• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Lions squad for 2021 prediction

I don't really know what to say to that, Mako has been on a downward form from the WC and with sarries in the championship it's the last set of games he's played at a high level.

Are you saying you'd ignore form? The lions should be players in top form not poor form and while I agree that Mako on top form is great, he has always struggled in the scrum. My selections are based on who's in the lions squad, so I wouldn't have selected Marler or Healey etc
Where have I said ignore form, form is equally as important as ability and history. I think you have either missed or misenterpreted my OP.
I just don't get this Cult Wyn Jones status. Sutherland has done far more to be deserving of a starting place over a longer, sustained period.
By Welsh fans own admissions their set piece and ability to gain dominance in the tight 5 has been an Achilles heal for quite a period of time. Yet I'm repeatedly seen 3 Welsh players in pundits and fans starting tight 5 makes no sense. It's the equivalent of having Young's, Ford and Farrel as you 9,10 and 12 ...
You and others like have a laser focus on the last six nations, yet the fact that the Welsh played against 7 man packs for the majority of two games is seemingly not of importance

Last edited:
Where have I said ignore form, form is equally as important as ability and history. I think you have either missed or misenterpreted my OP.
I just don't get this Cult Wyn Jones status. Sutherland has done far more to be deserving of a starting place over a longer, sustained period.
By Welsh fans own admissions their set piece and ability to gain dominance in the tight 5 has been an Achilles heal for quite a period of time. Yet I'm repeatedly seen 3 Welsh players in pundits and fans starting XVs makes no sense. It's the equivalent of having Young's, Ford and Farrel as you 9,10 and 12 ...
You and others like have a laser focus on the last six nations, yet the fact that the Welsh played against 7 man packs for the majority of two games is seemingly not of importance
I don't think history is as important as form to be honest. It's important but not as important as how well you've been playing at international level recently.

Is it possible that people just see Wyn Jones as the best all round option at the moment? He has been a pretty consistent performer since the WC semi against SA, was arguably the top performing LH in the 6N, scrummages well, gets over the ball well and is generally in decent form. Is that so hard to believe? I don't think that constitutes a "cult". I definitely don't think he's nailed on but probably the front runner at the moment. But other then TH and 8 I think most positions are up for grabs and I wouldn't be gobsmacked to see either Mako or Sutherland play their way into the test team.

Also, it wasn't for the majority of the Scotland game as Fagersons red came in the 2nd half and if I recall correctly took off a back and left themselves short there rather than in the pack. Might be remembering that wrong though.

The B&I Lions, is a gathering of the 4 home nations (as they used to call them, before some Irish poster starts to attack me). Surely there must be some bit of pride left in the Lions to pick 39-50 players who are born and bred local talent???

Otherwise, this is just going to become a glorified barbarians team, that tours...
I agree with this

When Wyn Jones and Thomas Francis has been 1 and 3 Wales scrum has never struggled against anyone. Neither are destructive scrummagers that'll dominate their oppo and win scrum penalty after scrum penalty, but they'll hold their own against everyone, including SA. Wales struggled in the Autumn when they experimented with the likes of Carre, Brown and Lewis as props.

So Wyn Jones is a solid scrummager, but he's also a good mobile prop who achieves turnovers, racks up a decent tackle count, and get's involved ball in hand. There are better props in the loose, but that tends to be at the expense of scrummaging. He had a great 6 nations too, so recent form is on hid side. He'd be my first choice 1 even if Marler and Healy were there.

Sutherland is another good option, he's another all rounder who posts good stats in most areas. Probably a better ball carrier, but not as good in the tackle area.

Mako for me wouldn't be anywhere near the test side. Vs anyone else than the Boks he'd be right up there, but scrum has gotta come first vs them and Mako is liable to give away penalties and attacking opportunities if he plays. Gats may see things differently though.

Latest posts