• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 round 1

Half time reds v tahs 6-6 .........awesome game

Theres no better match in the super12/14 than this one, theres so much bad blood in this game...i love it :cheers:

Thats what the kiwi v kiwi matches lack, there all to friendly with eachother.

Cordingley and Sailor have really impressed me so far

Crusaders - Highlanders matches are usually fairly good, competitive matches.... Except tonight. (38-15 Crusaders)

But yeah, you're right, that Queensland-New South Wales thing is intense.

As far as intensity and passion goes, I don't think there is a game in this competition that can match the New South Wales v Queensland show down. Grand finals have trouble matching it. These games are not usually pretty, and tonight it was far, far from that - but I've never seen such physically gruelling encounters as these ones at provincial level. I could nearly feel some of those tackles being made.

P.S. Could you hear all the Wendell chants and **** on television? That is one hated *******. At one point, my corner was giving him so much **** he walked straight over to us, bowed, and walked back :roflrol:. No doubt about it, they'll be booing him at the Bledisloe.

Originally posted by Wally@Feb 12 2006, 12:32 AM
As far as intensity and passion goes, I don't think there is a game in this competition that can match the New South Wales v Queensland show down. Grand finals have trouble matching it. These games are not usually pretty, and tonight it was far, far from that - but I've never seen such physically gruelling encounters as these ones at provincial level. I could nearly feel some of those tackles being made.

P.S. Could you hear all the Wendell chants and **** on television? That is one hated *******. At one point, my corner was giving him so much **** he walked straight over to us, bowed, and walked back :roflrol:. No doubt about it, they'll be booing him at the Bledisloe.
So how are we going to do this? I suppose I should just stop you from posting and I'll tell getofmeland to delete your account?

Originally posted by Wally@Feb 12 2006, 12:50 AM
Yeah alright. Bye.
Instead of leaving you should just have a pic of the tahs as your sig untill the reds win a game....

632752994932584999.jpg

Can one of you Saffas please tell me why Ruan Pienaar is not the starting scrum/half for the springboks???

He's daylight ahead of any other scrum/half you guys have and he's only 21

Sharks topple Chiefs
February 12, 2006 - 7:54am
Story by: Sportal

The Sharks have kick-started their Tooheys New Super 14 season off in emphatic style with a 30-21 win over the Chiefs in Durban.
The home side was led by a brilliant AJ Venter and all players made healthy contributions as the Sharks came from behind to win comfortably.
The Sharks struggled initially in the second half after taking a 24-10 lead to the break as the Chiefs began to find some form.
However, the victors' defence held steady against a spirited and determined Chiefs ressurgence to take the crucial points.
The hosts had done enough in the first half, when they really sizzled against a Kiwi combination that at times looked a little shell-shocked.
The New Zealand side started impressively after barnstorming No.8 Sione Lauaki crossed for a try in the eighth minute.
But young Sharks halfback Ruan Pienaar soon brought the home side back into the fold with a 40m dash for a try in the 15th minute.
This sparked a Sharks revival and shortly after it was Percy Montgomery who found the line to give the locals a healthy lead.
The Springbok fullback, who played at first five eighth for the Sharks, was in the action again towards the end of the first half as he touched down to give his side an almost unassailable 24-10 lead.
The Chiefs turned on a more spirited second half performance but never looked like toppling the strong South African franchise.
A brilliant try to Sosene Anesi in the 58th minute proved to be a case of too little too late as the Sharks waltzed home with the points.

The Truth, DICK Muir shifted him around to no.10 for a lot of last year, even though he says he prefers no.9 so he hasn't played a lot of scrummy as of late, but I agree when he is on form not many can keep up with him in the republic.

Stormers got a 23-12 victory over a very poor Cats side. Average game by the Stormers will have to improve a fair bit against the Tahs, on the bright side a lot of our young players handled their first S14 game well, Peter Grant started off shaky but looked better as the game went on the 2 Boland flyers Jongi Nokwe and Rayno Benjamin played well especially, Nokwe who should have his name on a green jersey by the end of the S14.

Lachlan MacKay is going to miss the rest of the season after he did his knee on friday night against the Brumbies.

So there goes our best fly/half
down.gif

I have said this on another rugby site but I'll post it here

Never again will I go to Subiaco Oval to watch a Super 14 game!!! It was definitely not value for money.

Going to games in South Africa you get a real festival type feel at the games, especially King’s Park in Durban. You get a great view from any seat, and it is a friendly attitude. You can turn up to King’s Park 2 hours and even earlier before the game and enjoy yourself.

I turned up to Subiaco Oval, no festival feel to it at all, nothing was going on beforehand (if someone passed by Subiaco they wouldn’t have had a clue that a rugby game was going to commence in less than 2 hours), terrible pricing for the crap view I got, no atmosphere in the surrounding area at all.

--------

On another note, Congratulations to the Sharks on in improved performance, and well done Pienaar and Monty on great games.

The atmosphere seemed good from where I was (on my coach). There was a fair bit of chanting and noise.

Originally posted by Wally@Feb 13 2006, 01:44 PM
The atmosphere seemed good from where I was (on my coach). There was a fair bit of chanting and noise.
Inside the ground it was good. Outside the ground I'm talking about and surrounding areas, nothing!!! Before or After!!!

Originally posted by Stormer@Feb 12 2006, 02:16 AM
Nokwe who should have his name on a green jersey by the end of the S14.
What? Nokwe has done nothing to state a claim on a bok jersey, Mentz and Ndungane are much better than Nokwe!

Originally posted by Groen_en_Goud+Feb 13 2006, 05:53 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Feb 13 2006, 01:44 PM
Inside the ground it was good. Outside the ground I'm talking about and surrounding areas, nothing!!! Before or After!!! [/b]
thats like most matches in aus.. rugby isnt quite the same as is is back home..

and go SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLANET RUGBY'S TEAM OF THE WEEK FOR ROUND 1

Here's our form XV for Week One:

15. Chris Latham (Reds):
The rest of his teammates tried to lull us (and the opposition) to sleep so they could sneak an unsuspecting win. But his class shone through and he got our vote.
Bubbling under: Werner Greeff (Stormers)

14. Wendell Sailor (Waratahs):
We've never been fans of Sailor, since he has seldom lived up to his pre-rugby union hype or his multi-million dollar price tag. His celebrations on Saturday also did not endear him to us either. But we simply could not ignore the fact that he produced one of his best performances since transferring form league.
Bubbling under: Lome Fa'atau (Hurricanes)

13. Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes):
Yes, we are well aware he started the game on the wing, but it was once he moved into the midfield that Nonu really had an impact on the game. And what an impact that was. He is ready to take over Tana Umaga mantle ... both at the Hurricanes and All Blacks.
Bubbling under: Ronnie Cooke (Cheetahs)

12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies):
This nippy Wallaby again showed at the weekend that his creative skills are better suited to the midfield than at fly-half, where he tends to become to programmed and not as instinctive.
Bubbling under: Andries Strauss (Sharks)

11. Rico Gear (Crusaders):
He is so much more than just a great finisher. But it was how Gear swept over the line, in his own majestic manner, for the third try and the killer blow than won him our vote.
Bubbling under: Bryan Habana (Bulls)

10. Percy Montgomery (Sharks):
It is not just the fact that he scored 25 of the Sharks 30 points which saw him edge Carter. It was his mature performance as a fly-half, a position he once played a Test in that convinced us. If Jake White is ever short of No.10 in the Green and Gold he can fall back on Montgomery with confidence.
Bubbling under: Dan Carter (Crusaders)

9. Ruan Pienaar (Sharks):
We can babble on about his over game, his passing, his kicking, etc. But it was one simple sweeping move, that try which saw him step inside two All Blacks, that finally won him our vote.
Bubbling Under: Fourie du Preez (Bulls)

8. Scott Fava (Western Force):
The crowd in Perth were looking for a hero in a losing cause and in Fava they found a very brave man.
Bubbling under: Mose Tuiali'i (Crusaders)

7. Richard McCaw (Crusaders):
The decision by Robbie Deans to move him to the blindside made absolutely no difference. He still found all the shortcuts.
Bubbling under: AJ Venter (Sharks)

6. Chris Masoe (Hurricanes):
The Blues' loose forwards must have spent countless hours looking over the video of the match, trying to figure out how they were so heavily outclassed. Five minutes of observing Masoe would have told them why.
Bubbling under: Kabamba Floors (Cheetahs)

5. James Ryan (Highlanders):
It takes a special player to stand out in a losing cause and Ryan is a special player. He again showed why he became an All Black last year.
Bubbling under: Hugh McMeniman (Reds)

4. Johan Ackermann (Sharks):
There are many people in South Africa who wonders why he did not play more Tests for his country and after the manner in which he - at times single-handedly - man-handled the Chiefs pack will raise those questions again. And his line-out work is not too shoddy either.
Bubbling under: Chris Jack (Crusaders)

3. Carl Hayman (Highlander):
If there is one aspect in which the Highlanders stood their ground it was the scrums, and Hayman was the cornerstone of that.
Bubbling under: Campbell Johnstone (Crusaders)

2. Anton Oliver (Highlanders):
Like good red wine he only gets better. Don't ever underestimate the value of a player like Oliver turning a team of mostly ordinary individuals into a very good unit. That is why they remained competitive for so long.
Bubbling under: Andrew Hore (Hurricanes)

1. Tony Woodcock (Blues):
Even when the Hurricanes were running rampant after the break, Woodcock made his presence felt on the park.
Bubbling under: Heinke van der Merwe (Sharks)

George Smith and George Gregan were really unlucky to miss out, they were brilliant on friday night.

Latest posts