room? (I.E. The 2nd Half)

If I'm not mistaken his big linebreak was in the second half, just before the England try that never was.

Don't be petty Nick, I still like Gear despite the deafening bandwagon.

If I'm not mistaken his big linebreak was in the second half, just before the England try that never was.

Don't be petty Nick, I still like Gear despite the deafening bandwagon.
Pffft, I lead the bandwagon! In fairness though, Gear has spent three years proving to all his doubters that he is quality. I don't think there are many people who don't think SBW is a good player, I just think there are people who don't think the NZRU sent a good message by signing him (me), or don't think he should replace Ma'a Nonu on the bases of one MOTM performance, considering Nonu has over 50 matches in which he's proved his worth.

I admit, it'll be interesting to see the centres picked this RWC. Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu and Sonny Bill Williams are in front (all of whom may feature prominantly in the RWC), Isia Toeava (utility), Richard Kahui (who's proven to be a very good player in the All Blacks), Rene Ranger and Robert Fruean. New Zealand is really spoilt for talent in the centres, and realistically only four of those players can get a spot come RWC. Scary to think how much real quality we have in our centres and back three, it'd be nice if it was spread to 1st 5/8th.

The only thing that is missing to secure SBW from his starting position is a try. He can set up a good attack, good defense but so far no try.

The only thing that is missing to secure SBW from his starting position is a try. He can set up a good attack, good defense but so far no try.

Not really, I don't think a try will mean much at all. If you're setting up plenty of tries, then it doesn't matter who scores them.

SBW is a top centre. He has proved it in the game, all he lacks is the experience and field position, but he will get that easily with experience. Next seasons super rugby competition will be the prime time for him to gain that experience and come tri nations he will be close to the finished product...

Nonu to me is still ahead and its just great to see two of Umaga's protege's in the limelight for his former position....

SBW is a top centre. He has proved it in the game, all he lacks is the experience and field position, but he will get that easily with experience. Next seasons super rugby competition will be the prime time for him to gain that experience and come tri nations he will be close to the finished product...

Nonu to me is still ahead and its just great to see two of Umaga's protege's in the limelight for his former position....

Fingers crossed he stays in New Zealand after the world cup because Nonu and Smith are sure to leave don't you think? I think Sonny needs a few years in the black jersey

If Sonny leaves, alot of Kiwis will hate him. But I cant see any of the All Blacks leaving. Even Carter, I think he'll stay. Only one im not too sure about is SBW

Toulon have said they want him back "home" after the WC (their words, not mine - they said his rugby home is France)

What's this? News abound that SBW is being a mercenary?

Well I never...

Latest posts