TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_66124698_cdf_be_wales_v_barbarians120.jpg

London Wasps fly-half Stephen Jones is to retire at the end of the season and take up a coaching role with the club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21617435

Underrated. He was the most complete NH fly-half of the last decade imho.

Sad to see him go. Was certainly Mr Consistent. Never set the world on fire, but never really crashed and burned either. Certainly was quality for Wales.

Was average until that year he spent in France and never looked back, became a far more consistent, effective and talismanic for Wales and the clubs he represented. Nice to see him being a coach and fully expect him to be the Wales kicking coach after Jenks

Posted this in the Welsh rugby thread:

I think Stephen Jones deserves a massive amount of respect for his great career. He never had the kind of natural talent that many other players possess, but with hard work he's carved himself an incredibly good career. The most capped Welsh player of all time, with 104 caps, 2 Lions tours as first choice 10, a great career with Llanelli/Scarlets, and a very good period with Clermont in France where he shone. Not bad for someone who doesn't always look totally natural running or kicking lol.

I love Stephen and always shall. Hero. Legend. All manner of other words I wish to spray all over him. Sad to see him go.

Was average until that year he spent in France and never looked back, became a far more consistent, effective and talismanic for Wales and the clubs he represented. Nice to see him being a coach and fully expect him to be the Wales kicking coach after Jenks

This.

His time at Clermont is what changed him. When he came back and played for Wales, his kicking improved tenfold and I still remember watching his first kick into touch after spending some time in Clermont. He kicked it twice as far as he ever did.

Was always a big fan of Wellies.
Six lions caps on two tours, nothing to be sniffed at!

Good to see he'll still be involved in rugby when he's done.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

I always liked Jones. Humble always gave 100% always came back after knocks and he let Ireland win a grandslam. :p
Hope he turns out to be a successful. Wales' most important player oh the '00's.

This.

His time at Clermont is what changed him. When he came back and played for Wales, his kicking improved tenfold and I still remember watching his first kick into touch after spending some time in Clermont. He kicked it twice as far as he ever did.

Bit that stands out to me was his run immediately after half time in the 2005 France game. The pre-Clermont Jones would never have done it or even tried that run.

A top player and I wish him well in all of his endeavours in the future... why couldn't it have been the 'journalist'.

A top player and I wish him well in all of his endeavours in the future... why couldn't it have been the 'journalist'.

Thats exactly what I thought when I read the ***le.

Anyway great player and best of luck to him, he did after let us have the GS :D

He was very much an underrated fly-half for his whole career, and will probably sadly remain underrated for quite a while to come. But I think one day the rugby-following public will look back at Jones as one of the Welsh greats, up with the likes of Phil Bennett or Barry John.

So many times has Steve guided Wales or Scarlets to victory with his steady rugby brain. A fantastic 10, and the likes of Priestland/Biggar/Hook etc. have big boots to fill.

Latest posts