TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
This might only be me, but I think my fellow South Africans will agree that this week could become quite a momentous one for the future of South African rugby.

Tuesday - 2 August:
We find out if the EP Kings will be liquidated, and if so, they will not participate in the Currie Cup premier division as per agreement with SARU that all Super Rugby teams will automatically play in the premier division. But that's not all, they might not even participate in the second division, and this could lead to the Kings not playing in next year's Super Rugby tournament.

Wednesday - 3 August:
It is our local government election day. And from what we can see, is that there are some changes coming with the ANC scrambling to attract voters. This could result in the DA and the EFF winning a lot of wards, which will inevitably result in less ANC members in the National Committee of Provinces, and then it will have an effect on laws and bills being approved and passed. This election could be the start of the end of the quota system.

Thursday - 4 August:
Afriforum will table their proposal to the UN with regard to the quota system in South African sport. Hopefully with the help of the UN, our sports minister will do the right thing and abolish the system before our country feels the wrath of the UN.

Saturday - 6 August:
The Lions are in the Super Rugby final, Allister Coetzee will announce his Springbok team for the Rugby Championship. Hopefully the Lions win, and we end the week on a high note.

We can only hope for the best. What that might be regarding the EP/Kings situation I wouldn't know. Certainly as things stand they don't deserve their spot but long term they have the potential if they can get the backroom in order first. I wouldn't be opposed to the Kings dropping out of SR altogether without SA retaining 6 teams. I think we need the 18th team for the competition format (whatever form that'd be) but think a team based in the Americas (expansion and we are already based in Argentina) or Pacific Islands (then we could have three conferences of 6) would be better.

We can only hope for the best. What that might be regarding the EP/Kings situation I wouldn't know. Certainly as things stand they don't deserve their spot but long term they have the potential if they can get the backroom in order first. I wouldn't be opposed to the Kings dropping out of SR altogether without SA retaining 6 teams. I think we need the 18th team for the competition format (whatever form that'd be) but think a team based in the Americas (expansion and we are already based in Argentina) or Pacific Islands (then we could have three conferences of 6) would be better.

Well, Robbie Kempson has been appointed as the Kings' youth coach, and he said yesterday in a statement that there is no way that the Kings could be competitive in the Currie Cup in either division as their youth team would mostly be used to play the matches. But all of them are still amateurs, and the structures aren't in place yet to be competitive.

I'm very interested to see what SARU does as they will have to put a contingency plan in place should the Kings be dissolved and can't participate in next year's Super Rugby.

Latest posts