Springbok squad announced!

Discussion in '2017 British & Irish Lions Tour' started by Steve-o, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Saucy

Be back with some comments soon!

EDIT: Hold on, the fools at keo.co.za didn't post the full squad! Will update asap

FURTHER EDIT: Updated!!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Bull

Bull Guest

Bitterly disappointed that Earl Rose is in the squad, and why is Bandise Maku picked for the Emerging Boks but not Derick Kuun? What happened to Heinrich Brussouw and Deon Stegmann? Again Politics! I'm so sick of this, Ricky Januarie was picked because he is a colored! Kockott and Vermaak is much better. There isn't even a recognized fullback.

I'm really glad Morne Steyn was picked because he deserves it.

4. munross

munross Guest

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/article.as...uncement%20live

Edit:Feel really sorry for Heinrich Brussouw and Derick Kuun not being picked, fcuking quota system!!! :wall: :angry:

5. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

Well some surprising selections in there. The positions of the players selected were the 1st thing that popped out. We have 3 looseheads in Carstens, BEAST & Steenkamp. 1 "tighthead" in Smit...
    We have 4 wingers but no recognised fullback. It seems Jer1cho's prediction of F.Steyn playing fullback was right. Unless Rose is gonna play there...

MORNE STEYN in!!! Finally and well done, looking forward to that one.

Not happy with Januarie, Chilliboy & Rose :redcard: Rose is obviously a quota so P Divvy should of just chose Kirchner!!

6. Cymro

Cymro Guest

Surely Terblanche (sp) should have been included?

7. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

IMO he should have but we do have other younger and very able players to select from.

I think having his experience would be vital at the back, P Divvy thinks other wise.

8. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/06/01/ruan-is-th...woods-of-rugby/
    Some "reasoning" (using the word loosely here) for his selections.

How about what P Divvy said about Rose:
    God bless our coach, he seems insane at times.... Most of the time actually.

9. candybum

candybum Guest

Holgy Molgies! Maybe Rose will be in the starting line up if he is in fact that world class.

10. What a team! It seems like the only ones who are not yet legends on the international scene are like the best players in the s14.
    Morné Steyn particularly impressed me, hope he gets some significant caps. So what do you think the starting XV should be?

11. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

Usually with springbok selections, one has to have some sort of stress release available when the news is heard i.e. a squeezy stress ball, or an automatic rifle. However this time, there are no huge glaring selection blunders in the squad and I find myself only mildly irritated that:

1) Stefan Terblanche is not even in the squad
    2) Politicians have once again helped to speed up-and-coming "non-coloured" players on their way to Europe by not selecting them in the Emerging Team. How have Derik Kuun et all not been selected?

12. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

What I hope will be the starting 22:

1)J Smit
    2)B DuPlesis
    3)D Carstens
    4)B Botha
    5) V Matfield
    6)S Burger
    7)J Smith
    8)P Spies
    9)F Du Preez
    10) M Steyn
    11) B Habana
    12) J De Villiers
    13) J Fourie
    14) JP Pieterson
    15) F Steyn

With: Olivier, Pienaar, kankowski, Beast, Ralepelle, Nokwe and bekker on the bench.

This team would contain 12 starting players from the 2007 RWC final.

13. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

This doesn't seem all that bad, politics and what not aside, this is a strong squad. Although using the Jason Robinson defence to try and say that by having lots of backs who can catch and kick that means you have millions of full backs is pure creative accounting, simple as that.

Then again, full back isn't as crucial a position as..say...fly-half and thats something which PdV has made sure he's covered. He probably had that priority right at the top of his Early Learning Center "my first whiteboard" in the Mental Institution where he lives...anyone thinks his Dad is the Professor out of Back to the Future?

Actually, thats where he got the idea from!!!!

<PdV> I wonder how I can create the ultimate rugby player by splicing Joost van der Westhuizen with an Asian Sloth?
    <Professor> *Bursts into his home in the Delorean*
    <Prof> GREAT SCOTT! THIS IS THE YEAR 2009! REMEMBER, SON! IN 2011, JP PIETERSEN WILL BECOME THE BEST FULL BACK IN THE WORLD! EVEN MILLS MULIANA WILL COME TO HIM FOR EDUCATION!
    <Prof> Now excuse me! I have to go back in time to 1997, I have three South African fly halves to kidnap!

14. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

My starting line-up looks to be pretty much spot on. Only thing i had wrong was i had Kirchner being picked ahead of Rose... My biggest disappointment is Schalk Burger being picked. He doesn't deserve to be there. How the hell can he be picked before Heinrich Brussouw? It's because of his reputation. All he is going to do is tackle high and fight. Not happy about that.

How on earth is Derick Kuun not even in the Emerging side? Seriously, wtf?

This would be my guess at the starting 22:

What I hope will be the starting 22:

1) Gurthro Steenkamp (This guy is the best prop in world rugby in my honest opinion...)
    2) Bismark DuPlesis
    3) John Smit ©
    4) Bakkies Botha
    5) Victor Matfield
    6) Schalk Burger (Sigh)
    7) Juan Smith
    8) Pierre Spies

9) Fourie Du Preez

10) Ruan Pienaar
    11) Bryan Habana
    12) Jean De Villiers
    13) Jacques Fourie
    14) JP Pieterson
    15) Francois Steyn

Bench: Wynand Olivier, Morne Steyn, Ryan kankowski, Beast, Chilliboy Ralepelle, Danie Rossouw (or Andries Bekker), Ricky Januarie

That's a pretty dam good side... apart from Burger, unless he by some miracle finds form. Ideally, Pienaar at 15, and Morne Steyn at 10 could work too... But whether Morne Steyn can handle starting in such a huge series is a good question...

15. KZNSharksFan

KZNSharksFan Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jun 2 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    You may have a point about Morne and his lack of experience, but surely if he can steer a raging bulls side around the field with such finesse in the semi and final of the S14, he should be able to step up to a lions tour. He will have the familiar face and infinite experience of Du Preez to relieve pressure and also De Villiers on his outside to provide a calming influence.

Not sure about Pienaar though, if he was on form, I would pick him over M Steyn at 10 anyday. But he hasnt really settled into the flyhalf position that well this season. Also, not sure his attacking game play would suit the territory based game this side seems to be selected for, but who knows what PDV will do.

16. Jer1cho

Jer1cho Guest

Seconded on Pienaar. He is world class when he is fit. Lets just hope that is soon...

17. Woldog

Woldog Guest

Fourie Du Preez is the most annoying Half-back in the world, built like a mini prop with the skill of George Gregan and the kicking ability of Chris Latham.

18. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

My team would be:

1) G. Steenkamp
    2) B. du Plessis
    3) J. Smit
    4) B. Botha
    5) V. Matfield
    6) S. Burger
    7) J. Smith
    8) P. Spies
    9) F. du Preez
    10) R. Pienaar
    11) B. Habana
    12) J. De Villiers
    13) J. Fourie
    14) JP Pietersen
    15) F. Steyn

16) D. Carstens
    17) BEAST!!!!
    18) D. Rossouw
    19) R. Kankowski
    20) R. Januarie
    21) W. Olivier
    22) M. Steyn
    23) ME :bonne-de:

The idea of 2 props is that Smit moves over to hooker later in the game and presumably Carstens will play tighthead although he has not played TH is whole freakin season. A real pity there's no place for Bekker in there, who I rate will be a legend one day. Although He could replace Kankowski and we use Rossouw to cover the backrow instead of Kanko but that will risk that we don't have pace off the bench for the backrow and they don't call him Daniesaurous for nothing.
    Another option is also either Ndungane or Nokwe in place of Olivier as he can only cover centre and we have both Frans Steyn & Morne Steyn who can cover 13 & 12 respectively. Pienaar has also covered 15 before so there's space for both him and M.Steyn on the field.
    I'm really disappointed that Januarie is there. He's been terrible this season. I have a theory that he might be the replacement tighthead prop... How much does he weight nowdays?!

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!