Start playing at 38

Old starter

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
I am after advice from current players,

I have never really played rugby but want to start the only problem is that I am now 38.

I am physically fit having served in the army for 20 years although as I said I am now 38.

My question is basically am I too old to start playing and if I do start will I be restricted to the over 35s game?

Definitely not too old my friend. Fitness is the main problem which comes with age, and as you say, you're more than fit enough to play the game.

You won't be restricted to an over 35's game. Depending on the size of the team you're joining, since you're just starting up you'll probably be placed in the 'B' team which may or may not be part of an official Regional league but more local. This will help you get to grips with the game without as much pressure.

You'll find that there will be some chaps there who are well into their 40's and even 50's. At our club, we have a guy who's around 50-55 and he's a machine in the scrum as well as loose play.

Good luck with it, you'll be grand!

Thanks Jbobo I'm more than happy with B teams and as I haven't really played other than internal Regimental competitions I wouldn't expect anything else. The main reason i asked about the over 35 game is I believe the scrums are uncontested and as I see myself as a forward wasn't keen on this. Do the guys you mentioned in their 40s and 50s play in the 1st or 2nd 15s?

I think that if you feel that your body can handle the rigors of playing with the younger lads, then you should have no problem playing in contested scrums. I don't see why you would be forced to play in an 0ver 35's team regardless.

To be honest, the older players are more part time in that they have semi'retired. But we have a few veterans who run our for the B team every so often and around 4 regular starters. Our A team scrum half is in his mid 40's. I've played against some teams in A teams which have had quite a few older guys. Usually they are forwards and have little trouble with the physicality.

Which position in the pack are you thinking? If you're a prop, i could see it being no problem at all. If you're fit enough, you're fine.

You say you've played in internal regimental competitions, how did that go? The laws at the breakdown are probably the most difficult for a forward starting up.

Last edited:
When I played before it was about 90-95% novices so we played a very cut down simplified version of the rules in these games I played 2nd row but that was mainly due to the other players at the time, I doubt I would play 2nd row in proper club.

I would anticipate prop or possibly flanker

Have seen many players older than you playing competitive B or even C Team rugby. Get yourself down to a local club and do a bit of training. Thus should help you work out what position (s) would be best for you. Use the experience of others to help and guide your decision and, whatever you do, enjoy playing.

I have just started playing Wheelchair Rugby and I'm going to be 50!

It's in the mind as well. If you can bear the punishment you will receive then what the ****, go for it ;) Life is too short