• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok RWC squad

Isn't it possible that he actually couldn't come early if that extra couple months' salary would put Bath over the cap? They must be cutting it pretty close at the moment. Hence why the original announcement specified "after the RWC".
It is possible - depends on how the contract is worded.

With JJ having just removed himself from the cap, I doubt that we're cutting it too close right now.

Likely so. I'm hoping Ireland take it.

On a side note, our WC jersey is fine, but rubbish because the Protea has to be on the front instead of the Springbok. Honestly getting the jersey has no appeal given we are forced to throw it on our arm.
View attachment 17295
has to be photoshopped, kolisi is upright

Some big blows for the Boks with Pollard and De Jäger.

They are still a fierce, fierce side and they look very dangerous when you look at ball going through the hands.

Be really interested to see how they play at the World Cup- will we see a more expansive game perhaps and make use of that talent out wide?

Agree with the above that Le Roux becomes a very important player.

They will be tough to beat for any side but that group with Ireland and Scotland means two seriously tough games- cannot wait to watch!

5 Stormers, 7 Sharks, 6 Bulls and 15 overseas based Bokke. Not sure how I feel about that but it can't be helped. At least there is something of a trend in that as many of our top players are returning as are leaving or thereabouts which is a very welcome change.

Am is a very big loss indeed, I'm kind of gutted as he is one of my favourites. But the Boks looked extremely good last November without him (with Kriel looking decent). Plus wasn't Pollard unavailable last November when the Boks smashed England and Italy and barely lost away to the top two in the world?

Faf has shown he can kick penalties and to touch, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that for 60mins in big games.

I take it Gelant wasn't fit?

I think Damian Willemse will be the key player, purely because he is almost first choice 10 and almost first choice 15 (and can play 12 well). He will likely get a lot of game time in various positions, especially if there is any injuries/cards/poor performance that promotes him.

I agree the Bok squad is a little underwhelming. Too many guys who took early retirement in Japan in my opinion.

Only two hookers? Can one of the props play hooker?

Or are they banking on a halfback getting injured so they can bring in a third hooker lol

Only two hookers? Can one of the props play hooker?

Or are they banking on a halfback getting injured so they can bring in a third hooker lol
Deon Fourie is hooker number 3 backup. He used to play in that position and I'd seen stories that he had been continuing his lineout throwing practice in training. Just been a while since he has actually played the position, so you'd think they would slot him in there against Wales or New Zealand in the warm-ups.

Hi guys, I don't understand the interest of taking four scrum halves in the squad, and only 3 centres. I'm a french fan, so I don't follow what the Nienaber says about that very closely. Do you have any answer about that ?

Bok 33

Steven Kitshoff
Frans Malherbe
Trevor Nyakane
Ox Nche
Vincent Koch

Bongi Mbonambi
Malcolm Marx

Eben Etzebeth - limping up...
RG Snyman
Jean Kleyn - Ja, sure. He won't let you down but he isn't really the line-out option I was hoping for though if we wanted someone like Nortje specifically for the line-out we should have picked them from the off for the RC.
Franco Mostert - I hope he is considered more as lock back-up which is where I will list him
Marvin Orie

Duane Vermeulen
Pieter-Steph du Toit
Siya Kolisi - walking wounded...
Kwagga Smith
Jasper Wiese
Marco van Staden - Had impact the chances he got TBF. Also nice to have an out-and-out fetcher
Deon Fourie - 3rd choice hooker? Otherwise it just looks light carrying 7 loosies (8! if you count Mostert in the backrow) but only 2 hookers and 5 props.

Faf de Klerk
Jaden Hendrikse - Is he fit? Seems like we are carrying a lot of injury baggage even with the big names who are confirmed unavailable.
Grant Williams - Another walking wounded?
Cobus Reinch - weird one calling in 4 scrummies.. And you won't say Reinach or Williams could play on the wing because we are taking so many wingers as well. And Kolbe could cover at 9 so very weird/

Damian Willemse
Manie Libbok - who will play 10 with Pollard out?
Damian de Allende
Andre Esterhuizen - Happy for him. Especially with Am out he might be called on.
Jesse Kriel - No Pollard, Kriel at 13 with Am out... I suppose we've had worse RWC squads but damn'it and no real goal kicker in the entire squad...

Cheslin Kolbe
Makazole Mapimpi
Canan Moodie - perhaps also cover for 13 and 15? Had a stellar game last hit out
Kurt-Lee Arendse

Willie le Roux - has become our most important player IMO with Pollard out.
I think the key thing about the players are a tendency to go with players that provides versatility. The scrummies and wings, maybe can double down on 6-2

Am is a very big loss indeed, I'm kind of gutted as he is one of my favourites. But the Boks looked extremely good last November without him (with Kriel looking decent). Plus wasn't Pollard unavailable last November when the Boks smashed England and Italy and barely lost away to the top two in the world?

Faf has shown he can kick penalties and to touch, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that for 60mins in big games.

I take it Gelant wasn't fit?

I think Damian Willemse will be the key player, purely because he is almost first choice 10 and almost first choice 15 (and can play 12 well). He will likely get a lot of game time in various positions, especially if there is any injuries/cards/poor performance that promotes him.

I agree the Bok squad is a little underwhelming. Too many guys who took early retirement in Japan in my opinion.
Our coaches have not had any interest in Gelant for a while now. Which is just one of many things I question as I believe him to be our 2nd best 15. Maybe with him back at the Stormers next year he will be back on the radar. I think we can write off this RWC.
Hi guys, I don't understand the interest of taking four scrum halves in the squad, and only 3 centres. I'm a french fan, so I don't follow what the Nienaber says about that very closely. Do you have any answer about that ?
Hi there. I believe that Willemse is actually at his best at 12. Apart from Willemse covering center as a utility back a lot of people are wanting to see Canan Moodie get a look in at 13. But, a RWC is no place to experiment and with only Libbok an out and out 10, Willemse is less free to cover other positions so we are as confused as non-South Africans.

I think that when some key players like AM, Pollard was ruled out, we could pick some extra players that where just overall good rugby players, their precence providing something. Most players are expected to play in multiple roles when in the backline. This is why Francois Steyn was so valuable. I even think they will test Damian de Allende out at 13, with Esterhuizen at 12.

Two of our scrumhalves can cover wing, in Reinach and Williams. Reinach is fast but Williams is exceptionally fast and I think he may be a suprise weapon for South Africa at this world cup in whatever role that may be. He has smoked everyone I have seen that tried to catch him.

The other two Scrumhalves can cover 10 too. And they are both decent kickers.

But I'm not sure if they are 90% kickers and that's what makes the Pollard loss so scary. I think its fair to say SA is holding its breath over Pollard being injured. I really don't want to be eliminated from the world cup due to bad goalkicking.

We are all a bit confused by it, but essentially the views are, in terms of coverage:
Faf: Scrumhalf, flyhalf
Reinach: Scrumhalf
Williams: Scrumhalf, wing (not that this is a position where we have a shortage
Hendrikse: Scrumhalf

So basically a view of having a versatile squad... but realistically the coaches couldn't decide who to cut here so they decided to go with a versatility argument. I don't think we have a very clear view of who our first and second choice scrumhalf is.

On flyhalf, sounds a lot like Pollard is going to be fit enough to potentially play a warm up game, but they weren't sure about his match readyness and have excluded him. My take is, as soon as any of our players get injured and have to return, Pollard will be into replace them. Even if it is one of our props or hookers.

We are all a bit confused by it, but essentially the views are, in terms of coverage:
Faf: Scrumhalf, flyhalf
Reinach: Scrumhalf
Williams: Scrumhalf, wing (not that this is a position where we have a shortage
Hendrikse: Scrumhalf

So basically a view of having a versatile squad... but realistically the coaches couldn't decide who to cut here so they decided to go with a versatility argument. I don't think we have a very clear view of who our first and second choice scrumhalf is.

On flyhalf, sounds a lot like Pollard is going to be fit enough to potentially play a warm up game, but they weren't sure about his match readyness and have excluded him. My take is, as soon as any of our players get injured and have to return, Pollard will be into replace them. Even if it is one of our props or hookers.
Same with Am.

Regarding the four nines, the obvious reason is that one of their top choices is injured but they want to carry him anyway. Maybe they are keen on Williams but he was cincussed bad and so they don't know when he'll be back, as you can never know with concussions.

Anyone know what loods situation is? Hope he's alright

Anyone know what loods situation is? Hope he's alright

Something chest related... but Nienaber was very cryptic about it which is a bit worrying:

Nienaber did not want to elaborate on the state of the chest injury that De Jager is struggling with.

"I think people will understand, and it is not my place to elaborate on that. I know what it is, but it is not for me to say."