Stephenson to wing it for Leeds

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Leeds Carnegie have moved quickly to make former England winger Michael Stephenson their first signing.

The 29-year-old, who has been capped three times, will arrive at Headingley after making nearly 100 appearances for Bath.

Stephenson, who also played for Newcastle, has agreed a two-year deal and he believes the future is bright at Carnegie.

"It has been good to see what Leeds Carnegie have done in recent weeks and I am excited about the challenge ahead," he said.

"Leeds faced a big challenge to stay in the Guinness Premiership this season but hopefully next season we can build on those foundations.

"I spoke to Stuart Hooper at Bath about his time at Leeds and he had nothing but good things to say about the club and the city.

"I have been up to the training ground and have obviously played at Headingley Carnegie before and everything is in place for the club to kick on in the future. If you look for indicators of how a club is going, things are very good at Leeds.

"The first team have done well in the Guinness Premiership, the A team got through to the semi finals, the academy is producing quality young players and someone like Hendre Fourie is getting picked for England. All those things to say to me that Leeds Carnegie is a club going places."

Leeds director of rugby Andy Key believes Stephenson will fit into the philosophy being instilled at Headingley

"I have known about Michael's abilities for a number of years, going back to his time at Newcastle and he has always impressed," said Key.

"He has pace and knows how to beat an opponent with his one on one skills. He is a northern lad and we know from our recruitment process that crucially he also has the right character to fit into our group."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3823_6149206,00.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Huge signing for them

Good signing, shame that Bath let him go to be honest, has performed really well at times this season. Will do well for Leeds.

Latest posts