• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia - RWC Squad

What do Australian fans think of Eddie Jones' plans to play Josh Kemeny on the wing? As an England fan I say good riddance to Mr Jones.

What do Australian fans think of Eddie Jones' plans to play Josh Kemeny on the wing? As an England fan I say good riddance to Mr Jones.
He's just blowing smoke at the media to get them talking about random **** instead of focusing on what he's actually doing. Same thing he did with talking about Nowell @ 7, Curry @ 9, Earl @ 13, etc. Did any of those players actually get any game time in those positions (outside of when Nowell filled in on the flank during a yellow card period, which is pretty common)? Nope. Will Kemeny ever actually play on the wing for Oz? Nope.

its the same deal as him talking about having 3-4 leagues guys about to sign...he was never going to play such new signings...but people start trying to work out who they are

Relates to upcoming 2 matches v ABs but probably doesn't do their RWC squad chances any good.
Pretty sure Eddie was talking up Wright as a potential world class player earlier this year, and now he's being dropped after starting in two tests.

Pretty sure Eddie was talking up Wright as a potential world class player earlier this year, and now he's being dropped after starting in two tests.
He's done that to a few England players as well. That's EJ for you.

Still seems relevant

Times this morning. Jones:

Saying that he'd never have taken the Lions job even if asked.

After writing in his book "I have wanted for a long time to coach the Lions….I had my sights set on the 2021 tour of South Africa".

Having previously said that it was just an ambassador job and he was a coach who'd rather work with the Queensland Sheffield Shield cricket team.

You're very welcome, Australia.

Given the choice of Borthwick or Jones, 90% of teams would choose Jones

I found it interesting looking at how he's disliked in England vs his stats with England

One of your more successful coaches of recent times

Also one of our worst coaches of recent times,
If you split his time into two world cup cycles it's very easy to see why he was let go

Also one of our worst coaches of recent times,
If you split his time into two world cup cycles it's very easy to see why he was let go
Not particularly true though (as we're explicitly looking at stat.s).
Coaches.jpg

If you split his record into 2 RWC cycles (and do with same for SCW) he's our 3rd and 9th most sucessful coach, out of 19 (SCW 2nd and 8th)
If you just look at the last 25 years, he's 2nd and 5th, out of 9 (or 10 if you bother to include Rob Andrews).
Hell, even if "recent" just means the last 5 coaches (who aren't Borthwick), then he's sitting in 1st and 3rd out of 5.
I find it hard to call anyone who's dead centre in any table "one of the worst" especially when they're simultaneously one of the best.

The only way to get him to the bottom of any table is to be extremely selective; and count "recent" as being the last 3 RWC cycles, in which case he's both 1st and 3rd.

Last edited:
Didn't he give us our two worst six nations results and our worst attacking and worst defensive performances?
I remember consensus being that the aus tour was doing a lot of heavy lifting post 2019

I dunno, I still think it was the right thing to do because we looked terrible for years under him

His worst year for England, for win ratio or for PD, was 2021 - with all the covid disruptions and discrepencies.
win ratio of 40%, PD of -1.8

Within the last 26 years (taking the worst calendar year for each coach/cycle)...
SCW(1) managed 0% and -8.8 in 1997
SCW(2) managed 38% and -3.6 in 2004
AR managed 27% and -7.2 in 2006
BA managed 53% and -1.2 in 2007 (including a RWC final)
MJ managed 25% and +5.9 in 2008 (or if you combine MJ's reign with MJ's telling RA what to do - 17% and -2.5)
SL hit 50% and +5.4 in 2012 and again in 2013 (well, PD of +5.5 that year)
EJ(1) managed 46% and +2.5 in 2018.

None of them fought Covid (though SCW did have BSE)

I could break it down by 6N; but I don't have that one to hand, and... I can't be arsed.
I don't like defending Eddie at the best of times; and today... it looks like I might die on the rugby pitch this afternoon (hail and lightning forescast for this afternoon, and my fat-old-blokes walking rugby team are entering the club touch tournie against the 1stXV, 2ndXV, LadiesXV and Colts XV - I'm the youngest at 47, and I think 3 of us have all our own hips and knees)

Last edited:
There's talk Michael Hooper will be left out of the World Cup squad.

Mental considering he never really has a bad game for Australia, but does have a ****ling injury apparently

Latest posts