• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks Squad - EOYT 2021

Hard to argue that Roos is continually ignored this is his first real season
You are right it's very hard to argue for Roos under the "continually ignored".

Roos is indeed in his breakthrough season.

The rest remains valid for Roos though, which is ultimately the point. Call them up to the squad to be evaluated against their peers. The club form is standout so why not allow them to be measured on the training ground, then they can be discarded if the coach pleases.

Out of that list, only Roos has a shot to be included before RWC2023. And Roos and Louw need all the URC experience they can get. They can be called into the Bok camp during summer 2022 and still feature during the RWC.

I don't see Thor being included in the RWC2023 squad unless it's as a veteran presence. He will be 37 by that time and I think his move to Ulster was a passing of the torch to Louw ascending to the #8 jersey.

If Thor is not a factor, then you have 8 jersey and two more loose forwards up for grabs. Weise, Kwagga, Van Staden all have gotten cracks. But honestly, I could see all three not making the RWC2023 side for different reasons. If I was a betting man, Kwagga would be my top choice of those three because of his versatility and fetching ability. A big knock on all three is their height and inability to be a lineout option. That's why Louw at 6'5" and Roos at 6'4" must be appealing to the Bok coaching staff.

If we go with 5 loose forwards and everyone is fit, I expect it to be:

6 - Siya
7 - PSDT
8 - Louw/Roos
21 - Kwagga
Sorry, which Louw is this? I know of no player with a Louw surname that is in contention for the Boks?

Elrigh Louw from the Bulls.
Oh that one ! He is a lock as far as I'm aware. And even if he wanted to audition full time as a loose forward option for the Boks then I don't think he is at the level of his competition which is the most competitive part of the squad, has been for years.

Oh that one ! He is a lock as far as I'm aware. And even if he wanted to audition full time as a loose forward option for the Boks then I don't think he is at the level of his competition which is the most competitive part of the squad, has been for years.
From everything I've read, Jake White has basically proclaimed him as the successor to Duane not only for the Bulls but for the Springboks. He's been starting at #8 for the Bulls during the URC.

His had a great run at #8 recently. My preference for Roos is largely provincial bias.

It's like Gelant v Fassi. I wouldn't mind either but I want one of them. Though that's not the exact same situation as Gelant isn't a rookie.

Louw is good but I think Roos is beter that guy screams future legend. Don't know how Jasper is picked over him he has a bit more experince but Roos have loads more talent

Louw is good but I think Roos is beter that guy screams future legend. Don't know how Jasper is picked over him he has a bit more experince but Roos have loads more talent
The stats back your claim. At least the stats I got from rugbypass. Would've been nice to be able to compare these two with Wiese but they play in such different comps..

Anyways, Roos / Louw:
Height: 192cm / 195cm
Weight: 109kg / 112kg
Games played 10 / 9

m/carry: 4,1m / 2,1m
tackle %: 87% / 93%
tries: 8 / 3
try assists: 9 / 3
passes: 37 / 14
clean breaks: 9 / 2
defenders beaten: 19 / 12
turnovers won: 7 / 4
turnovers lost: 11 / 16
penalties conceded: 8 (1 YC) / 5

So Roos has all round better stats and looks to be the slightly more involved player which can go some way to mitigate the slightly worse penalty count. 5% better tackling percentages is not negligible in favor of Louw and one wonders whether the extra weight and height might come in handy in the line out and test rugby where games tend to be more attritional and less free flowing.

Oh, well the Stormers can do with both Roos and Gelant in the URC.

Last edited:
AAPUtTQ.img

Interesting breakdown. Didn't realize so many of our test players were in Japan. Those 2 in Ireland are both at Munster. Never thought Munster would have more Springbokke than the Bulls. Also surprised the Stormers are at 6 Bokke what with all of our test players leaving. Not that I see Orie or Moerat as fixtures.

Van staden having a good start at Tigers so far.
44 tackles in 2 games
5 turnovers (Up against Lood, Tom Curry and Jean Luc Du Preez)

Latest posts