• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spies Gooooooone

J

Juggernaut

My money is on Jacques Cronje going to France.

Pierre Spies has been ruled out of the World Cup after being diagnosed having "clots in his lungs" (pulmonary embolism).

The Springbok team doctor, Yusuf Hassan, has said that Spies is forbidden contact sport for "six to eight months". [/b]

Looks like we wont be able to see how good he really is.

Looks like we wont be able to see how good he really is.[/b]
Yeah, a damn shame really. He looked more then capable of creating a stir but hes still young. Heres to a full and quick recovery.

this is unfortunate aye! i was looking forward to see him play in the WC, being the form number 8 and all. This was a bit of a shocking news item ay

Dammit! Not good at all. Spies has all the potential to make it big on the world stage, and I for one was really looking forward to seeing him produce on the promise come RWC time. Hoping he recovers quickly, pulmonary embolism is a very serious condition.

So it looks like His Royal Bobness will now become the 1st-choice starting 8. And Jacques Shite Hands Cronje`s the loosie on standby, so Juggernaut`s money looks to be fairly safe.

Bismarck du Plessis has been called up in place of Spies. A really good choice in my opinion, as you really require 3 players in the squad that can cover hooker, and by all accounts du Plessis has been in outstanding form...

That sounds like an absolute awful condition. I hope he gets back into the sport as soon as he's better.
I'm not all that knowledgeable in regards to SH rugby, but he was always a player that stood out. Strong, talented and fast like a winger. You don't get too many no.8s like that.

His dad was a winger back in his day, wasn't he?

he was a winger up until only a few years ago - can run a sub 11sec 100m sprint

why no kankowski???!??

that hooker bismack du plessis replaced him? i thought they would have added anohter loosie, oh well i like his name! lol

That sucks!

As rugby fans we all wanna see the best players on the pitch at the RWC,regardless of who they play for. Spies is one of those players who would have added alot of excitement to the tournament..... damn shame.

what a shame! i've only seen him play in a handful of games but i was very impressed.

Yup RC, his old man played on the wing for the Bulls back in his day. Scored the Currie Cup-winning try in the. early 80`s sometime against the Cheetahs, outstripping the cover defense from 35m out. And BOKean`s perfectly right, Spies has a sub-11 second 100m to his name. Used to be u17 or u19 SA 100m champion a few years back

hel be sorely missed coz most of the sa pack is based on wieght and strength sacrafising speed but spies has alot of speed that makes him one of the best in the forwards i dont think du plessis will be able to provide the side with the same threat as spies

espescially considering that hes a hooker...

i read this morning he could be out of rugby indefinately - it is likely that the condition is hereditary (his father and grandfather both died from it) and that he will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of his life, meaning no contact sports...

:(

This is terrible news: for both the Spies family and world rugby.

So there's not even been any confirmation whether he'll ever make it back to rugby?
From what you guys are saying he's like a bullet....that kind of speed mixed with his strength is a potent combination and will surely be missed.

its his size and speed combination thats amazing - huge - 106kg, 6'5'' and just brutal - runs over, through, everyone!

i loved that try he scored against england - broke a tackle, fended the fullback, then spun out of the last tackle to score....

What a loss to rugby......

My money is on Jacques Cronje going to France.

Pierre Spies has been ruled out of the World Cup after being diagnosed having "clots in his lungs" (pulmonary embolism).

The Springbok team doctor, Yusuf Hassan, has said that Spies is forbidden contact sport for "six to eight months". [/b]

Looks like we wont be able to see how good he really is.
[/b]

Cronje has looked terrible this season..no way he's going.

Really wanted to see him playing...hopefully we'll all still get a chance to do so.

I am missing him really much. :cryy:
But I know he will be back and score tries and breaking tackles as before. :bana: