• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 14 round 2

T

The TRUTH

Same as last week ,post all your latest news,squads for round 2 ,results and discuss....

Blues and Highlanders thanks to Dumbo

Blues: 1 - Tony Woodcock, 2 - Keven Mealamu (Captain), 3 - John Afoa, 4 - Greg Rawlinson, 5 - Ali Williams, 6 - Justin Collins, 7 - Daniel Braid, 8 - Nick Williams, 9 - Steve Devine, 10 - Tasesa Lavea, 11 - Joe Rokocoko, 12 - Luke McAlister, 13 - Anthony Tuitavake, 14 - Doug Howlett, 15 - Isa Nacewa.

Reserves: 16 - Tim Dow, 17 - Saimone Taumoepeau, 18 - Kurtis Haiu, 19 - Anthony Boric, 20 - John Senio, 21 - Rua Tipoki, 22 - Vili Waqaseduadua

Highlanders: 1 - Nick White, 2 - Anton Oliver (Captain), 3 - Carl Hayman, 4 - Tom Donnelly, 5 - James Ryan, 6 - Hoani MacDonald, 7 - Josh Blackie, 8 - Craig Newby, 9 - Chris Smylie, 10 - Nick Evans, 11 - Roy Kiniknilau, 12 - Seilala Mapusua, 13 - Neil Brew, 14 - Vilimoni Delasau, 15 - Ben Blair.

Reserves: 16 - Jason Macdonald, 17 - Chris King, 18 - Filipo Levi, 19 - Tim Boys, 20 - Jimmy Cowan, 21 - Callum Bruce, 22 - Richard Kahui.

from Fox Sports

Cockbain ready to answer Reds call
By Jim Tucker
February 15, 2006

FORMER Australia forward Matt Cockbain is to resume training with Queensland but an SOS to powerhouse Toutai Kefu to solve the trouble spot at No.8 has been ruled out.

Lock-flanker Cockbain, a 1999 Rugby World Cup winner, landed back in Brisbane yesterday at the end of a two-season stint in Japan with motivation to rekindle his career at Super 14 level.

Cockbain said he was willing to answer any call from the injury-hit Reds for little more than match payments if it would help out his old team.

Cockbain's offer will have to be considered seriously if the Reds suffer further injury fallout in the forwards during Saturday night's clash against the Crusaders at Suncorp Stadium.

The Reds yesterday named 117kg Australia Under-21 lock James Horwill for his Super 14 debut in a remodelled pack.

The possibility of a one-month contract for Kefu appears to fall in the too-hard basket.

Even though he is match fit and only child-minding his school-age kids in Japan after the end of the season, he is still under contract at Kubota for another year.

Reds high-performance manager Bob Murphy said yesterday there was no thought of pursuing Kefu on a short-term deal even with skipper and No.8 John Roe (knee) out for up to six weeks and his back-up Ben Mowen still sidelined with a broken jaw.

Mitchell Chapman shifts from flanker to No.8 against the Crusaders, which frees up Hugh McMeniman to move from lock to the back row - where he can have more of a roving impact.

Red-haired lock Cameron Treloar has been upgraded from the Reds academy squad with a one-month Super 14 contract to offer much-needed back-up.
At 33, Cockbain felt he could still contribute to the Reds' cause and telephoned coach Jeff Miller before he left Japan to offer his experience at Queensland training.

Miller confirmed Cockbain would join Reds training, probably this week, but with no guarantees.

"I'd definitely like to get on the paddock again with the Reds, feel the buzz of a big crowd and help with the rebuilding process," Cockbain said.

"I don't want to block anyone coming through but I'm match fit at the end of a season and ready to step in and do a job if needed."

Inspirational fullback Chris Latham was yesterday named the Reds' fifth captain in three seasons to take over from Roe, who followed Nathan Sharpe, Elton Flatley and Nick Stiles.

The Reds have left their most damaging midfield ball-runner on the bench again with Lloyd Johansson unable to budge promising flyhalf Berrick Barnes or inside centre Elton Flatley, the cool four-from-four marksman with the boot against New South Wales last weekend.

2ns Game Play off's;

17 Feb Highlanders v Blues
18 Feb Cats v Chiefs
18 Feb Bulls v Brumbies
18 Feb Hurricanes v W.Force
18 Feb Reds v Crusaders
19 Feb Sharks v Cheetahs
19 Feb Stormers v Waratahs
----------------------------------
Me thinks:
17 Feb Highlanders v Blues - Blues by 15
18 Feb Cats v Chiefs - Cats by 6
18 Feb Bulls v Brumbies - Brumbies by 4
18 Feb Hurricanes v W.Force - Hurricanes by 17
18 Feb Reds v Crusaders - Crusaders by 22
19 Feb Sharks v Cheetahs - Sharks by 2
19 Feb Stormers v Waratahs - Stomers by 10

Based on last weeks games...
Would like to see the team sheets before i commit...

Guys and you `branch manager (Chiro)`, submit your prediction in the Super 14 contest!

Dumbo, i`ve done that for you, try and submit also the score !

Thanks

I respect it's a pretty big call, just think... hard to define... they are the underdog, the team is getting it's **** together, they have a hell of a lot to prove, lot of reputations at stake... prime conditions for the Aussies to shine.

Poor reasoning but...

It's gonna be one helluva match, I think the winner will only be determined in the last 20 minutes or so! Can't wait, already got my ticket :bana:

yep im going for the bulls...brian habana is a champion!!! man he can hit you like a brick wall on wheels going down hill on a runner

absolute champ getting better every year and i hope to see him carve up the brumbies backline

Steve Larkhams 100th game for the brumbies , great achievement

I think the brumbies are gonna win this in a close one

Heres 7 reasons why:

SMITH
LARKHAM
GREGAN
GITEAU :cheers:
RATHBONE
MORTLOCK
GERRARD

this is gonna be a great game, match of the round for me

MOTM -Giteau ,he'll expose the bulls slow forwards(gaps galore)

Larkham to leave Brumbies after World cup
Published Wednesday, 15-Feb-2006
Written by The Tighthead

Wallaby and Brumbies Steven Larkham's name in on the team sheet to play his 100th game for the Brumbies this weekend against the Bulls in Pretoria but he has said that he is interested in quitting the Wallabies and Brumbies to play overseas.

Larkham kicked a last minute drop goal in the 1999 World cup which saw Australia beat South Africa and took them to the World cup final where they beat France.

Larkham says that he now intends to stick with the Brumbies and the Wallabies and then after the 2007 World cup in France he hopes to play overseas.

This means that after this season he will play only one more season with the Brumbies.

super14.com

Hurricanes team top play the FOrce:
1 John Schwalger
2 Andrew Hore
3 Neemia Tialata
4 Paul ***o
5 Jason Eaton
6 Jerry Collins
7 Chris Masoe
8 Rodney So’ioalo (Captain)
9 Piri Weepu
10 Jimmy Gopperth
11 Hosea Gear
12 Ma’a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Lome Fa’atau
15 Isaia Toeava
16 Luke Mahoney
17 Tim Fairbrother
18 Luke Andrews
19 Thomas Waldrom
20 Brendan Haami
21 Tamati Ellison
22 Tane Tu’ipulotu

From rugby365

Cats: 15 Earl Rose, 14 Ashwin Willemse, 13 Grant Esterhuizen, 12 Wayne Julies, 11 Jaque Fourie, 10 Tiaan Snyman, 9 Enrico Januarie, 8 Ernst Joubert, 7 Wikus van Heerden (captain), 6 Cobus Grobbelaar, 5 Willem Stoltz, 4 Trevor Hall, 3 Daniel Muller, 2 Lukas van Biljon, 1 Pietman van Niekerk.
Replacements: 16 Delarey du Preez, 17 Lawrence Sephaka, 18 KleinJan Tromp, 19 Gerhard Vosloo, 20 Jano Vermaak, 21 Doppies la Grange, 22 Wylie Human.

Chiefs: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Sosene Anesi, 13 Mark Ranby, 12 Sam Tuitupou, 11 Sitiveni Sivivatu, 10 Stephen Donald, 9 Jamie Nutbrown, 8 Sione Lauaki, 7 Marty Holah, 6 Steven Bates, 5 Bernie Upton, 4 Kristian Ormsby, 3 Deacon Manu, 2 Tom Willis (captain), 1 Simms Davison.
Replacements: 16 Aleki Lutui, 17 Ben Castle, 18 Jono Gibbes, 19 Liam Messam, 20 Byron Kelleher, 21 Loki Crichton, 22 Anthony Tahana.

Vodacom Bulls: 15 Johan Roets, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 JP Nel, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Derick Hougaard, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Jacques Cronjé, 7 Johan Wasserman, 6 Danie Rossouw, 5 Francois van Schouwenburg, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Danie Thiart, 2 Kobus van der Walt, 1 Jaco Engels.
Replacements: 16 Chilliboy Ralepelle, 17 Andries Human, 18 Pedrie Wannenburg, 19 Pierre Spies, 20 Heini Adams, 21 Morné Steyn, 22 Riaan van der Bergh

Vodacom Stormers: 15 Werner Greeff, 14 Jonghi Nokwe, 13 De Wet Barry (captain), 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Rayno Benjamin, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Bolla Conradie, 8 Adri Badenhorst, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Luke Watson, 5 Andries Bekker, 4 Ross Skeate, 3 Eddie Andrews, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 JD Moller.
Replacements: 16 Huia Edmonds/Hanyani Shimange, 17 Attie Winter, 18 Henk Eksteen, 19 David Hendricks, 20 Neil de Kock, 21 Naas Olivier, 22 Joe Petersen

From foxsports.com.au

Qld: Chris Latham ©, Henari Veratau, Julian Huxley, Elton Flatley, Drew Mitchell, Berrick Barnes, Sam Cordingley, Mitchell Chapman, David Croft, Hugh McMeniman, James Horwill, Mark Connors, Rodney Blake, Sean Hardman, Greg Holmes. Res: Tom Court, Stephen Moore, Cameron Treloar, Tom McVerry, Josh Valentine, Lloyd Johansson, Caleb Brown.

BRUMBIES: Adam Ashley-Cooper; Clyde Rathbone, Stirling Mortlock (captain), Matt Giteau, Mark Gerrard; Stephen Larkham, George Gregan; Jone Tawake, George Smith, Daniel Heenan; Mark Chisholm, Alister Campbell; Nic Henderson, David Palavi, Bill Young. Replacements: James McCormack, Guy Shepherdson, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Julian Salvi, Patrick Phibbs, Gene Fairbanks, Joel Wilson.

Originally posted by All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan@Feb 16 2006, 12:02 PM
1 John Schwalger
2 Andrew Hore
3 Neemia Tialata
4 Paul ***o
5 Jason Eaton
6 Jerry Collins
7 Chris Masoe
9 Piri Weepu
10 Jimmy Gopperth
11 Hosea Gear
12 Ma’a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Lome Fa’atau
15 Isaia Toeava
16 Luke Mahoney
17 Tim Fairbrother
18 Luke Andrews
19 Thomas Waldrom
20 Brendan Haami
21 Tamati Ellison
22 Tane Tu’ipulotu
thats good he's giving scwalger a start coz he's a good player, great potential. i reckon he maybe shud've started waldrom or had serge lilo on the bench.
good to see hosea gear in the line up and that mid field!!!! can't wait to see if ma'a and conrad can rip it up from the starting whistle. coz thats our midfield once umaga retires.
good luck to the force, their gonna need it!!!
GO THE CANES!!!!

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Feb 16 2006, 03:13 AM
Steve Larkhams 100th game for the brumbies , great achievement

I think the brumbies are gonna win this in a close one

Heres 7 reasons why:

SMITH
LARKHAM
GREGAN
GITEAU :cheers:
RATHBONE
MORTLOCK
GERRARD

this is gonna be a great game, match of the round for me

MOTM -Giteau ,he'll expose the bulls slow forwards(gaps galore)
Like last year our backs will dominate and with a brutal back row of heenan smith and tawake I think the brumbies will pull through in a close high scoring match with both teams scoring 4 tries.

my tip - Bull 28 - 31 Brumbies.

:bleh!:

Originally posted by All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan@Feb 16 2006, 12:02 PM
1 John Schwalger
2 Andrew Hore
3 Neemia Tialata
4 Paul ***o
5 Jason Eaton
6 Jerry Collins
7 Chris Masoe
9 Piri Weepu
10 Jimmy Gopperth
11 Hosea Gear
12 Ma’a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Lome Fa’atau
15 Isaia Toeava
16 Luke Mahoney
17 Tim Fairbrother
18 Luke Andrews
19 Thomas Waldrom
20 Brendan Haami
21 Tamati Ellison
22 Tane Tu’ipulotu
Is Umaga injured??

WESTERN FORCE

The squad is:
1. Gareth Hardy
2. Brendan Cannon
3. David Fitter
4. David Pusey
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Luke Doherty
7. Matt Hodgson
8. Tim Davidson
9. Matt Henjak
10. Brock James
11. Digby Ioane
12. Junior Pelesasa
13. Scott Staniforth
14. Cameron Shepherd

15. James Hilgendorf
16. Tai McIsaac
17. David Te Moana
18. John Welborn
19. Scott Fava
20. Chris O'Young
21. Scott Daruda
22. Haig Sare
23. Richard Brown

yeh umaga has a minor leg injury but look at his replacement hahaha...

this just means that the looseforwards and conrad smith will have to make more tackles now that all nonu is gonna do is use his energy on attack mode

go canes and blues

Now, let`s get back to rugby and let me make a short preview for the upcoming games in the round / week 2

Of course, i`ll start with SA teams (home games) Here we go

Sharks - Vrystaat Cheetahs (

Sharks, despite all their termoils, manage a great start vs Chiefs! Percy, what a form! Impressive. ! We, on the other hand, can`t afford another loss. It`s a tough call but my money goes , as always, on the team with a stronger pack and that`s us!

Cats - Chiefs

Both team lost in their opening games! You may smile but the weather is a crucial factor in this game. Cats game is all in the backward line, Chiefs the opposite! It`s the skop/skiet/donner rugby (Cats) vs running rugby (Chiefs). If it will be wet at Ellis, big chance for Chiefs! Nice weather - Cats to win! It happend in the previous game when Stormers (the only team in SA that does not play in the traditional style) won vs much bigger Cats players in a very wet Ellis Park last Sunday.

Bulls - Brumbies. Easy call, Bulls will get their 5 point. Brumbies suck badly in away games!

Stormers - Waratahs . Stormers to have the upper hand. Both teams won in the first round but with plenty of luck especially for Tahs! Also , Tahs coming in less than a week in SA is a disadvantage for their first game at least.

Moving to NZ encounters

Highlanders - Blues ! Huh, my money goes on Highlanders! Let me explain why. First of all , both teams lost their first game. Blues are having a shitty start for two seasons in a row. Highlanders game vs Crusaders (despite the score) was smth very intersting. Please remember the situations when they were almost there but due to some mistakes failed! They are playing in House of Plain - tough to win there ! Also, IMO Blues are not physically able to give 100% for the whole 80 minutes! In terms of front rows Blues may have an advantage but let`s keep in mind Otago has still Olivier and his in good shape.

Hurricanes - Western Force : easy call, can`t see any surprise here! Unfortunately Western Force has much to work in orther to be a team not just of bunch of players! Good luck for them, i`m very much found of WF

In `giant rats` land

Reds - Crusaders. Can here be a big surprise ? Possibly, don`t just write Reds off. Of course, from all points of view Crusaders are lookig better but Reds are capabile of some miracles! Just wait and see! If you like to risk some money, bet on the Reds! You might win !

Latest posts