• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill Williams Rejects Toulon offer to chase All Black Dream

M24

Academy Player
Sonny Bill Williams has rejected a massive offer from his French rugby club to chase a spot in the All Blacks side for next year's World Cup.

Williams, who has been playing for Toulon since walking out on NRL club the Bulldogs in 2008, will announce an 18-month deal with the NZRU this week, Fairfax has reported.

The 24-year-old has not yet decided which NZ-based Super rugby side he will link with, the report said.

But Williams and his partner both have family in Auckland, the home city of the Blues.

Toulon reportedly tabled a three-year offer to Williams worth $6 million, while the NZRU could only come up with $550,000 per year.

Williams could be playing provincial rugby in NZ within weeks and is eyeing a place in the All Blacks' spring tour squad, which will play a Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia in Hong Kong on October 30.

Hmm, bit arrogant of him to think he can just walk straight into the all blacks for the WC, but fair enough, turning down $2mil a year for 550,00 show's he's not in it for the money

M24 please provide the source when you are copying and pasting an article!

Good on him. That's a fair degree of ambition he's shown. He'll be 26 when his NZ deal runs out so he'll still be able to command a huge pay packet then. It must have been bloody hard to walk away from Toulon's riches though!

He's never going to get picked in a big game ahead of Nonu, McAlistair or Smith, far to cocky and not nearly as good as the hype suggests.

Still, fair play for having a go.

He's never going to get picked in a big game ahead of Nonu, McAlistair or Smith, far to cocky and not nearly as good as the hype suggests.

Still, fair play for having a go.

I dunno ... he has been pretty good for Toloun. He offers something different. In the end he will probably be capped but against the likes of Fiji and Samoa.

I don't care about his attitude, he is a ridiculously talented player. Power and pace to go past any man with great hands and just a general unpredictable nature which makes me a fan of his. After a good S14 I can easily see him playing for the AB's in a world cup.

I think he has a great chance of getting into the All Blacks team and well if we're honest Nonu is really battering ram, McAllister is playing poorly and well I think the 2 centre spots are up for grabs in the All Blacks team and if Williams produces what he did for Toulon then he'll earn that shirt.

He'll get obliterated in test rugby unless he starts using his support and carrying the ball with 2 hands. I won't even start on the cocky 1 handed passing.

Or he'll last 15 minutes before his first red card if he doesn't learn how to tackle properly (when he actually makes one before the ball is gone).

Hmm, bit arrogant of him to think he can just walk straight into the all blacks for the WC, but fair enough, turning down $2mil a year for 550,00 show's he's not in it for the money

You're kidding right? You know Richie Mccaw doesn't even make that? It proves he is all about money. That is massive for playing in New Zealand. The average gets about $90,000, this includes playing in the NPC. The better players in better unions get payed more. Being an All Black brings in an extra $50,000 or so, the average All Black earns close to $200,000.

Can't wait till he proves all you wrong, he is so overrated it isn't funny. I hope I am wrong about him because then we will win the World Cup as everyone is hyping him up to that standard (Lomu like). I doubt I am though, from what I've seen of him, he is really getting a shocking wake up call and so is New Zealand if you believe the hype.

You're kidding right? You know Richie Mccaw doesn't even make that? It proves he is all about money. That is massive for playing in New Zealand. The average gets about $90,000, this includes playing in the NPC. The better players in better unions get payed more. Being an All Black brings in an extra $50,000 or so, the average All Black earns close to $200,000.

Can't wait till he proves all you wrong, he is so overrated it isn't funny. I hope I am wrong about him because then we will win the World Cup as everyone is hyping him up to that standard (Lomu like). I doubt I am though, from what I've seen of him, he is really getting a shocking wake up call and so is New Zealand if you believe the hype.

How much of his rugby at Toloun this year have you watched?

Probably, 10 games?

He carries the ball in one hand most of the time, which is pretty bad, he needs to work on that or he is going to get ******. He leaves his ribs open too much and I can just imagine someone like Benson Stanley smashing him and making him look stupid. It has disaster written all over it, European rugby is slow and less physical and he will get a huge wake up when he plays Super 14.

You guys seem to forget playing League is like playing NH rugby, it is all about contact, then contact again. SH rugby is about playing smart rugby, opening up gaps and using your skill set, which is something he doesn't have.

Last edited:
Probably, 10 games?

He carries the ball in one hand most of the time, which is pretty bad, he needs to work on that or he is going to get ******. He leaves his ribs open too much and I can just imagine someone like Benson Stanley smashing him and making him look stupid. It has disaster written all over it, European rugby is slow and less physical and he will get a huge wake up when he plays Super 14.

He the one hand ball carry is a problem but I reckon that will be sorted. I think you are underestimating his strength and speed. Of what I have seen he can bounce tackles and can beat a man for pace. He has superb fitness to. Be interesting to see how he gets on down under. But I do think he will be a success at S15 level.

EDIT: Disagree with NH rugby being liked RL. I have seen many a S14 game where its contact, contact and more contact. the same is for NH rugby. I think the statement is a bit of a poor one to be fair. It also leads me to believe that you have watched little of SBW. I go back to the Amlin Final where he cut up the Blues defence at times because he had the skill / speed and strength to fool the defence.

Last edited:
Sonny Bill Williams has rejected a massive offer from his French rugby club to chase a spot in the All Blacks side for next year's World Cup.

Williams, who has been playing for Toulon since walking out on NRL club the Bulldogs in 2008, will announce an 18-month deal with the NZRU this week, Fairfax has reported.

The 24-year-old has not yet decided which NZ-based Super rugby side he will link with, the report said.

But Williams and his partner both have family in Auckland, the home city of the Blues.

Toulon reportedly tabled a three-year offer to Williams worth $6 million, while the NZRU could only come up with $550,000 per year.

Williams could be playing provincial rugby in NZ within weeks and is eyeing a place in the All Blacks' spring tour squad, which will play a Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia in Hong Kong on October 30.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352398/williams-chasing-blacks-dream

To keep the lawyers at rest.

Sonny Bill Williams will return to New Zealand rugby next month, giving up a record contract at French club Toulon in hope of making the All Blacks ahead of next year's World Cup.
The 24-year-old would take up an 18-month contract with the NZRU, but was yet to decide which provincial and Super 15 teams he would play for, the Sydney Morning Herald reported today.
An official announcement would be made this week.
NZRU acting chief executive Neil Sorensen told media two weeks ago an offer had been made to Williams to play rugby in New Zealand from July.
The offer was "appropriate" for his potential, Reuters reported.
"He's not being offered ridiculous money," Sorenson said.
In April, All Blacks coach Graham Henry advised Williams to return to New Zealand this year to stake his claim for a World Cup spot.
Henry said he'd spoken at length to the gifted former Kiwis league international earlier this year as he mulled over his options before his Toulon contract ended this month.
Williams would take a pay cut if he turned his back on offers from Britain and France, and possibly NRL clubs, to return home to chase a Super 14 contract.
He had walked out on a five-year contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs league side in 2008 to join Toulon.
The French club had recently offered him a world-record $6 million, three-year contract, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The NZRU was unable to attempt to match Toulon's offer but had given Williams the choice of which teams he would play for, and he was given the option of returning to Europe or the NRL after the World Cup.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352324/sonny-return-nz-rugby-aiming-blacks

I agree that he's not going to be the revelation everyone is making him out to be. People put down Nonu, but countries would give anything to have an attacking player like Nonu in their team, and he should obviously start ahead of SBW. I'm please SBW is playing for no other reason than he turned down a great deal of money to be playing for the AB's. If he didn't play for the AB's, I'm sure he would play for France for the RWC 2015. Still, he's only played rugby at any level for 2 years, so we can presume he'll get better. I think he could win a spot on the bench depending how McAlister starts playing, or if Benson Standley doesn't perform this season. One thing that confuses me is how commentators keep saying he will be the first Rugby Union/Rugby League dual international player. What was Mark Ellis?

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352398/williams-chasing-blacks-dream

To keep the lawyers at rest.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352324/sonny-return-nz-rugby-aiming-blacks

I agree that he's not going to be the revelation everyone is making him out to be. People put down Nonu, but countries would give anything to have an attacking player like Nonu in their team, and he should obviously start ahead of SBW. I'm please SBW is playing for no other reason than he turned down a great deal of money to be playing for the AB's. If he didn't play for the AB's, I'm sure he would play for France for the RWC 2015. Still, he's only played rugby at any level for 2 years, so we can presume he'll get better. I think he could win a spot on the bench depending how McAlister starts playing, or if Benson Standley doesn't perform this season. One thing that confuses me is how commentators keep saying he will be the first Rugby Union/Rugby League dual international player. What was Mark Ellis?

Would Brad Thorn count? I know he played RL for Australia but surely that does not matter.

He the one hand ball carry is a problem but I reckon that will be sorted. I think you are underestimating his strength and speed. Of what I have seen he can bounce tackles and can beat a man for pace. He has superb fitness to. Be interesting to see how he gets on down under. But I do think he will be a success at S15 level.

EDIT: Disagree with NH rugby being liked RL. I have seen many a S14 game where its contact, contact and more contact. the same is for NH rugby. I think the statement is a bit of a poor one to be fair.

I don't think you realise what a power-house like Nonu is. The fact is, we have the two best centres in the world, Nonu and Smith, no one could break that combo, no one. SBW is going to try and crack it? I see him being at max a bench warmer, but then he will get ****** off with at how little game time he is getting and go cry back to his Top 14 money making. Nonu and Smith are amazing, they are the most underrated pair in rugby. SBW no matter how good he is will never break into that All Blacks team unless Nonu is injured.

I don't think you realise what a power-house like Nonu is. The fact is, we have the two best centres in the world, Nonu and Smith, no one could break that combo, no one. SBW is going to try and crack it? I see him being at max a bench warmer, but then he will get ****** off with at how little game time he is getting and go cry back to his Top 14 money making. Nonu and Smith are amazing, they are the most underrated pair in rugby. SBW no matter how good he is will never break into that All Blacks team unless Nonu is injured.

Think you may need to go back and read a few things I have said. I have never said he would replace Nonu / Smith because they are amazing, I have never questioned that either. What I have said is that if Nonu is playing poor or need another replacement for a different role then SBW would be a good option. I also think saying Nonu is underrated is like saying Gavin Henson is not orange! I don't see SBW being a problem as being a bench warmer. I sure he knows he will have to work hard to even get a look in to the All Blacks squad and work even harder to make it into a match day 22. He will likely get capped at some stage to show how good or not so good he is.

Think you may need to go back and read a few things I have said. I have never said he would replace Nonu / Smith because they are amazing, I have never questioned that either. What I have said is that if Nonu is playing poor or need another replacement for a different role then SBW would be a good option. I also think saying Nonu is underrated is like saying Gavin Henson is not orange! I don't see SBW being a problem as being a bench warmer. I sure he knows he will have to work hard to even get a look in to the All Blacks squad and work even harder to make it into a match day 22. He will likely get capped at some stage to show how good or not so good he is.

I don't read everything as I'm doing other things, but sorry, I stand corrected. SBW wants to play for the All Blacks, he is coming to New Zealand to do that, and he will leave soon realising he is not good enough because if you really think about it, the All Blacks squad is top notch. Of course he would be a good back up to Nonu with a lot of work, but I doubt he has the patience to do that because he wants to play in the 2011 world cup, I reckon if he looks at it with a realistic attitude, 2015. I wouldn't change a thing about the first XV, the only thing they need is a decent halfback, but Jimmy Cowan is solid and he works. We have backup in every position, it is just we have an injury crisis and that is why we are going with Benson Stanley.

I really honestly just don't see him getting any game time in a fully fit All Blacks team, this is Nonus first injury in a long time for the international season and they have brilliant backup in every position he could potentially play, loosies, wings, fullback and centres.

I have bookmarked this thread so a couple of posters will look foolish once he starts tearing it up in NZ. This guy is an A-Grade athlete, his raw skillset would be among the best in world rugby.I also don't think you guys realise that he played alot of rugby as growing up, he isn't learning from scratch, just remembering. He even captained his auckland rollermills team if i remember correctly.

"SH rugby is about playing smart rugby, opening up gaps and using your skill set, which is something he doesn't have. "
This is the biggest facepalm comment in the thread. Just. Facepalm.

Latest posts