• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British & Irish Lions - Test 1

How loose will the game get if Murray and Faz come on though.
Second half gameplan:
Kick to Kolbe so often he gets knackered running it back and the gaps open up down that wing, try and make up the try deficit in the dying minutes

How loose will the game get if Murray and Faz come on though.

See I get that gameplan but surely Smith and Davies should've been on the bench then?

This is what I'm a bit confused about to how they will play the 2nd half.
Forwards suggest energy and pace to counter the 'bomb squad'. The backs of Murray and Farrell suggest them slowing the pace down and playing for territory

SA by 7+ I think. Don't see where the Lions break them down and score tries early and don't see how the Lions get the ball when they being on that sub front row.

Seems like Gatland has picked a team to stop them playing more than anything else, not really what anyone wants to see from the Lions and not something to do against a team with a guaranteed game breaker in Kolbe and a few more potential/likely ones.

This is what I'm a bit confused about to how they will play the 2nd half.
Forwards suggest energy and pace to counter the 'bomb squad'. The backs of Murray and Farrell suggest them slowing the pace down and playing for territory
I think it can be both. Forwards bringing pace and energy doesn't necessarily mean playing wide expansive rugby and running rings around them; it can just as easily mean bringing more pace to the break down to dominate possession - possession which Murray and Farrell can hopefully then turn into territory.

Smith is way better at playing the territory game than Farrell though. Farrell's in game kicking has been terrible.
If only Gatland had the best ten in world rugby over the past 12 years at controlling where on the pitch the game is played at his disposal. He'd be the perfect bench option for what it appears he's trying to do.

I'd say Gatland's biggest regret with this squad is that he didn't get the opportunity to drop BO'D again.

Ahem. Don't think there's any value in bringing Murray on late, particularly if you're chasing a game. I actually do think you can make hay from kicking to that SA back three, even if it went disastrously last time out.

Despite SA not having a 6:2 split I'd expect them to use the forward subs in similar way.
New coach though so they could change it up.

Rassie is still in charge. It's like when Putin's two terms as President were up and he job swapped with Medvedev but he was still calling the shots.

Wonder if Gatland will become a water boy too.

Rassie is still in charge. It's like when Putin's two terms as President were up and he job swapped with Medvedev but he was still calling the shots.

Wonder if Gatland will become a water boy too.
Looks like he's been enjoying retirement a bit too much to do all that jogging on/off tbh

AWJ is a joke. Jones over Sutherland I get is preferable, both good players.

Lawes at 6 is odd.
I'm of the opinion that the one led to the other.

If AWJ is on the pitch, you need a third lock to do that work. I'd still have thought Bierne could do that, and do it better though (not to mention, wouldn't have had AWJ in there to start with)

Last edited:
Think this is a decent team, i think this game what ever the result is going to setup a lot of changes for game 2 so they play their hearts out for game 3. I imagine thats what he'll be saying to them that games 1&2 are trials for 3. i'd expect only 8-9 players to play both games 1 and 2. It's intresting if anyone followed what I said :D