• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok Watch - [2016 Super Rugby Season]

Francois, course!
Plenty of options for fh.

Oh, well. I feel we are well covered in the centers as well between De Allende, Kriel, Mapoe and Serfontein all guys who have been involved with the Bokke even if Mapoe hasn't gotten an actual cap per se with Venter and Odendaal going well. At a pinch there is also Juan de Jongh though even as a Stormers supporter I wuldn't want to go there- he has cost us too many try opportunities.

Certainly most Cape fans don't want to hear of either Steyn. We are very provincial over here still. But I suspect the majority of fans in SA bar maybe Sharks fans out of a misplaced sense of lojalty (and possibly Bulls fans who seem to like that type of rugby LOL...) would be.. irked to see him in green again. Its his attitude, he has dropped the Bokke at the last moment and he hasn't to my mind been so special since 2009- not lean and hungry enough and too much of an ego (rugby is a 15 man team sport).

Haha, typical...

I think Frans Steyn should still be part of the Springbok setup. His talent is something that can't be coached. And it seems since he joined Jake White in France, that he's getting his form back and losing his attitude and bitterness.

Has he really? I havn't been following him at all. Is he more dangerous than either of De Allende or Kriel?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying 12 needs to be a speedster but at least he has to be faster than any of the tight 5? I'm pretty sure the likes of Etzebeth, Malherbe and all of our loosies would beat Frans in a footrace.

Must admit he is a handful (Steyn) never easy when its interview time but i think i understand now how he works, he is still a man in boys socks if you get my drift, whether he is still an asset for SA that i do not know but for us at Montpellier he is playing very well and i would rather have him with us than against.

Must admit he is a handful (Steyn) never easy when its interview time but i think i understand now how he works, he is still a man in boys socks if you get my drift, whether he is still an asset for SA that i do not know but for us at Montpellier he is playing very well and i would rather have him with us than against.

That comes as no surprise to anyone GLG!!

I think that his attitude and "mental age" is what is holding back what is a prodigious talent!!

Oh, well. I feel we are well covered in the centers as well between De Allende, Kriel, Mapoe and Serfontein all guys who have been involved with the Bokke even if Mapoe hasn't gotten an actual cap per se with Venter and Odendaal going well. At a pinch there is also Juan de Jongh though even as a Stormers supporter I wuldn't want to go there- he has cost us too many try opportunities.

Certainly most Cape fans don't want to hear of either Steyn. We are very provincial over here still. But I suspect the majority of fans in SA bar maybe Sharks fans out of a misplaced sense of lojalty (and possibly Bulls fans who seem to like that type of rugby LOL...) would be.. irked to see him in green again. Its his attitude, he has dropped the Bokke at the last moment and he hasn't to my mind been so special since 2009- not lean and hungry enough and too much of an ego (rugby is a 15 man team sport).

Has he really? I havn't been following him at all. Is he more dangerous than either of De Allende or Kriel?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying 12 needs to be a speedster but at least he has to be faster than any of the tight 5? I'm pretty sure the likes of Etzebeth, Malherbe and all of our loosies would beat Frans in a footrace.

Frans is versatile, he can at any stage slot in at Fly Half, Centre or Fullback. He has a vision that very few players have, and his passing skills are great. And to add to that, he can kick the ball very far. Then to add to that, his defence, he is one of those guys who consistently puts in the big hits.

I agree that he has to get leaner, but that will only happen if he gets his head right, and Jake White is the perfect man for the job, he got it right when Jake picked him on Debut for the Boks, and he can do it again. Also, people handle grief differently and I don't know how Frans is handling his brother's death, but all indications are there that he is not taking it very well, and that is certainly adding to his negative mindset.

Potential untapped is only potential. I would argue the only position where he can add value to the Bokke is at 12. We have more than enough flyhalves more capable and so too fullbacks that better fit into the way I assume we want to play even if those options are green for the most part. Frans' penchant for 'wanting to make his mark on defense' is also a penchant for giving away penalties and yellow cards.

Nah, at 28 I feel its better for us to concentrate on the guys who've been doing duty and are coming through and who will give us long term value and are more mature in any case despite the numbers in Frans' age and caps columns being higher.

On a side note, I see some muppet ANC politician is again politicizing the Springbok emblem and is calling for its removal and the media is again giving the man the time of day. Maybe we should change the ***le of this thread? LOL, can we please just get the elections over and done with so that the politicians can get back to plundering the country behind the scenes where we don't have to listen to their grandstading.

Last edited:
Potential untapped is only potential. I would argue the only position where he can add value to the Bokke is at 12. We have more than enough flyhalves more capable and so too fullbacks that better fit into the way I assume we want to play even if those options are green for the most part. Frans' penchant for 'wanting to make his mark on defense' is also a penchant for giving away penalties and yellow cards.

Nah, at 28 I feel its better for us to concentrate on the guys who've been doing duty and are coming through and who will give us long term value and are more mature in any case despite the numbers in Frans' age and caps columns being higher.

On a side note, I see some muppet ANC politician is again politicizing the Springbok emblem and is calling for its removal and the media is again giving the man the time of day. Maybe we should change the ***le of this thread? LOL, can we please just get the elections over and done with so that the politicians can get back to plundering the country behind the scenes where we don't have to listen to their grandstading.

Yeah. It was SARU's yearly grill day at parliament again yesterday, and as usual there was just talks of removal of the Springbok and the poor transformation process in rugby. Yet again our politicians are failing to see the big picture and ways on how to make the Springboks an unstoppable force, and rather focus on their own petty ideas.

But getting back to Frans, I agree with you that we shouldn't pick him now. He should prove to us that he is loyal to the cause and that he wants to play for the Boks again. But I stand by my statement that he's a valuable asset which could still bear fruit.

Well I can agree he is the most like-for-like back-up too De Allende should we need him but he needs to have his head on right and be in an 'athletic' condition.

I realize as a shark fan my opinion might not be the most credible one on this matter but i do have a few points.Frans can still add lots of value as is, without him reaching his peak just by his versatility in being able to cover so many positions. Add his Long kicking abilities, good defense, and a midfielder who can gain meters on the advantage line and he already offers something we can really use as is.He is 28 and has very much experience and is one of the few springboks that is still young and has a world cup winners medal.If he can reach his best again than in my opinion he offers more than Kriel and De Allende. If le Roux gets injured we have a guy who can play a better kicking game ( we will inevitably lose some impetus on attack without le Roux)In South Africa everyone keeps on moving on to the next best thing. Lambie emerged then Goosen and everyone was saying this is the future. Then Serfontein emerged and everyone was gushing with optimism because they believed Springbok rugby was destined to do well with this guy. Just a while later the media was already forgetting about them and praising the new talent that is Pollard. This lasted a few months and everyone was now talking about Kriel being the potential of the Springbok.All of us wonder how good a guy like Pollard or Kriel will be in their prime but there is always this young guy coming up and hogging the attention and we never seem to let them grow into their prime.There was a case where we let two awesome players grow old in the springbok jersey from a young age and that was Jean de Villiers and Jacques Fourie. So i dont think we should throw away our best players in their prime just because we are consistently looking for the next best thing .

I realize as a shark fan my opinion might not be the most credible one on this matter but i do have a few points.Frans can still add lots of value as is, without him reaching his peak just by his versatility in being able to cover so many positions. Add his Long kicking abilities, good defense, and a midfielder who can gain meters on the advantage line and he already offers something we can really use as is.He is 28 and has very much experience and is one of the few springboks that is still young and has a world cup winners medal.If he can reach his best again than in my opinion he offers more than Kriel and De Allende. If le Roux gets injured we have a guy who can play a better kicking game ( we will inevitably lose some impetus on attack without le Roux)In South Africa everyone keeps on moving on to the next best thing. Lambie emerged then Goosen and everyone was saying this is the future. Then Serfontein emerged and everyone was gushing with optimism because they believed Springbok rugby was destined to do well with this guy. Just a while later the media was already forgetting about them and praising the new talent that is Pollard. This lasted a few months and everyone was now talking about Kriel being the potential of the Springbok.All of us wonder how good a guy like Pollard or Kriel will be in their prime but there is always this young guy coming up and hogging the attention and we never seem to let them grow into their prime.There was a case where we let two awesome players grow old in the springbok jersey from a young age and that was Jean de Villiers and Jacques Fourie. So i dont think we should throw away our best players in their prime just because we are consistently looking for the next best thing .

+1

I couldn't have said this any better.

Yeah. It was SARU's yearly grill day at parliament again yesterday, and as usual there was just talks of removal of the Springbok and the poor transformation process in rugby. Yet again our politicians are failing to see the big picture and ways on how to make the Springboks an unstoppable force, and rather focus on their own petty ideas.

But getting back to Frans, I agree with you that we shouldn't pick him now. He should prove to us that he is loyal to the cause and that he wants to play for the Boks again. But I stand by my statement that he's a valuable asset which could still bear fruit.

The only thing that these dumb politicians focus on is demographics, they sound like a broken record. Merit means nothing, they think the workplace or sports team has to representative of the countries demographics which is the most ridiculous thing ever!

The only thing that these dumb politicians focus on is demographics, they sound like a broken record. Merit means nothing, they think the workplace or sports team has to representative of the countries demographics which is the most ridiculous thing ever!

What did you expect. They are hanging on the edge, and most of them will most probably lose their jobs after the upcoming elections. So now they do what they do best, keep on attacking the areas they think they could still get some people to vote in their favour.

Latest posts