• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springboks vs Wallabies, 28 Aug 2010, Loftus Versfeld

its a battle of the two worst coaches in the world at the moment, who will come out on top?

Of course Kanko should play as an 8 man and in my opinion he's the best option. I would rather see him play for the Sharks against the Griquas.

HAHAHAHAHA! ... Really? ... Which one's the worst I wonder, and why?
Deans aint too bad considering his record with the Crusaders and the state of the Wallabies before he agreed to coach them. PDV had a fantastic year last year with no real complaints about the referee's but he took over the world champs so there really wasnt much fixing to do. It's like if PDV and Deans were told to build a house, PDV was given an experienced master builder and Deans with the apprentice.

the boks are really a wounded beast now and Im gonna say they will surprise the Wallabies a hell of a lot with a 10point upset..
1.Guthro Steenkamp
2.John Smit
3.Jannie du Plessis
4.Danie Rousouw
5.Victor Matfield
6.Shalk Burger
7.Ryan Kankowski/Francois Louw
8.Pierre Spies
9.Francois Hougaard
10.Morné Steyn
11.Gio Aplon
12.Jean de Villiers
13.Juan de Jongh
14.Bryan Habana
15.Frans Steyn

. It's like if PDV and Deans were told to build a house, PDV was given an experienced master builder and Deans with the apprentice.

I like your analogy Sam ... yes, I agree, PDV has more quality players to choose from, and inherited the World champion team - i'm not sure that either coach can be entirely blamed for the results of their teams

... In Dean's case his brief is to have the Wallabies ready for the World Cup, not to win the Tri-nations or the Bledisloe cup

its a battle of the two worst coaches in the world at the moment, who will come out on top?

Funny that just last year Graham Henry was regarded as the worst coach. What the NZ call them again ? I forget the name but I will do some research this evening.

Deans aint too bad considering his record with the Crusaders and the state of the Wallabies before he agreed to coach them. PDV had a fantastic year last year with no real complaints about the referee's but he took over the world champs so there really wasnt much fixing to do. It's like if PDV and Deans were told to build a house, PDV was given an experienced master builder and Deans with the apprentice.

PDV inherited a Ferrari and in two years, turned into a lemon
Dingo inherited a lemon in the first place.

bull **** deans was told to have the wallabies playing winning entertaining rugby like the abs, he was requested to have an 80% winning record,there was no mention of the world cup when he took over, i reckon they have gone backwards since he took over

PDV inherited a Ferrari and in two years, turned into a lemon
Dingo inherited a lemon in the first place.

Not true , many of the SA players that won the WC wanted to retire , he went and fetched Matfield and Smit for instance. He also introduced players like Beast , Steyn and Broussow to name a few that Jake would not have (Jake is on record saying that). PDV also wanted to play the game different , his biggest mistake was to give in to everyone and play the structured game Jake Introduced , we should have tried his way and play the situation.

He won the JR WC his way , also he was an assistant coach waaay back with Mallet which means he has the experience and knowledge.

yeah too true he wanted the boks to play running rugby,they scored some good tries in 08 as well

bull **** deans was told to have the wallabies playing winning entertaining rugby like the abs, he was requested to have an 80% winning record,there was no mention of the world cup when he took over, i reckon they have gone backwards since he took over

Really.. see i reckon you don't know what you're talking about. Its interesting how opinions differ.
Deans took over a poor performing side, not only that but the coach preceding him hadn't really looked to the future at all. He really had nothing to work with, before he had even signed on George Gregan, Chris Latham, David Lyons and Stephen Larkham had all left. That decimated the already average side, Robbie Deans had to rebuild and look at the depth Australia has now, its much better than when he got the job. Deans has put Australia in a position where it is not only set up to be competitive for next years world cup, but also the next 10 or so years after that. the next coach will actually have a worldclass core of players to work with.

Just look at the players Deans has bought in and developed in his 2 and a half years as coach:
-The Genia-Cooper partnership (both 22 years old)
-David Pocock (22)
-James O'Connor (20)
-Richard Kingi (21)
-Rob Horne (21)
-Rob Simmons (21)
-The Faiinga twins (23)
-Matt Toomua (20)
-Ben Daley (22)
-James Slipper (21)
-Scott Higginbotham (23)
-Ben McCalman (22)
-Luke Morahan (20)
-Nick Cummins (22)
-Pat McCabe (22)
-Kurtley Beale (21)
-Lachie Turner (23)
-Sekope Kepu (23)
-Ben Alexander (25)

Thats almost a whole match day 22, and there are still about 5-7 more young project players Deans will take on board in November. The current Wallaby squad, despite suffering a whole lot of injuries, has been very competitive this year, and has continued to improve every year under Deans. If they are able to hold on to their 3rd in the world spot during this rebuilding phase, imagine the hidings its going to hand out when all those players (Especially Cooper-Genia-JOC-Horne-Pocock) hit their peak. Deans has done wonderful things for Australian rugby.

Really.. see i reckon you don't know what you're talking about. Its interesting how opinions differ.
Deans took over a poor performing side, not only that but the coach preceding him hadn't really looked to the future at all. He really had nothing to work with, before he had even signed on George Gregan, Chris Latham, David Lyons and Stephen Larkham had all left. That decimated the already average side, Robbie Deans had to rebuild and look at the depth Australia has now, its much better than when he got the job. Deans has put Australia in a position where it is not only set up to be competitive for next years world cup, but also the next 10 or so years after that. the next coach will actually have a worldclass core of players to work with.

Just look at the players Deans has bought in and developed in his 2 and a half years as coach

Absolutely. I agree with you 100%. Deans has to be one of the best coaches in the world. The Wallabies will be a force to reckoned with this WC and for the next four years or so if he remains as coach. Also remember that no-one coaches in a vacuum and Australia has other awesome coaches such as Ewan McKenzie who had an amazing influence on that team last year. Australia has a lot of good coaches and if they had access to the depth of talent that SA has Australia would be world beaters and would challenge the ABs for top spot. Let's not forget who was Jake White's right hand man during the 2007 WC.

As for the game on Saturday I think this is the best chance Oz has of getting a win over the old, broken, unfit, bizarrely selected boks. PDV should start building for the future now and either go with what he believes or just resign as coach and hand the coaches cap to John Smit and Matfield. ;)

"yeah too true he wanted the boks to play running rugby,they scored some good tries in 08 as well"

Just a pity they absolutely sucked eh?

Almost losing to Wales twice, 19-0 defeat to the AB's in NEWLANDS, Almost losing to Scotland, Getting destroyed by a struggling Aussie side at home.

Yeah... What a great coach.

Bok Team for Saturday:

15. Frans Steyn
14. JP Pietersen
13. Jaque Fourie
12. Jean de Villiers
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morne Steyn

9. Francois Hougaard

8. Pierre Spies
7. Juan Smith
6. Schalk Burger
5. Victor Matfield
4. Flip van der Merwe
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. John Smit
1. Gurthro Steenkamp

Substitutes:

16. Chiliboy Ralepelle
17. CJ van der Linde
18. Danie Rossouw
19. Ryan Kankowski
20. Ricky Januarie
21. Butch James
22. Juan de Jongh

Aplon doesn't deserve to be dropped, and Kanko should start ahead of Spies... Now we don't even have a fetcher on the bench with Louw gone. Sigh...

ha ranger you make me laugh
firstly mckensie developed the genia-cooper partnership,yes he can take credit for o'connor but from what ive seen thats nothing to be proud of in fact having o'connor at fullback instead of AAC was a massive blunder on his part, higgenbotham hasnt played yet, pocock was always gonna be a wallaby no matter who the coach[in fact he should have been made one sooner],kurtly beale was tried at fullback by chris hickey not deans,matt tomua are you fuckn kidding?
and regardless every coach would select most of those players but its the improvements they make once their with the team that matters and to be honest most players are going backwards like lachie turner,genia,elsom,moore

and regardless you told a fib when you said he was appointed for building a team for the world cup, he was appointed to get the wallabies winning full stop, thats why o'neill targeted an 80% winning record

Bok Team for Saturday:

15. Frans Steyn
14. JP Pietersen
13. Jaque Fourie
12. Jean de Villiers
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morne Steyn

9. Francois Hougaard

8. Pierre Spies
7. Juan Smith
6. Schalk Burger
5. Victor Matfield
4. Flip van der Merwe
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. John Smit
1. Gurthro Steenkamp

Substitutes:

16. Chiliboy Ralepelle
17. CJ van der Linde
18. Danie Rossouw
19. Ryan Kankowski
20. Ricky Januarie
21. Butch James
22. Juan de Jongh

Aplon doesn't deserve to be dropped, and Kanko should start ahead of Spies... Now we don't even have a fetcher on the bench with Louw gone. Sigh...

Disappointing to see Aplon go, thought he played really well last test.

Still think the squad is good enough to beat a good Australian side within 5 or so points.

I'd rather have Aplon than Habana atm (though Habana did play well on Saturday, but that's the first time ive seen it in a Bok shirt for a long time)

I think SA will win by a 5-10 points

should have made a statement and dropped smit,might be too much trouble for dressing room atmosphere for that though

Latest posts