• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

State of Origin - Game 1, 05/06/2013

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
state_of_origin.jpg

It's that time of year again, with the naming of NSW's team sounding the horn to start the festivities.

NSW have named a team with three debutants - James Maloney, Andrew Fifita and Blake Ferguson.

Altough NRL.com has reported Blake Ferguson as making the team ahead of Akuila Uate and Nathan Merritt, I think it's more of a case of Josh Morris being fit. Should either Ferguson or Morris find themselves with an injury, it will be interesting to see who gets the nod - I'd imagine Uate but it would be great to see Merrit get a long awaited start.

With NSW hosting two games this year and Qld entering an Origin series for the first time without star bookend Petero Civoniceva in over a decade and also missing long time prop Ben Hannant, the Maroons certainly have their work cut out for them. In saying that though, here's an interesting statistic - NSW have never won a State of Origin match with a debutant five-eighth.

Queensland have picked a team which most people had expected to see with the exception of the Roosters' Martin Kennedy missing out on a bench spot as a back up prop but judging by the other reserves being back rowers, it seems the selectors will place Thaiday up front when it's time to give the props a rest.

There are a few concerns for Qld with Boyd being seen in a moon-boot today, however coach Meninga has openly declared he will wait until the last minute if needed to make a call. If Boyd is omitted, although not officially named, Justin O'Neill will take his place.

Unfortunately Ben Te'o was replaced in the first half of the Rabbitohs loss to the Sharks as result of a calf injury. He is expected to be fit come next Wednesday though.

To further confuse things, Johnathan Thurston and his partner Samantha are expecting their first child on the night of the game. Should baby Thurston come in to the world as planned, JT will drop out with Cherry-Evans taking his place.

Chris McQueen (Rabbitohs) is Qld's only debutant.

NSW Blues

1. Jarryd Hayne (Eels)
2. Brett Morris (Dragons)
3. Michael Jennings (Roosters)
4. Josh Morris (Bulldogs)
5. Blake Ferguson (Raiders)
6. James Maloney (Roosters)
7. Mitchell Pearce (Roosters)
8. Paul Gallen (c) (Sharks)
9. Robbie Farah (Tigers)
10. James Tamou (Cowboys)
11. Ryan Hoffman (Storm)
12. Luke Lewis (Sharks)
13. Greg Bird (***ans)

14. Josh Reynolds (Bulldogs)
15. Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles)
16. Andrew Fifita (Sharks)
17. Trent Merrin (Dragons)

18. John Sutton (Rabbitohs)

Qld Maroons

1. Billy Slater (Storm)
2. Darius Boyd (Knights) - Justin O'Neill will enter the camp as a shadow in case Boyd is ruled out at the last minute
3. Greg Inglis (Rabbitohs)
4. Justin Hodges (Broncos)
5. Brent Tate (Cowboys)
6. Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)
7. Cooper Cronk (Storm)
8. Matt Scott (Cowboys)
9. Cameron Smith (c) (Storm)
10. David Shillington (Raiders)
11. Nate Myles (***ans)
12. Sam Thaiday (Broncos)
13. Ashley Harrison (***ans)

14. Corey Parker (Broncos)
15. Matt Gillett (Broncos)
16. Ben Te'o (Rabbitohs)
17. Chris McQueen (Rabbitohs)

18. Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles)
19. Josh Papalii (Raiders)

Last edited:
Wow, I can't wait for this. Hopefully it will be ultra competitive which it was for long spells last year.

Surely the Blues have to take this year's one they are so overdue for a win!! Last year's was unbelieveably amazing one of the great Origins of all time and this years looks to be ultra competitive as well. Odd and revealing stat that Melon(is it the nerves for the debutants in such a crucial position in front of the huge crowd?), maybe they'll lose the first game than and win the final two to steal the series :D.

Kurt Kidley has been ruled out with a foot injury. Although he has been playing well below his ability of late, he would have still brought a wealth of experience to the team as well as providing the Blues with the luxury of having a player who can play above average at 9, 7, 6, 1 and even 3, 4.

Tim Grant was very unlucky to miss out on a spot, however many are calling for John Sutton to be included in the squad as a semi-utility in that he can play five-eighth as well as lock/back row.

Qld's team was named this evening, I have amended the original post to reflect this.

It's a very real possibility that Darius Boyd will be ruled out, with Justin O'Neill slotting in to cover the wing. Mal Meninga will give him until the last minute to prove his fitness.

With Gidley being ruled out, today Laurie Daley has called up Canterbury's five-eighth Josh Reynolds and South Sydney's John Sutton.

I'm thinking Reynolds may have a slight edge over Sutton due to his ability to also cover hooker as well as having a superior kicking game.

I'm running a superbru pool for anyone interested in State of Origin, it is called State of Inebriation, pool code "bornbrio".

Good hustle, Doug. I've joined up - it looks like a pretty nifty piece of gear that there superbru!

In Origin news, Josh Reynolds has edged out John Sutton to replace Kurt Gidley on NSW's bench.

Good hustle, Doug. I've joined up - it looks like a pretty nifty piece of gear that there superbru!

In Origin news, Josh Reynolds has edged out John Sutton to replace Kurt Gidley on NSW's bench.

Yeah I forgot about my IQ picks because I am a part of superbru so much and it has everything on there.

Will join the pool as well later. Hoping for some quality footie ;)

Will join the pool as well later. Hoping for some quality footie ;)

I see you just joined!! I picked NSW by 2, very tough to call but I think a certain amount of uncertainty surrounds the Maroons lineup in a couple of positions, and I really think at home the Blues are due for a win. This is the best Blues side I've seen in a while, while some of the Queensland players are just about getting past their peak.

Having said this the Maroons will probably come out like a house on fire and win by 20 LOL.

Edit: Lot's of Cowboys players on both teams which makes this season all the more dissapointing, the talent is there why are they playing so poorly!!

I also picked the Blues, Hayne is playing awesomely and I'm not a Slater fan :)

I see you just joined!! I picked NSW by 2, very tough to call but I think a certain amount of uncertainty surrounds the Maroons lineup in a couple of positions, and I really think at home the Blues are due for a win. This is the best Blues side I've seen in a while, while some of the Queensland players are just about getting past their peak.

Having said this the Maroons will probably come out like a house on fire and win by 20 LOL.

Edit: Lot's of Cowboys players on both teams which makes this season all the more dissapointing, the talent is there why are they playing so poorly!!

Lol, there's only one in the Blues side who on form is lucky to be there, however he is the incumbent. Lots indeed ;)

Lol, there's only one in the Blues side who on form is lucky to be there, however he is the incumbent. Lots indeed ;)

Yeah that was poor wording by me, I was getting at there being lots of Cowboys playing in Origin in general.

Edit: Boyd and Thurston are both cleared to play for the Maroons, there is an outside chance Thurston will have to drop off the roster if his wife gives birth but apparently thats listed as pretty unlikely at the moment.

Last edited:
Never realised what this meant until I found myself jet lagged in a Sydney hotel in 1991 and turned on the TV to find one of these games on and also for the following five days of meetings only marginally allowed to proceed after the obligatory nearly 2 hours discussion of what went wrong and what went right for NSW!!

Ah memories.........................................

Oh **** it all to hell!!!

Good win by the Blues. Michael Jennings was electrifying, Luke Lewis was a metre eater who was constantly dangerous despite his couple of errors and Jarryd Hayne had a solid game.

The Maroons showed some glimpses of greatness towards the end, however in the first half they were completely out-classed.

Paul Gallen is a complete piece of **** mind you. Although not quite a king hit, his first out-of-nowhere hay maker on Nate Myles was a dog act then followed it up with another four, and it all started with Gallen throwing an initial punch in the tackle. Six all together. Gallen was complaining about Myles twisting his leg in each tackle and considering Gallen is having issues with it, if that's true I guess Myles had something coming to him, but regardless, the actions of Gallen were down right callous. Although not given time in the bin, he was placed on report so with any luck he'll get atleast a two game suspension.

Finished watching the game and must say I really enjoyed it. Gutted that the Maroons didn't win but their basic errors cost them. The second try was glorious viewing, some neat hands and the offload by Ingils was class.

Saying that ... I can now say that I am no longer a fan of Gallen, such a douche it's unbelievable. Those cheap shots were appalling and how the referee misses it was beyond a joke.

I expect the Maroons to comeback second game.

I also enjoyed the game, especially the first half. If this is the standard the other games should be a real pleasure to watch.

I also enjoyed the game, especially the first half. If this is the standard the other games should be a real pleasure to watch.

Is this your first SoO? I'm not a big fan of the league game, but I LOVE State of Origin, and try to watch it every year (though I sometimes only catch 2 out of the 3 games). Just finished watching this first one and was glad to see NSW win. I miss Lockyer, but now I don't feel the same loyalty for the Maroons since he's retired.

das

Agreed with everyone on Gallen I thought he was heading to the bin FOR SURE!!! I know Origin is a little loose in the discipline department but that was ridiculous. He also could have cost his team at the moment they were really turning the screws.

I thought Queensland were really flat for the first half and a few parts of the second, I really think a part of it is the squad is getting a bit older and it looked like Thurston was struggling with that groin injury which aggracvated things. The atmopshere was fantastic as well and the NSW fans were really into it, they matched the passion of the Maroons fans.

Hayne stood out for me from the Blues thought he was everywhere so did Jennings they were giving the Maroons fits on defence. Maloney's missed penalty was a farily easy attempt that left valuble points on the board but it didn't factor in the end.

Can't wait for game two would love to see a decider in game three, I really think the Blues are going to take the series though it's been a long time coming and they looked hungry out there.

Entertaining game.

Wish they are all like this. Gallen's punch was worthy of (T)KO of the night.