• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Southern Kings 2013

Eze, has it slipped your mind that Ross Cronje plays for the Lions? ;)
I'll take Tian Meyer and Ruan Botha (provided we drop Sykes). Pat Cilliers would be a good call, but Province will probably hand him a blank cheque.

Ross Cronje wants to finish his study at UJ first, so he won't be coming back to Durban any time soon.

seems like a harsh way of removing the lions

im a bit light in my knowledge of springbok rugby
but is it the classic old farts running it? just like the north

The way I'd put it is it's a tug of war between the old farts and the new old farts with a political agenda.

Eze, has it slipped your mind that Ross Cronje plays for the Lions? ;)
I'll take Tian Meyer and Ruan Botha (provided we drop Sykes). Pat Cilliers would be a good call, but Province will probably hand him a blank cheque.

WPRU SHOULD give Cilliers a blank cheque. Unfortunately what we should do and what we end up doing more often than not don't meet. Possibly because we are effectively owned by the Blue Bulls possibly because of our own stupidity but the end result is what it is.

Haha, remarkable.

South African rugby is just a constant circus.

SARU Agenda:
1. Sign a five year plan with SANZAR to start a new Super Rugby format which includes 5 teams per conference.
2. Promise Southern Kings a team in Super Rugby.
3. Realize that 5+1= 6. One more than the agreement in stage one.
4. Complain to SANZAR.
5. Get rejected.
6. Tell an Lions they have to leave the competition.
Lions Agenda:
1. Get themselves in financial difficulty
2. Get told they're not going to be in Super Rugby
3. Suspend head coach who won them CC
4. Fire assistant coaches
5. Lose players to other teams

Credit to South Africa for being the second best team in the world, with the worst administration.

The way I'd put it is it's a tug of war between the old farts and the new old farts with a political agenda.

WPRU SHOULD give Cilliers a blank cheque. Unfortunately what we should do and what we end up doing more often than not don't meet. Possibly because we are effectively owned by the Blue Bulls possibly because of our own stupidity but the end result is what it is.

Anybody know who is off-contract with the GLRU this season? We can then divide the players up between WP, Blue Bulls, and Sharks.

The Scarlets now think they are signing Jacobie Adriaanse, no clue of the source. I can't imagine Cilliers wanting to leave South Africa now, making the Springbok 22 recently.

Anybody know who is off-contract with the GLRU this season? We can then divide the players up between WP, Blue Bulls, and Sharks.

The Scarlets now think they are signing Jacobie Adriaanse, no clue of the source. I can't imagine Cilliers wanting to leave South Africa now, making the Springbok 22 recently.

Aren't all the Lions players now out of contract seeing that they won't be playing Super Rugby next year? They can still be contracted as Golden Lions players and play Vodacom cup and Currie Cup, and then the other Franchises could contract them just for the Super Rugby, which I'm sure the big guns at the Lions would want instead of sticking around and play Vodacom Cup during the Super Rugby tournament...

I wonder what would Elton Jantjies do seeing that his family lives in Pretoria and his brother is at the Bulls...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I've always wondered, what exactly have Southern Kings done to earn themselves a franchise? Surely one could be offered to a more legitimate team, like the Pumas for example.

The issue with that is that the smaller unions are already represented (on paper) in a different franchise.

Griffons and Griquas are part of the Cheetahs franchise
Valke is part of the Bulls franchise
Leopards and Pumas are part of the Lions franchise
Boland is part of the Stormers franchise

That leaves Border, SWD and EP Kings to form the Southern Kings franchise.

The Sharks franchise is the only one made up of just 1 union.

With that in mind, the 3 unions not yet represented got picked in stead of making a whole new franchise and breaking up the Cheetahs franchise for instance (If Griquas was formed as a franchise)

Aren't all the Lions players now out of contract seeing that they won't be playing Super Rugby next year? They can still be contracted as Golden Lions players and play Vodacom cup and Currie Cup, and then the other Franchises could contract them just for the Super Rugby, which I'm sure the big guns at the Lions would want instead of sticking around and play Vodacom Cup during the Super Rugby tournament...

I wonder what would Elton Jantjies do seeing that his family lives in Pretoria and his brother is at the Bulls...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Haven't you already got Steyn on your books? Cronjé, Fouché, Pollard as well.
I think WP should look at signing him, as he can kick goals but might actually inspire something. On second though, go to the Bulls, Elton!

@Feic, *****ed at SARU; Cheeky ******* Watson has called his friends. I expect Luke Watson to be named the the glorious leader of the Kings for life.

WOW ... I just realised that former Crusaders Hooker, Matt Sexton, is the coach of the Kings ... back in the day, he used to vie for the starting position at the Saders with the now Hurricanes coach, Mark Hammett ... perhaps they can now renew their rivalry as the least popular Super Rugby coaches :)

Jantjies to the Bulls would be a disgrace. WP need a proper running fly-half. Cheetahs have Goosen, Sharks have Lambie, Bulls have Pollard. If Jantjies moves to CT, we will have 4 very good options for fly-half come 2015.

Rumours are going around that Andries Strauss is moving to the Kings! This will be their 3rd signing in 2 weeks after they already confirmed the arrival of Demetri Catrakilis and Steven Sykes. Nothing official yet, but as soon as it becomes official, it will be another huge boost for the Kings.

From this side of the Indian Ocean, this "Southern Kings" decision seems like madness...no top-flight rugby in Jo'berg.

It would be like not having the Blues in from New Zealand, dropped in favour of including Stewart Island, or not having a team from Sydney, dropped in favour of Tasmania.

Rumours are going around that Andries Strauss is moving to the Kings! This will be their 3rd signing in 2 weeks after they already confirmed the arrival of Demetri Catrakilis and Steven Sykes. Nothing official yet, but as soon as it becomes official, it will be another huge boost for the Kings.

Catrakilis is not yet confirmed to go to the Kings...

AC said last week that they are looking at their squad for next year, and Demetri could still be part of their plans. If not, only then will they release him to the kings as they still have a window to match the Southern Kings' offer.

Well, the issue is not the inclusion of the Kings or the exclusion of the Lions but the way it's been handled. If only SARU could have taken this scenario into account during the Super Rugby negotiations regarding format changes back in 2010-2011, it would have been clear for all teams the lowest ranked SA team would face promotion/relegation matches against the Kings.

Now, the Lions only heard about this after the season was already over and there is no play-off match between the 2 teams.

well Catrakilis will be stupid if he doesn't go to the Kings, well if they gautentee him 1st team starts in Super rugby its a given, no use he stays at WP cuz of the money but wont feature as Grant as co will start... mmm did they maybe try and offer Lambie something :? if i'm lambie and tehy offeer me strating on flyhalf i'd go... better than playing fullback for the sharks, or is michalak off somewhere else next year an lambie to start op 10 :?

Michalak is gone. He moved to Toulouse (Or Toulon, not sure now) but Lambie is the first choice fly-half next season. Unless Jantjies joins the Sharks.

Michalak is gone. He moved to Toulouse (Or Toulon, not sure now) but Lambie is the first choice fly-half next season. Unless Jantjies joins the Sharks.
ok good for Pat! Now he can show his stuff so that blind mole HM can see, wat Morne Stain (like in ****) is not doing...

i have a feeling that Johan Goosen is going to go to the Bulls in the near future...

Well, I rather have Lambie with the Sharks now than on the bench for the Boks. I never wish an injury upon a player but I sincerely hope Morne Steyn breaks his ankle or something.