• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa vs British & Irish Lions - Test 1

Discipline was the difference there. Pretty unimpressive offense from both teams.

Sounds like I've got to adjust my prediction to 2-1 Boks

Lions winning via terrible refereeing

Yeah I was confused why the Boks changed their front row so early into the 2nd half

I'm genuinely shocked the Boks just didn't turn up that half and got completely bossed around.
Looked knackered in the 2nd half. A team that hasn't played in 2 years and it showed.

TBF this is what the test series needed. Expect the Boks to be much better in the 2nd test and will come back strongly. Having said that Lions need to finish them off in the 2nd test.

I honestly thought the scrum was going to be the Lions downfall especially in the last 20 or 30, pleasantly suprised.

They looked what they were, rusty.

We rode our luck a bit, but the history books will show a win.

Told you Lawes at 6 was a good idea.....
It was his best game there sure, I'd still play him in the second row and bin AWJ and have Beirne starting but thatnisnt happening.

Thats was a great game. Well played Lions.
Concur. Itoje MotM?

Was good to see us up against stern opposition.

Well. That'll set up a good series I'd imagine.

A few 50/50 not going our way and non-calls not a big issue for me. That'll happen. The thing I have issue with is the throw ins at the line-out being consistently skew and making the line out a non-competition where Etzebeth is possibly the world's best #2 defensive jumper. The Lions got parity and even the upper hand at the scrum so that makes the line out additionally important. I expect Marius Jonker will not be invited to braais for a while. He could've piped up on foul play that went unregistered. Arme doos. That is about the extent of my little rant.

The lack of set piece dominance and loss of the aerial battle is predominantly what cost us but the boys made me proud. Fassi for me to come in on the wing. We need the ability in the air. I've said so before and I stand by it. Lions will continue with what worked for them and maybe even bring in Adams or Williams for DvdM to add additional pressure. Its a way for them around- or rather over- our collision advantage as I felt we had the rub of it in contact.

Man, Willemse is stepping up though the few opportunities he has had.

Bad luck boys. Get 'em next game! Might Vermeulen be fit for the next or last match? Not that Smith went terrible mind you.

Last edited:
Lions winning via terrible refereeing
Nah, think it about evened out given some of the calls that went against Lions earlier on.

Sets up the series nicely and I'm sure both sides will be making adjustments.

Big issue for next week will SA be so rusty? Another day they score those trys. Biggar getting swapped for Farrell.

Concur. Itoje MotM?

Was good to see us up against stern opposition.

Well. That'll set up a good series I'd imagine.

A few 50/50 and non-calls not as big an issue for me as the throw ins at the line-out being consistently skew and making the line out a non-competition where Etzebeth is possibly the world's best #2 defensive jumper. The Lions got parity and even the upper hand at the scrum so that makes the line out additionally important. I expect Marius Jonker will not be invited to braais for a while. He could've piped up on foul play that went unregistered. Arme doos. That is about the extent of my little rant.

The lack of set piece dominance and loss of the aerial battle is predominantly what cost us but the boys made me proud. Fassi for me to come in on the wing. We need the ability in the air. Man, Willemse is stepping up though the few opportunities he has had.

Bad luck boys. Get 'em next game! Might Vermeulen be fit for the next or last match? Not that Smith went terrible mind you.

See I thought Smith's inability to handle the kicks cost SA a few points.
Him and the Kolbe wing was clearly target for them with DVDM putting on pressure.

There was a delicious irony AWJ protesting the SA try after supporting the Welsh try against England

Latest posts