• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Strength & Conditioning for a back

M

Muzzer

Hi, im looking for an off-season and an on-season strength & conditioning programme used by a back in either rugby union or the equivalent position in rugby league. I have tried various sites this last few months and have got some good information, but none from someone who actually plays the game and has done the programmes. Can anyone help me out, thanks.

What position do you play? NSW rugby gave me a folder of all different position specific training drills and conditioning that you can do yourself.

I can copy and send you whatever you like. Just tell me what position you play, and it'll be done :)

Hi Mate. I play right wing or full back. I have a good idea of field conditioning drills, plyometrics etc, but the one thing i am lacking is a weights programme for on and off season. I need to bulk as much as possible off season, but im not sure about how to approach a programme for on-season. If you could give me any help in this it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

PM me your email and I'll send you some info within the next few days.
[/b]

Is it easy for you to get the information onto your computer or are you going to be typing loads of things out? I'd be really interested in seeing some of this stuff too if it's not too much trouble...

check out this out-of-date yet interesting site - http://www.playtheball.com/fitness/

if you're looking to bulk up in the off-season my advice would be to get yourself some good basic creatine and protein and do these strength training exercises at least 3 times a week with a regimented program with a spotter or teammate and just push yourself beyond your limits especially with core exercises such as the squat, deadlifts, clean, etc.

check out this out-of-date yet interesting site - http://www.playtheball.com/fitness/

if you're looking to bulk up in the off-season my advice would be to get yourself some good basic creatine and protein and do these strength training exercises at least 3 times a week with a regimented program with a spotter or teammate and just push yourself beyond your limits especially with core exercises such as the squat, deadlifts, clean, etc.
[/b]
You do know that stuff's not good for you, right?

You need Protein to build muscle, as for the creatine, It helps you train longer but will dehydrate you. Just take your powder, eat right and you will be in tip top shape.

<div class='quotemain'>
creatine and protein
[/b]
You do know that stuff's not good for you, right?
[/b][/quote]

I'm intrigued to know how protein (essential to EVERYONE'S daily diet) and creatine (found in meats and fish) are bad for you.

Taking anything that isn't part of a natural daily diet is bad for you. If you need more protein, eat more red meat; if you need creatine, take in more meat and fish.

That's ludicrous thinking.
What about all the medicines in the world? You're not gonna find those in your meals, but they're not going to be bad for you, are they?
What about Omega3 which is found in fish, but which doctors reguarly tell people (especially old folk) to take when suffering arthritis or just sore joints. You COULD eat more and more fish, but why do that? It forces you to change your diet so much to get increased amounts they may need. Omega3 can be found in liquid or tablet form it doesn't disrupt people's everyday lifestyle so why not take it. We have the technology to make it. Let's use it. It's not BAD FOR YOU! It has the same benefits and just because it's a tablet there are no more draw backs to that of eating fish. It's just more conveniant. I'd love to hear you argue that with a medical professional.

But what IS a natural daily diet?
We love in a modern world and natural doesn't mean "fat of the land" anymore.

Homemade smoothies made from fresh apples, bananas and milk is natural...just not packaged in a natural form. It's still good for you.
Herbal tablets are natural...just not packaged in a natural form - they're still good for you.
Protein powder is natural...just not packaged in a natural form. It's still good for you.

The point of my argument is: Just because it's convenient, doesn't mean it's bad for you.

Whey protein isnt bad for you..

Whey is a lactose-free or reduced lactose protein loaded with nutrients and essential amino acids. It is also easily digestible, and parts of whey have disease-fighting effects, so how protein is bad for you is beyond me..

The fact is whey is very healthy for you, it not only helps out the immune system but it helps you build muscle, and providing you dont take an absolutely absurd amount of whey there should be no problems, just remember to drink water with it to help dilute it so it doesnt collect in your kidneys and such.

Strength for a back?!?!

;)

But yeah, creatine and protein supplements don't f*** you up. They make you all buff like!

in my experience creatine and protein didn't have adverse effects on my health - although I don't think that they are really necessary once you've reached the level that you are satisfied with

Latest posts