JPR Williams has passed away

Pieter Steph du Teague

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
"Bridgend Ravens are devastated to announce the passing of JPR Williams.

One of Bridgend's most decorated players and an icon of World rugby, JPR served the club most recently as Club President.

Our thoughts are with JPR's family and friends at this sad time"

I haven't actually read too many rugby autobiographies and certainly not many from his era but I have read his. Icon of the game. RIP.

"Bridgend Ravens are devastated to announce the passing of JPR Williams.

One of Bridgend's most decorated players and an icon of World rugby, JPR served the club most recently as Club President.

Our thoughts are with JPR's family and friends at this sad time"

I haven't actually read too many rugby autobiographies and certainly not many from his era but I have read his. Icon of the game. RIP.
My dad used to say if there was any Welshman he wished was English, it was JPR Williams.

Saw this earlier. Really sad news. True icon of the game in Wales and worldwide. Obviously grew up with my dad raving about the Welah side of the 70's, with JPR one of the players who really captured the spirit of that side.

Legend.

Rest in peace JPR. 🕊️ Blessings to the Williams family.

Once famously came back on the field after getting 30 stitches to his face and ran 50 yards to punch a South African lock and that's before you even get into the rugby. Legend. RIP

Also, something I wasn't aware of was he played against England 10 times, scored 5 tries and never lost against them. Again, legend.

Now this guy could play. The term legend gets thrown about to much, but JPR truly was one.

I love that all his tests were at full back except for one.

Not wing, not fly half but flanker. He actually wore the 7 shirt in a test on an Australian tour after an injury crisis. IIRC when he came back to junior levels with Tondu, that was largely as a flanker too.

The only time I saw him play, other than on TV, was the great Lions v Barbarians game at Twickenham in 1977. Only time I saw two of my absolute heroes on the pitch together, Irvine and JPR (both scored great tries that day)

Latest posts