• Poll closed .

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
Some of you may remember this from earlier in the month...

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/New...enage-Royston-rugby-player-20140501120938.htm

01165845%20-%20250x264.jpg

[TEXTAREA]"A reckless spectator vented his frustration at watching his son's rugby team get thrashed by tripping up a young Royston player.
The teenager was sent flying as the man deliberately stuck out his foot and tripped him up, just as he was about to score another try"[/TEXTAREA]

Well, the County Board (Herts RFU) with the support of the RFU have banned him for two years (one suspended)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/27604560

I'm interested to know what you guys, as players and fans, think of this.

Last edited:
i have to say i'm surprised he he wasn't charged with assault, the players go on the field expecting and accepting physical contract with the other players...not to be blind sided by a spectator...ever forgetting that aspect an adult doing that to a child is pretty low

I think he should have been banned for 2 years with an additional 3rd year suspended, so effectively an extra year off.

I don't know why you would do that, sure your son's team sucks, but there are options, switch to a better team, get additional coaching, get your son to set himself personal skill and fitness goals in order to improve his game. i've played in some pretty crap sporting teams in my time, i've never seen anything like this especially involving kids, not the greatest example to set as an adult.

I think he should have been banned for 2 years with an additional 3rd year suspended, so effectively an extra year off.

I don't know why you would do that, sure your son's team sucks, but there are options, switch to a better team, get additional coaching, get your son to set himself personal skill and fitness goals in order to improve his game. i've played in some pretty crap sporting teams in my time, i've never seen anything like this especially involving kids, not the greatest example to set as an adult.

I think the game was a final so I doubt his son's team were all that bad, just thoroughly beaten on the day by the looks of it!
Definitely agree with you on the ban though, absolutely no place for it in the game whatsoever! I read about this on the BBC website, and they said that the RFU are apparently starting to be a bit concerned about the number of incidents with parents harassing the opposition and officials. I remember a small team getting a hefty fine and possibly some sort of ban/points deduction a few years ago for repeated offences including harassing refs, spectators running onto the pitch and objects being thrown by spectators too.

Assuming its not all that widespread? I haven't ever seen it personally, but definitely heard a few stories about some of the clubs in my area of Wales having a few unruly incidents during games!

it's about right i think, In the UK i saw a bit of it I played my youth rugby in essex - I'll leave them nameless but I can recall at one club being spat on, tripped and having people step onto the field "accidentally" halting a run down the touch etc... we withdrew all non-competition rugby against hem and as they were gash and we were excellent we never met them in competitive rugby.

I also wish people took this kind of stuff a lot more seriously here in France at the lower levels.

It can get pretty wild on the sideline sometimes, we play against one particular Parisian club who's coaches cannot stay in their technical area for love nor money... we played them this year and they walloped us, as things do when teams get spanked tempers frayed at one point, and their entire bench was on the field getting involved and their head coach was in there as well urging them on - they literally ran half the pitch to get involved.

Post match there are often "confrontations" in the club house afterwards, seldom an actual fight but often words exchanged, having said that at a fed 3 game I attended two weeks ago the tunnel was just an out and out pub brawl i was happy my son wasn't with me.

There are continually edicts pushed down from FFR or whatevere the reffing body here is about subs and spectators not being pitch side and post game behavior but as at this level you don't always have third officials it's a case of self policing and it just doesn't happen and goes unreported - i've also frequently seen refs change a red card for foul play to two yellows post game so as not to get players into trouble and so on.

It certainly isn't enough to ruin the enjoyment of the game and it isn't the norm but sadly it's not that infrequent.

Last edited:
I've never understood what stops him from going to a match eventhow he is banned ? It isn't asif the ref carries a photo with him. But I could imagine other people recognising him but still the last thing a spectator does during a match is look at other spectators.

i will just convey one story from my playing days

late in the game, cant remember the score put our fullback had been replaced. we were camped on their line on the right side of the field (back line out to the left) and the replacement fullback was in the line. we went blind and the ball was intercepted. there guy is gone....and our original fullback who was now on the sideline stepped on...made the front on tackle (nothing dangerous)...waited for the maul to form...then slipped back off...ref never spotted it (muddy, 15 on his back)...pretty bad in hindsight....but at least not a parent nor a trip :huh:

I've never understood what stops him from going to a match eventhow he is banned ? It isn't asif the ref carries a photo with him. But I could imagine other people recognising him but still the last thing a spectator does during a match is look at other spectators.

Nothing, but if he is caught his club will be in trouble and he will get banned for life.

Nothing, but if he is caught his club will be in trouble and he will get banned for life.

Yer I have read somewhere that it's the clubs responsibility to enforce bans. This happend to a player on my team a couple years back and the club had to enforce and make sure he didn't player cos in the end of it he wouldn't get blamed but the club would.

oh and this is my 300th post

I think it's a simple case of assault. So it's up to the victim to lay a complaint against the offender at the police station. Pretty damn low for an adult to assault a kid in any context and here without any provocation just drops it to another level of absurbness. In a perfect world this guy should get his leg torn off and have his testicles crushed with it to avoide further progeny.

How...French of you :p thought you lot reserved that for royalty?

yeah sadly we've toned down like crazy since then...Hollande is one lucky little prostitute. Good days, good days.

No but seriously, a dad tripping some kid...fkng throw him in jail or smt, just wtf, no room for monumental pussies like this in society.

When I played once our captain had a scuffle with an opposition player in a ruck, when they got up the dad of the opposition player was squaring upto our captain on the pitch (we were about 16 at the time!) The ref did nothing so our captain just ended up wrestling with him until the ref finally came over and got him off the pitch. We all stood back as we thought it was hilarious that this 5 foot something guy started on our 6 foot plus blindside :D Looking back at it now it was so ridiculous and should have been dealt with instead of him just being told too stand on the touch line.

I think people are underrating how utterly hilarious this whole thing is.

I think there's need of longer bans,episodes like this are increasing more and more. In South Africa I saw similar things every match I attended,if you like that rugby becomes like football then it's another issue

Last edited:

Latest posts