• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok RWC squad

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
So I think the Springbok Rugby Championship training squad should give a good idea of what a Bok RWC squad could look like. Obviously, at 41, there needs a lot of trimming to get to the 33 man mark.

Props: Thomas du Toit (Sharks), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers), Vincent Koch (Stade Francais), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Ox Nche (Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Racing 92)
Hookers: Joseph Dweba (Stormers), Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears), Bongi Mbonambi (Sharks)
Locks: Lood de Jager (Wild Knights), Eben Etzebeth (Sharks), Marvin Orie (Stormers), RG Snyman (Munster), Jean kleyn (Munster)
Loose Forwards: Pieter-Steph du Toit (Verblitz), Siya Kolisi (Sharks), Evan Roos (Stormers), Kwagga Smith (Shizuoka Blue Revs), Marco van Staden (Bulls), Duane Vermeulen (N/A), Jasper Wiese (Leicester)
Utility Forwards: Jean-Luc du Preez (Sale Sharks), Deon Fourie (Stormers), Franco Mostert (Honda Heat)
Scrumhalves: Faf de Klerk (Canon Eagles), Jaden Hendrikse (Sharks), Herschel Jantjies (Stormers), Cobus Reinach (Montpellier), Grant Williams (Sharks)
Flyhalves: Manie Libbok (Stormers), Handre Pollard (Leicester), Damian Willemse (Stormers)
Centres: Lukhanyo Am (Sharks), Damian de Allende (Wild Knights), Andre Esterhuizen (Harlequins), Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles)
Outside Backs: Kurt-Lee Arendse (Bulls), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulon), Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz), Makazole Mapimpi (Sharks), Canan Moodie (Bulls)

Jean-Luc du Preez (Sale Sharks)
Yeah bbboooooiiiiiiiii

Think it's a mistake not to bring Rob du Preez into at least the training squad, though - he's had a massive season and 10 isn't particularly a position of strength for the Boks behind Pollard

With Tonga and Scotland no easy beats its not a done deal that Ireland and us will get out of the pan and into the fire. But we have enough versatility for Nienaber and co to manage rotations IMO.

Who will miss out from that 41? My picks for players missing out:

Just looking at the numbers, probably 2 scrum halves I'd imagine getting the chop. De Klerk probably in. Then I'd imagine it would be between Hendrickse and Jantjies as back up. Reinach also has experience but for the type of player we want if De Klerk gets injured I'd imagine Reinach and Williams gets dropped.

So 6 more players to drop. Maybe 1 of Du Toit or Nyakane IE we only take 1 3rd choice prop and both of them can cover either side.

Other 5 are probably Kleyn, Orie (we really do not need 6 locks), JLdP, Van Staaden and Roos. 4 world class locks with PSdT who can fill in at a pinch is fine. I don't understand either Kleyn or Orie. I do see Kleyn as South African and it's not as if he has had any sort of meaningful involvement with the Irish test side but still, what sort of message is that sending our locks playing in SA? But then I don't understand the continued inclusion of Orie either and I say that as a die hard Stormers supporter. So what do I know. I also see 3 loosies losing out unless Kolisi doesn't get fit. Wiese, Vermeulen with Kwagga as well. How many 8's do you need? With the versatility of many of these players same goes for the flanks. I'm not a huge fan of Van Staaden and if Roos had form this year close to 2022 maybe especially in light of Vermeulen's poor club form BUT right now, if there was a RWC final I'd put Vermeulen in ahead of Roos. Roos is one for the future and will be battling it out with Wiese for supremacy soon enough but not now I believe as Nienaber is quite conservative.

Yeah bbboooooiiiiiiiii

Think it's a mistake not to bring Rob du Preez into at least the training squad, though - he's had a massive season and 10 isn't particularly a position of strength for the Boks behind Pollard

I wouldn't have minded all three Du Preez brothers TBH. But having left SA so early in their careers.. I am all for backing locally based players where the differences are near enough to marginal.

Lol wut

Urgh not a fan of this move. Feels like the coaches aren't interested in any additional experimentation this year and are only going to play players that have been involved in the last 2 years, regardless of form (well… except Jean Kleyn). He hasn't played/scored much in his time at Agen. Not a great message to RDP who has been doing great at Sale, nor a good message to all the other SA franchise flyhalves that none of you are even remotely in the picture if we would rather bring back in Jantjies.

I wanted to revisit this. My thoughts after the Rugby Championship and last game.

So I think the Springbok Rugby Championship training squad should give a good idea of what a Bok RWC squad could look like. Obviously, at 41, there needs a lot of trimming to get to the 33 man mark.

Props: Thomas du Toit (Sharks), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers), Vincent Koch (Stade Francais), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Ox Nche (Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Racing 92)
Hookers: Joseph Dweba (Stormers), Malcolm Marx (Kubota Spears), Bongi Mbonambi (Sharks)
Locks: Lood de Jager (Wild Knights), Eben Etzebeth (Sharks), Marvin Orie (Stormers), RG Snyman (Munster), Jean kleyn (Munster)
Loose Forwards: Pieter-Steph du Toit (Verblitz), Siya Kolisi (Sharks), Evan Roos (Stormers), Kwagga Smith (Shizuoka Blue Revs), Marco van Staden (Bulls), Duane Vermeulen (N/A), Jasper Wiese (Leicester)
Utility Forwards: Jean-Luc du Preez (Sale Sharks), Deon Fourie (Stormers), Franco Mostert (Honda Heat)
Scrumhalves: Faf de Klerk (Canon Eagles), Jaden Hendrikse (Sharks), Herschel Jantjies (Stormers), Cobus Reinach (Montpellier), Grant Williams (Sharks)
Flyhalves: Manie Libbok (Stormers), Handre Pollard (Leicester), Damian Willemse (Stormers)
Centres: Lukhanyo Am (Sharks), Damian de Allende (Wild Knights), Andre Esterhuizen (Harlequins), Jesse Kriel (Canon Eagles)
Outside Backs: Kurt-Lee Arendse (Bulls), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulon), Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz), Makazole Mapimpi (Sharks), Canan Moodie (Bulls)

Props (6)
I still like the 6 props. No injuries or alterations here. Steenekamp did well but I'd keep it my original 6 if Ox manages to pass fit.

Hooker (3)
Dweba it will be in behind Marx and Mbonambi. The other two pick themselves. Deon Fourie is an option but he hasn't played at hooker in ages. I think if we seriously wanted him as an option there he should've had a shot there.

Locks (4)
For the sake of balance it'd have to be Kleyn dropping out I'd say. Need an out-and-out line-out lock in behind De Jager especially given De Jager's troubles with injuries. Though you could call in PSdT at a pinch. Hence my dropping Mostert whom I see as not impactful enough to warrant playing in the loose forwards.

Loose forward (6)
For me, PSdT, JLdP, Vermeulen, Kolisi, Smith and Fourie. Though Wiese will get in ahead of JLdP I feel JLdP is a more rounded player and we'll see Vermeulen as 1st choice 8 this RWC still.

It's a pity about Mapimpi but we have such talent and it was a tough call. Libbok - I'm not so sure that he was the best choice,

Looking dire on the injury front if early reports are to be believed. I think we will do well just to reach the QF at this stage if you look at it honestly. No Am, no Pollard, no Hendrickse, no Williams, no De Jager and Kolisi only a morale pick.

Hendrickse in the squad, as is Williams. De Jager, Am and Pollard confirmed out...

Well that was kind of interesting. Obviously massive losses with Am, De Jager and Pollard out. Massive pressure for Libbok now. I'm happy for Kleyn for making the squad, he did well in his two games over the last couple of weeks. Great for Deon Fourie also and nice that we have made the space for all the strong wings. I guess Am not making it has caused the space for Esterhuizen.

Bok 33

Steven Kitshoff
Frans Malherbe
Trevor Nyakane
Ox Nche
Vincent Koch

Bongi Mbonambi
Malcolm Marx

Eben Etzebeth - limping up...
RG Snyman
Jean Kleyn - Ja, sure. He won't let you down but he isn't really the line-out option I was hoping for though if we wanted someone like Nortje specifically for the line-out we should have picked them from the off for the RC.
Franco Mostert - I hope he is considered more as lock back-up which is where I will list him
Marvin Orie

Duane Vermeulen
Pieter-Steph du Toit
Siya Kolisi - walking wounded...
Kwagga Smith
Jasper Wiese
Marco van Staden - Had impact the chances he got TBF. Also nice to have an out-and-out fetcher
Deon Fourie - 3rd choice hooker? Otherwise it just looks light carrying 7 loosies (8! if you count Mostert in the backrow) but only 2 hookers and 5 props.

Faf de Klerk
Jaden Hendrikse - Is he fit? Seems like we are carrying a lot of injury baggage even with the big names who are confirmed unavailable.
Grant Williams - Another walking wounded?
Cobus Reinch - weird one calling in 4 scrummies.. And you won't say Reinach or Williams could play on the wing because we are taking so many wingers as well. And Kolbe could cover at 9 so very weird/

Damian Willemse
Manie Libbok - who will play 10 with Pollard out?
Damian de Allende
Andre Esterhuizen - Happy for him. Especially with Am out he might be called on.
Jesse Kriel - No Pollard, Kriel at 13 with Am out... I suppose we've had worse RWC squads but damn'it and no real goal kicker in the entire squad...

Cheslin Kolbe
Makazole Mapimpi
Canan Moodie - perhaps also cover for 13 and 15? Had a stellar game last hit out
Kurt-Lee Arendse

Willie le Roux - has become our most important player IMO with Pollard out.

Taking a grand total of 7 front rowers for the sake of fitting in 4 scrum halves is bat **** insane

Four scrumhalves and one flyhalf does seem a bit....weird

Shame Jean-Luc didn't make the cut, but as I've said before: depth is pretty nuts for the Bok back-5. Wonder if he's next name on the list of Kolisi doesn't recover in time?
Rob not even making a training squad does look a little dafter now that Pollard is ruled out (and Am, seeing as he can play 13 too)

Really happy to see Esterhuizen there, one of my favourite players to watch

No Thomas Du Toit.
I wonder if that means he'll come to Bath early, or still be "after the RWC"
TBH, it would make sense to come over early, if it's to train but not play club level - being local to France, training at Farleigh, and potentially, to be playing competitively would be a bonus IF RSA pick up any propping injuries.

Of course, from an entirely selfish rational, would also mean Bath would be his services whilst Stuart is away.

I saw this RWC as a 5 horse race. Think it's down to 3 and a half. I can't see us making a final now given our draw and not having a goal kicker and I had England as a dark horse on the other side of the draw in most part due to the nature of the draw but they've looked poorer than what I'd have expected at this stage. Hoping it's France or Ireland TBH. Would be good to see a new champion.

So Boks winning RWC every 12 years to continue?
Likely so. I'm hoping Ireland take it.

On a side note, our WC jersey is fine, but rubbish because the Protea has to be on the front instead of the Springbok. Honestly getting the jersey has no appeal given we are forced to throw it on our arm.
1691507378545.png

No Thomas Du Toit.
I wonder if that means he'll come to Bath early, or still be "after the RWC"
TBH, it would make sense to come over early, if it's to train but not play club level - being local to France, training at Farleigh, and potentially, to be playing competitively would be a bonus IF RSA pick up any propping injuries.

Of course, from an entirely selfish rational, would also mean Bath would be his services whilst Stuart is away.
Isn't it possible that he actually couldn't come early if that extra couple months' salary would put Bath over the cap? They must be cutting it pretty close at the moment. Hence why the original announcement specified "after the RWC".

Latest posts