• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Starting Rugby

I intended of making a small video of a few drills but realised all my mates are studying for the leaving this week so I wont have any help with them :/
Will do a few nice ones on MS paint however :p

I intended of making a small video of a few drills but realised all my mates are studying for the leaving this week so I wont have any help with them :/
Will do a few nice ones on MS paint however :p

Haha thanks very much!

Olly :D

My Workout:

Day 1: Chest & Triceps

- Pec Flys 3 Sets l Reps 8-12
- Dumbbell Press 3 Sets l Reps 8-12
- Push Ups (Using a push up bar) 3 Sets l Reps 6-10 (I do press ups a lot slower for a higher intensity)

- Close Grip Bench Press 3 Sets l Reps 6-12
- Dips 3 Sets l Reps 10-12

Day 2: Rest Day (Change to cardio/fitness?)

Day 3 Biceps and Lats

- Dumbbell Curls 3 Sets l Reps 10-12 (Each Hand)
- Hammer Curls 3 Sets l Reps 10-12 (Each Hand)

- Dumbbell Rows 3 Sets l Reps 10-14
- Pull Ups (Over Hand and Under Hand) 3 Sets l Reps 8-12

Day 4 - Rest Day (Change to cardio/fitness?)

Day 5 - Shoulders

- Military Press /using Barbell 3 Sets l Reps 6-10
- Military Press /using Dumbbells 3 Sets l Reps 6-10
- Side Raises 3 Sets l Reps 8-12

Day 6 - Rest Day (Change to cardio/fitness?)

Day 7 - Legs

- Calf raises 3 Sets l Reps 16-20
- Squats 3 Sets l Reps 6-12
- Dead Lift 3 Sets l Reps 4-8
- Power Cleans 3 Sets l Reps 4-8

Is there anything I need to add / remove from the work out?
I realize adding fitness and conditioning exercises is vital but anything else?

Last edited:
It's got everything in there that I'd suggest, seems a good program
I would, however, move deadlifts to the Bicep/Lat day, as it's more of a back than a leg exercise (and would allow extra efforts on the squats, and the deadlifts on the other day)

Actually, I'd add in a hamstring exercise as well (possibly two):
Straight leg deadlift
and then possibly leg curls as well (doing both is preferable, but if picking just one then SLD)

You should always leave one day of complete rest, but two days of fitness is alright - One day do "base" training, so like a long run, or a long bike, swimming etc., then the other do some sprints/interval training (either literal sprints, or on the rower, on the bike)

It's got everything in there that I'd suggest, seems a good program
I would, however, move deadlifts to the Bicep/Lat day, as it's more of a back than a leg exercise (and would allow extra efforts on the squats, and the deadlifts on the other day)

Actually, I'd add in a hamstring exercise as well (possibly two):
Straight leg deadlift
and then possibly leg curls as well (doing both is preferable, but if picking just one then SLD)

You should always leave one day of complete rest, but two days of fitness is alright - One day do "base" training, so like a long run, or a long bike, swimming etc., then the other do some sprints/interval training (either literal sprints, or on the rower, on the bike)

Thanks I'll move the Deadlifts to Day 3, I'd imagine it would work a lot better that way because I find dead lifts bloody tiring :p, and I'll try to use the SLD and Leg Curls, may not be able to do the Leg Curls though because the legs curl work out is on the bench and is too close to the ground and when moved up I think it was in an awkward position so you had to raise your legs up and then try I do the curls if that makes sense, but I'll definitely do the SLD.

I'll make sure to start doing base training and sprints or interval training once I finish exams I've already started doing sprints, I'm fairly fast but I'll be fair my stamina and endurance is pretty appalling so I need to work on this.

Thanks again for all your help it's greatly appreciated.

If you want a good brain workout, go to the Rugby World cup 2012 Game section and read through all the posts, working out what some of the newbies are trying to say will really make you feel smart.

I'd only maybe use one day for cardio. You won't gain the muscle if you don't allow it to repair itself.

Don't be daft
1 rest day a week is enough, and he's not doing cardio in the same session as weights so he's allowing his muscles to repair

Don't be daft
1 rest day a week is enough, and he's not doing cardio in the same session as weights so he's allowing his muscles to repair

He didn't post how many reps he's doing so I'm guessing.

Yeah definitely do cardio on the the rest days. Take one day off or do something like 3 weeks on 1 week off. Maybe add a conditioning day where you have say 6 stations with 3 exercises at each and do it in 5 min. E.g. 50 chin ups 100 press ups 100 squats with 10 k.g.

Rep ranges look good to me

In very simple terms 4-6 is strength rep range and 8-12 is hypertrophy (muscle size) - there's more to it than that but that's vaguely it

I'd do your big compounds in lower rep range, so your squats, deadlifts, overhead press I'd do 5x5 (possibly bench as well) - Powercleans I'd keep as you're doing them (though maybe 3x4-6) as they hit your body/central nervous system hard so you don't want to over do them (also you don't want your form to slip on higher reps of high weights as it could result in an injury)
For your isolation/supplementary exercises do them in the higher rep ranges, so your curls, close-grip bench etc. in 8-12

Latest posts