• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa director of rugby Rassie Erasmus to face misconduct hearing

holy **** dude log off. I know you proudly display you're from a flyover state but to display that level of ignorance about he relative ratio of GBP to USD is something I can't comprehend.

Edit: Seriously, have you never accidentally turned on Fox Business or CNBC for 3 seconds?
Might need to get your sarcasm detector recalibrated, Ole Mole.

And so the memes appear.

Attachments

• AC9C23ED-18F5-4E4D-8C63-F8E3D4C6D94C.jpeg
    AC9C23ED-18F5-4E4D-8C63-F8E3D4C6D94C.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 64D712DB-3AE9-416E-93C6-5C0A447EE86F.jpeg
    64D712DB-3AE9-416E-93C6-5C0A447EE86F.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 550D8460-0D39-4A03-B573-428AB4D493DB.jpeg
    550D8460-0D39-4A03-B573-428AB4D493DB.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 29
Saffers can print this off to wear at the Twickers game on Saturday.

Attachments

• EDF3000F-E80D-4FE6-B942-AC881A8031CB.jpeg
    EDF3000F-E80D-4FE6-B942-AC881A8031CB.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 9
It seems Peyper denies Berrys claims, putting doubt on the truthfulness of Berry's testimony.

Maine Takeaway
Their detailed evidence was set out in the post-hearing document published by the judicial committee. In it, it outlined what was said at the hearing by Berry and fellow referee Peyper. "I'm able to get Jaco on the phone," said Berry. "We speak for ten minutes. He tells me that Rassie has called him and wants him to comment on the clips.

"Jaco refuses and said that it is unprofessional and out of protocol. He says that Rassie is putting AJ Jacobs under pressure to comment on the clips as he is in camp with the SA team. We discuss the fact that Rassie has threatened to leak footage on social media. I ask Jaco for his advice and he suggests that I should try and get ahead of it and respond to Rassie's clips."

In contrast, Peyper claimed: "Mr Berry did not indicate to me that Rassie threatened to leak footage on social media. He only asked for my advice whether he should provide answers to the video clips received from the Springbok management team and I recommended that from experience he should do so, as that often defuses the media reporting the next day as teams now engage with the referee and not the mainstream rugby media.

"My view, as expressed to Mr Berry during the telephonic conversation, was that it would be preferable for him to engage with the Springbok management team rather than to ignore the request as in my experience, providing a response has had the effect of diffusing tensions between coaches and referees. This, in turn, leads to fewer comments in the media about refereeing decisions from previous matches and an increased focus on preparations for upcoming matches."

Last edited:
the truthfulness of Berry's testimony.
Why would Berry lie about something so minor when literally everything else in his testimony has been verified?
If anything it makes Peyper look bad, as he's obviously "misremembering" to protect the SARU (who are technically his employers, not world rugby)

It seems Peyper denies Berrys claims, putting doubt on the truthfulness of Berry's testimony.

Maine Takeaway
Their detailed evidence was set out in the post-hearing document published by the judicial committee. In it, it outlined what was said at the hearing by Berry and fellow referee Peyper. "I'm able to get Jaco on the phone," said Berry. "We speak for ten minutes. He tells me that Rassie has called him and wants him to comment on the clips.

"Jaco refuses and said that it is unprofessional and out of protocol. He says that Rassie is putting AJ Jacobs under pressure to comment on the clips as he is in camp with the SA team. We discuss the fact that Rassie has threatened to leak footage on social media. I ask Jaco for his advice and he suggests that I should try and get ahead of it and respond to Rassie's clips."

In contrast, Peyper claimed: "Mr Berry did not indicate to me that Rassie threatened to leak footage on social media. He only asked for my advice whether he should provide answers to the video clips received from the Springbok management team and I recommended that from experience he should do so, as that often defuses the media reporting the next day as teams now engage with the referee and not the mainstream rugby media.

"My view, as expressed to Mr Berry during the telephonic conversation, was that it would be preferable for him to engage with the Springbok management team rather than to ignore the request as in my experience, providing a response has had the effect of diffusing tensions between coaches and referees. This, in turn, leads to fewer comments in the media about refereeing decisions from previous matches and an increased focus on preparations for upcoming matches."
In their summation of these two contradictory pieces of evidence, the judicial committee wrote: "We considered with care the evidence of Jacob Peyper. He denied that during the call at 19.51 that night Nic Berry told him that Rassie Erasmus had threatened to leak the clips on social media. He denied in robust and direct terms that Nic Berry showed him a draft version of his statement which Nic Berry said he approved.

"Nic Berry was more circumspect in his evidence and characterised the difference as one of recollection. We do not need to resolve that dispute between refereeing colleagues. There is ample evidence, which we accept, which supports Nic Berry's version of events."

Why would Berry lie about something so minor when literally everything else in his testimony has been verified?
If anything it makes Peyper look bad, as he's obviously "misremembering" to protect the SARU (who are technically his employers, not world rugby)
Are you saying you are completely disregarding the possibility that a man who "says his career has been tarnished" could not possibly twist the story to be in line with his narrative? Then gets corrected when one of the parties involved by Berry denies this claim as his name is now involuntarily also being discussed in the media?
Not putting words in your mouth just asking for clarification. Want to gauge whether there is blind faith in ALL of Berry's statements

Should say this is minor, the issue is the video itself not the circumstances that led to its release. The circumstances just increase/decease the sanction.

Are you saying you are completely disregarding the possibility that a man who "says his career has been tarnished" could not possibly twist the story to be in line with his narrative? Then gets corrected when one of the parties involved by Berry denies this claim as his name is now involuntarily also being discussed in the media?
Not putting words in your mouth just asking for clarification. Want to gauge whether there is blind faith in ALL of Berry's statements
Just don't see why berry would lie about something so minor when all his other statements were true/verified

Just don't see why berry would lie about something so minor when all his other statements were true/verified
Especially when "2 people have slightly different recollections of a conversation" is a perfectly normal and natural thing that happens every day

Exactly. The only difference between the two statements was whether Berry informed Peyper of Rassie's threat to release the clips onto social media. If that's the only discrepancy from a 10min conversation, that sounds perfectly normal to me. Either Berry thought he said but hadn't, or Peyper didn't remember, both would be understandable. There's a possibility one of them is lying, but doubt either would admit to that, and there's no evidence, so not really worth discussing. Just move on, doesn't discredit any of Berry's testimony if you ask me.

Rugby Pass talking utter shite? Colour me shocked.
Nah they weren't my quote was also from their article. They are trying to make a bigger deal out of it than it is but reporting fairly on it.

People of course shared what they wanted from it, or just read the headline.

Nah they weren't my quote was also from their article. They are trying to make a bigger deal out of it than it is but reporting fairly on it.

People of course shared what they wanted from it, or just read the headline.
It's a deliberate inflammatory headline, which you expect from Rugby Pass.

Exactly. The only difference between the two statements was whether Berry informed Peyper of Rassie's threat to release the clips onto social media. If that's the only discrepancy from a 10min conversation, that sounds perfectly normal to me. Either Berry thought he said but hadn't, or Peyper didn't remember, both would be understandable. There's a possibility one of them is lying, but doubt either would admit to that, and there's no evidence, so not really worth discussing. Just move on, doesn't discredit any of Berry's testimony if you ask me.
TBH, I'd find the most likely scenarios:
Berry brought it up, but in a fairly roundabout / not explicit way, and Peyper didn't realise that's what he meant.
or
Berry intended to bring it up, but the conversation moved in such a way that he never got round to it, but had practiced saying it a few times, and it became a recollection.

Anyone who thinks either of these things is abnormal has obviously never been married.

Oh. I was just going off what an American friend of mine said. Jeez ive told lots of people that 'fact'.

Also just made up the numbers for what tier one rugby players get on average, didnt feel like I needed to be that accurate to make the point. More pertinent now I guess.
Alot of NFL guys invest smartly and have alot of other business interests so may be that route

Latest posts