• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

English Union proposes compensation from Unions aggressively pursuing eligibilty rules

And when England start scouting players abroad then we can accuse them of hypocrisy...

Absolutely, but I really wouldn't have a problem with it

I've realized I'm in a weird place in the middle of this conversation

Absolutely, but I really wouldn't have a problem with it

I've realized I'm in a weird place in the middle of this conversation

The point was England were accused of being hypocrites for wanting to stop something when we don't do it.

To me it still comes down to how are you going to punish the Scottish or Welsh Unions for a decision ultimately made by a player to play for x country. Do you punish the player? How would this work? It's just an empty statement of frustration from the RFU in my eyes.

I think you are forgetting the primary target is England but what is to stop the scouts going after young Irish players? Particularly those in Northern Ireland will have Scottish ancestry.
Absolutely nothing. Tommy Seymour is a case in point. Was an up and coming player in the Irish system and was brought by the SRU to Scotland to further his career. Became a Scotland international and Lions tourist. You don't find anyone in Ireland quibbling with that. Good on him. He had Scottish ancestry and built an excellent career there.

I'm in no doubt that there'll soon be a lot of Irish born rugby players with Eastern European parents who'd wish to line out for their ancestral home. While they'd be a loss to Ireland, I won't begrudge them and equally wouldn't be looking for compensation.

Absolutely nothing. Tommy Seymour is a case in point. Was an up and coming player in the Irish system and was brought by the SRU to Scotland to further his career. Became a Scotland international and Lions tourist. You don't find anyone in Ireland quibbling with that. Good on him. He had Scottish ancestry and built an excellent career there.

Born in America to an English father and a Scottish mother :p

i'm waiting for the reimbursement for the pre-natal care that the mothers of ronan o'gara and sam underhill received here

Born in America to an English father and a Scottish mother :p
But to follow the point we sunk our sweet sweet cash into his development into a decent useful human.
Also if WR did disband Scotland's inglorious ******* squad (which they have no right to do under their current eligibility rules) the Scots could just do it slightly more discretely and have no issue.
I'm glad we keep the bloodlines pure here and make interlopers dissappear if they try and breed with our women. We don't have this problem.

And when England start scouting players abroad then we can accuse them of hypocrisy... The whole point was England were earlier accused of being hypocrites yet we don't actually engage in enticing players from abroad with the promise of England caps.
The hypocrisy is that England should be allowed to use the benefits they have as a country, immigration has nothing to do with the RFU, yet the Irish and Scots shouldn't get to benefit from our people emigrating and ******* like rabbits, which isn't an IRFU policy...

The hypocrisy is that England should be allowed to use the benefits they have as a country, immigration has nothing to do with the RFU, yet the Irish and Scots shouldn't get to benefit from our people emigrating and ******* like rabbits, which isn't an IRFU policy...

Not our fault we have the best country in the world.

Er no that is not hypocrisy. We use the best rugby players in our country and are arguing against poaching players from other countries. The RFU don't poach players so it is not hypocritical for them to oppose player poaching...

Er no that is not hypocrisy. We use the best rugby players in our country and are arguing against poaching players from other countries. The RFU don't poach players so it is not hypocritical for them to oppose player poaching...
Best players in our country, best players available to our country, it reads the same to me, you want your benefits and not to give other unions theirs. Hypocrisy.

Do the RFU want our unions compensated for the players poached from our clubs by English clubs? I doubt it... hypocrisy.

You can still play those players if you wanted to, it's not like playing in the premiership locks you to England.
If Scotland poach and cap our youngsters the RFU doesn't have the opportunity to get a return on their investment.

When's the last time England poached someone from the Irish system? Has it ever happened?

You can still play those players if you wanted to, it's not like playing in the premiership locks you to England.
If Scotland poach and cap our youngsters the RFU doesn't have the opportunity to get a return on their investment.

When's the last time England poached someone from the Irish system? Has it ever happened?
Nothing stops England capping the players that are going, if they were so important they would.

Tadgh McElroy, taken from Leinster's (I think) academy to Saracens and wasn't picked for the u20 RWC team because of it. Having 10 times the population would make it less common in England though.

I should stress that I'm delighted if someone moves to Scotland, enjoys living here, qualifies through residency and plays rugby for Scotland (now that it is a more sensible 5 years). There isn't a racial element to my concerns and many Scots are bricking it if political changes mean those born overseas have a harder time moving here or staying here (because of perceived financial difficulties this may cause).

I'm Italian qualified under these eligibility rules despite having no close relatives living in Italy since WWII and not speaking a word of the lingo. The thought of someone tapping me for Italy and luring me with promises of club and international opportunities potentially ahead of an Italian youth product infuriates me. The fact Italy can do this without any form of compensation to the organisations that made me the player I am today* is a flaw in the system to me.

Look at the absolute farce of the Rugbh League World Cup for a sign of how perverse international sport can be under grandparent eligibilit rules.

*I wish

England played Lebanon in the rlwc and they only fielded one Lebanese player

Half the players in the rlwc have already turned out for Australia and are now on their second country cause they've not been picked.
International RL is a farce

Best players in our country, best players available to our country, it reads the same to me, you want your benefits and not to give other unions theirs. Hypocrisy.

Do the RFU want our unions compensated for the players poached from our clubs by English clubs? I doubt it... hypocrisy.

Ok we have done being reasonable and you're now being intentionally obtuse and quite frankly a bit of a prick. No it is NOT hypocrisy because we are not doing the thing we want to stop. It may read the same to you but it isn't to anyone else. We use players in our country and do not entice players from abroad with the promise of England caps therefore us opposing such action is NOT hypocritical.

Latest posts