• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Speed Training

Also you could try doing a bit of hill training? 20-30 metre sprints up a hill will do alot for power in your legs, the only problem is finding a hill that has an incline of between 15- 30 degrees and is flat enough for sprinting up :)

I see quite a few people saying don't do squats for a rugby player, but squats are an absolute staple in any strength/power/speed program, especially for rugby.

The key is learning to do them properly, and once learnt, it is the simplist thing in the world, but use youtube, read Olympic lifting articles and whatever you do, start out on an empty bar until your positions are good. If your knees have problems it's because your not squatting properly. Most people who say squats hurt my knees aren't doing a squat at all, they're trying to fold their body up like an accordian.

There is a reason pretty much every elite athlete uses them from track athletes to football players, pro rugby players, wrestlers. Look and any NFL running back or wide receiver and these guys are fast enough to be successful track athletes and they squat huge weights.

Cheers,
Leighton

indeed. I mean it's just logical. If you carry a lot of your weight and power in your legs, it'll help you be a more explosive and quick player. Flexibility and core strength are also key components, and for that you can stretch and do a lot of plank and suchlike, or you can try ashtanga yoga, or power yoga which is a more demanding style meant to develop overall strength and also makes you much more flexible.

My flexibility is good as I do TaeKwon-Do (I can do splits :p). Anyway I've been doing a lot of leg weights, can max the leg press for around 15 reps. But dislocated my fudging shoulder, so I won't be playing for an age.

Hey, I play on the wing now, I think I'm 3rd fastest following our full back and scrum half/wing/center. I'm 5"10 and weigh 74kilos / 162lb. Anyway to the point, I want to increase my speed.

At the moment, I spend a large proportion of my time in the gym on my legs, do interval training when I have time (rarely unfortunately) and do plyo's. Does anyone know any specific exercises, drills etc. that are good for increasing running speed?
[/b]

Yes the best will be.
One leg dead lifts 10 x 3.
Box Squad 10 x 3
T lifts, Y lifts, L lifts 10 x 3

these exercises is mostly focused on your core. the better and stronger your core the faster you wil be..
Also do a lot of sprints..

I used to lack a bit of speed, but I've worked hard on that and am now pretty quick (40 yard dash 4.56 and 100m approx 11 secs).

I started off by building muscle in my legs (perhaps more than I wanted) via the leg press etc, I then used short sprints 20-50m and plyo exercises to turn that leg strength into genuine speed.

Im 5'7 220lbs duno my 100m time probably around 13-14sec not too sure haven't played in years.

I think speed can be obtained but some people just have natural speed.

I use to be fast as a little fulla but thats when I was like 15yo 5'3 160lbs never trained just use to play touch heaps and found that I got faster the more I played.

Sprinting excersize is very similar to weight training. Your body reacts to it the same. So, building your leg muscles is definitely a positve step. Also, you mentioned Plyometric exercises. These will help develop your quick twitch muscle fibers. So, do exercises like box jumps, and tiyre runs.

Sprinting excersize is very similar to weight training. Your body reacts to it the same. So, building your leg muscles is definitely a positve step. Also, you mentioned Plyometric exercises. These will help develop your quick twitch muscle fibers. So, do exercises like box jumps, and tiyre runs.
[/b]

What are tyre/tire/tiyres runs?

How often should you do each exercise (weights, plyos, sprints) and how long for each?

I've been getting big into fitness since the start of March. Few runs a week plus trying to do sprints training, trying sprints twice a week.

Latest posts