• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting Rugby after 5 years away

cameron9

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Leicester
Hello all, i'm new to this forum so just looking for some general advice and tips!

To put it short, I'm 21 and i'm thinking of taking up rugby again after a few years away from it. When I played I loved it, so i'm just looking to get back into it on a social aspect with my local club.

Just a few stats about myself, i'm 6ft 1 and I currently weigh 108kg. I can bench press 105 kg for 6 reps and 3 sets, and squat around 140kg for 6 reps 4 sets. I'm still pretty agile due to playing a couple of years of football as a clumsy centre forward lol.

My question is, will I be able to re-adapt to the demands of rugby and whether it's possible to start this great sport again after a few years away from it.

Also, i'm unsure to what position would be suitable for me. I like to think i'm quite quick running the 100m in 11.7 when I was 16, (albeit 30kg less weight) lol. But still I have some speed for being a 'big guy' so I was thinking no. 8. When I played I was outside centre or fullback due to my direct running however.

Any advice on training tips to get fit for the rugby season, what position I should be looking at due to my physical makeup, and whether if it is possible to start up again and what be needed to achieve it would be greatly appreciated. Willing to learn and listen, thanks for listening :)

Latest posts