• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa in Australia

When SA wins the 3rd test match in a couple of days we will be the no.1 test side in the world

Can't wait!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jan 1 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jan 1 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jan 1 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When SA wins the 3rd test match in a couple of days we will be the no.1 test side in the world

Can't wait![/b]

Same here
[/b][/quote]

And that coming from an Aussie?good on you mate ;)
[/b][/quote]

it will be good to see the Aussie dominance end. South Africa clearly deserve the no.1 spot.

I don't think I will be a alone. Its hard to support a team with a bunch of arrogant selectors who have nfi.

Bad news for SA for the T20s and ODI series

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Smith to miss T20s, ODI series[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Graeme Smith will be returning home after the final test against Australia at Sydney to improve his chances of recovering from his chronic elbow injury, and will thus miss the two T20 internationals and the five ODIs later this month, Cricket SA announced on Thursday.

As a result Neil McKenzie will remain with the ODI squad in Smith's place to provide some additional experience and expertise in the dressing room as well as back-up batting.

Smith will undergo a new medical process that has not been used in South Africa before of having blood from his arm injected directly into the tear.

"We have decided to send Graeme (Smith) home after (the) Sydney (test) to give him the best chance of getting ready for the home series," commented coach Mickey Arthur. "He will have the blood injection as soon as he gets back and we think that by following this course of action as soon as possible after Sydney, we will give him the best possibility opportunity of being fit for the home series.

"It does give us an opportunity with our ODI side. As I have always said, our one-day side is still a work in progress, it is still a young side, and we are giving an opportunity to some younger guys to stake a claim. We are looking to build our one-day side over the next two years which obviously culminates in the next World Cup on the sub-continent in 2011.

"So it will be a slightly younger one-day side. Johan Botha will take over as captain and we will keep another wise head in the dressing room in the form of Neil McKenzie. He will stay as cover in the batting department and we think that is the best route to go.

"It is unfortunate to lose your captain but we need to give him the best opportunity to be ready for the test series in South Africa."

Arthur also gave an insight into the pain Smith had had to endure to get through the test series.

"It is amazing what he has endured. He is four or five cortizone injections down the line. We thought the cortizone was going to work but that is not going to be the case. He has basically been getting by on cortizone since Edgbaston.

"He goes through a huge amount of discomfort and it seems to get a lot worse when he reaches 40 or 50. It almost gets to a point when he can't grip the bat with his top hand any more. He is desperate to play at Sydney and make it a great match for the team and for South Africa. He has a very high pain threshold."

Arthur said there was no chance that the euphoria of the test series win or the festivities over the New Year would be allowed to deviate the team from its course.

"We have the opportunity to create a dynasty much like Australia did over the last 12 years and that opportunity starts right here and now. We learned a very valuable lesson when we took our foot off the pedal after we had won the series in England. We lost the test match at The Oval and then battled to get the momentum back.

"We don't want that to happen again here at Sydney, so it is definitely business as usual.

"Victory would be huge for us. It would be another rung up the ladder if you like. But we are hugely realistic. We still regard Australia highly. They have been the world leaders for a long time and they are going to be there or thereabouts in future. We regard what they have done as a benchmark and we want to take this opportunity and run with it and move forward with it."

Ashwell Prince had a hit in the nets yesterday but a final decision on his fitness is unlikely to be taken until Friday at the earliest.

He both has to return to full fitness and to have sufficient game preparation time to be considered for selection.[/b]

So I guess Gibbs will be returning as the other opener then...

Two quick wickets for South Africa, although the story with this sidescreen is taking the **** completely. Katich will be kicking himself for not going on and making a big score, hard to say yet whether Hayden is set, at least he's still there but only 13 runs compared to Katich's quickfire 47. Nice straight drive for 4 though.

Clarke again restoring the ship. When will they learn Hussey aint a four, especially having to face the new ball so early all the time. I'm furious they've continued to pick all rounders, go back to picking a batsman for no.6 spot.

The Aussies are 267 for 6 at stumps on day 1, watches some highlights this morning and saw Ponting going for a duck, brilliant ball from Morkel.

The sad thing is that we dropped two catches, I'll give Ntini credit, he made a good effort but Amla dropped an absolute sitter.

Aussies should get around about 350 with Steyn getting 3 more wicket to complete another fiver :cheers:

Astonishing batting from our tail again, picking up the top order scraps yet again.

Well looks as though Smith, regardless of his elbow, would be missing the ODI's anyway. Broken knuckle, ouch! Could be out for 6 weeks I heard the Aussie <strike>cheerleaders</strike> commentators say.

Kallis looks set to crack 10,000 runs tomorrow also!

Australia well in control now having taken 2 quick wickets with Morkel and Harris falling. They'll be looking to at least take a hundred run lead into their second innings.

well they're certainly in charge of this test match now having a lead of 145 at the close of day 3 and a huge advantage with Smith not batting in the 2nd innings either. Should get the consolation win and at least hold onto the number 1 spot in the test rankings

Damn!Isn't it a bit unfair when a batsman goes "out" cause of a retiered hurt that they can't replace him with the 12th man so that he can come and bat?I mean when a guy gets injured in rugby they replace him with a sub, why not the same in cricket...?

Oh well not all will be lost for us if we loose this test, we still won the series and thats what matters the most, we'll just get that no.1 spot when the Aussies comes and visit us here in SA

This pitch is turning into a minefield.

Persisting with Siddle is paying off but I reckon Bollinger will be a better bowler, is stuart clark missing the sa tour

Ok, just who in the hell is Doug Bollinger trying to kid with that ridiculous looking hairpiece?

Looks like Australia will wrap this one up tonight seeing as SA are 6 down with no Graeme Smith to come. Only De Villiers can save SA now, with the help of some lower order batting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Jan 7 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok, just who in the hell is Doug Bollinger trying to kid with that ridiculous looking hairpiece?[/b]

who cares? he's playing test cricket

i hate the siddle bandwagoners, after his 5fa claim to be his biggest fan, didnt see them say that before his 5fa :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jan 7 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Jan 7 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, just who in the hell is Doug Bollinger trying to kid with that ridiculous looking hairpiece?[/b]

who cares? he's playing test cricket
[/b][/quote]

Yes, he is... very averagely in fact. I just had to have a dig at his rug!

McDonald looks quite handy though, need to see him bat more though. Johnson has proved to me what a good bowler he is, seems like a decent sort of a guy also.

You gotta say though that the toss determined the outcome of this game. The pitch was a joke in the last innings and the Aussie bowlers definitely used it to their advantage.

Latest posts