• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15 a step closer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 6 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ALICE SPRINGS.. hahahahahaha......hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha[/b]

and they get to play against broken hill, broome and kalgoorlie ;) haha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Mar 6 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 6 2009, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read somewhere that the Eastern Cape team would be exclusively black... maybe not even any coloureds. SARU going mad again...

Anyway here's what I'd do:

1. SA conference
Stormers
Cheetahs
Lions
Bulls
Sharks
Eastern Cape team

2. NZ conference
Chiefs
Hurricanes
Blues
Highlanders
Crusaders
another NZ team (Auckland wanted 2 no?)

3. Aus conference
Brumbies
Force
Reds
Waratahs
new team in Melbourne
new team elsewhere (Darwin/ Alice Springs)/ an Abo team like the RL dreamtime

4. Pacific conference
Argentine team
Argentine
Japanese
Samoan
Tongan
Fijian

Top of each conference goes through; 4 more places to the best losers (which would probs get round the problem of 2 pacific teams in the knockout stage)

semi-final

final.

Ie. make it a bit more like the Heineken cup. Each side has a minimum 10 games per season, maximum of 13, so then they have plenty of time to get on with their domestic comps.[/b]

Are you stoned?
[/b][/quote]

no, just idealistic.

also, i just checked the pop. of alice springs on wikipedia and it won't fill up a stadium... so obv. not there. but it would be nice to get more abos involved in union no?

It would be madness to have another South African side, their are two whipping boys and three good sides, plus it would stretch the amount of quality players even further and just hinder the SA sides overall. Another Aussie side would be a good idea, although im not sure where it could be based.

Bring back the Cats

I found these quotes interesting from other articles on the same topic:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"It is imperative that we learn the lessons of some of the mistakes which were made when the Western Force was created," (John) O'Neill said. "There was a bit of gay abandon in the ways players were recruited for the Force. We would also be very careful that the existing four Australian franchises are not diminished in any way."[/b]
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-1...sies-fifth-team
O'Neill said a decision on the location of the new franchise — which he suggested could be a "hybrid team" that would include Pacific Islanders, Australian expats and rugby league converts — would need to be made before the end of this year.[/b]
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/20...-for-Super-team

If O'Neill doesn't want to diminish the other franchises, he'll build the new franchise with scraps from the other Aussie teams, returning players from Europe and league converts. If the team is in Melbourne, I think O'Neill will pull out all the stops to try bring in Storm players as a way of putting "one up" on the NRL. The name recognition of these players allied with the fact that they're already based in the city where the new franchise will be placed means they'll be targeted. How big a coup would it be for the ARU (and thus a blow for the NRL) if they could add Greg Inglis and Billy Slater (for example) to the new Victoria franchise's ranks? Bring in a returning Melbourne born Rocky Elsom as team figurehead and they could begin to make headway.

I applaud whoever is pushing through the 3 conference system. It increases matches between "local" rivals which can be money spinning affairs, decreases the travel burden on South Africa (in that a lower percentage of their games will be a distance away thus losing a string of games in Australasia wont hurt as much) and more than likely opens the Super 15 up more players from countries outside Sanzar. Now bring Argentina into the new Quad Nations and I'll give these negotiations two thumbs up.

A fifth Australian franchise will come down to Melbourne and the Gold Coast. They will have to be very careful in the way they regulate it, because losing 5 players from every current team would be devastating.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 6 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
but it would be nice to get more abos involved in union no?[/b]

Post amended,

moderator faatau82 says: These terms are deemed racist, so i am removing them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 7 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Mar 7 2009, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 6 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

REMOVED

No?
[/b][/quote]

Please. grow up.
[/b][/quote]

"The ironing is delicious".

I'm yet to meet an Aboriginal person who would appreciate being called an 'abo'.

I agree.

Please refrain from this Ginga...you don't seem to be able to grasp the issue we have here.

Then again, i feel pitty for you. Ginger hair...HA...Alice Springs for a team?! HAHA. etc, etc.

This Glenmorangie does wonders...

Racism is ghey.

I don't know, I mean I think it'd be good to have a team that involved some Argentinean players, maybe a few USA and Japanese players too, I mean it'd make up for all the PI's the Super 14 franchises are pinching. I mean, I'm sure there are some young guys that don't make cut for Super 14 franchise and might be half decent in whichever country it's in. Introducing more nationalities into the Super 14 could be some sort of Northern Hemisphere vs Southern Hemisphere coming to a head at the world cup, it'd be like a world cup. I mean not to say that countries that don't have many players that are professional are at a disadvantage but I'm sure in doing this it'd make it a bit more of a level playing ground for more teams.

I mean in football you see guys from all corners of the world plying there trade at (arguably) the top flight of the sport at club level, and if moderated properly it could benefit rugby as a whole.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Mar 7 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 7 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Mar 7 2009, 05:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 6 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

REMOVED

No?
[/b][/quote]

Please. grow up.
[/b][/quote]

I'm yet to meet an Aboriginal person who would appreciate being called an 'abo'.
[/b][/quote]

Ok, so I'm suggesting a team which would aid the advancement of union amongst indigenous australians, who for whatever reasons (I'm not getting into that debate) have yet to make an impact on union (as opposed to league and aussie rules).

You then pull me up for using a non-pc term.

Make your own mind up how relevant your pedantry is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 7 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Mar 7 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 7 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

REMOVED

No?
[/b][/quote]

Please. grow up.
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Ok, so I'm suggesting a team which would aid the advancement of union amongst indigenous australians, who for whatever reasons (I'm not getting into that debate) have yet to make an impact on union (as opposed to league and aussie rules).

You then pull me up for using a non-pc term.

Make your own mind up how relevant your pedantry is.
[/b][/quote]

I don't think you quite get it.

Feel free suggest a team which would advance union amongst indigenous Australians... but maybe try do so without using terms like 'abo', 'coon', 'darkie' etc?

And I'm disappointed with the moderator for their lack of humour.

Continue on...

To give you non-australians an idea on the population of cities of Australia:

1 Sydney, NSW 4,336,374 Waratahs - League dominated area with Union as the second sport
2 Melbourne, Vic 3,806,092 None - AFL dominated area
3 Brisbane, Qld 1,857,594 Reds - League dominated area with Union as the second sport
4 Perth, WA 1,554,769 Force - AFL dominated area with Union as second sport
5 Adelaide, SA 1,158,259 None - AFL dominated area
6 Gold Coast, Qld 583,657 None - League dominated area
7 Newcastle, NSW 523,662 None - League dominated area
8 Canberra, ACT 388,072 Brumbies - Union dominated area with League as second sport

Just by looking at the populations you can easily tell that Melbourne is the logical choice for the next team. Melbourne loves their sport, the AFL side the collingwood magpies averaged 60k average attendance in 2008. After Melbourne i think Sydney should get a second team and some decades down the track adelaide should get a team.

Check out the link for average crowds for all Australian football codes for last year, its an interesting read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Australi...all_code_crowds

Melbourne does love their sport, however players do not pop out instantly. You would need 3-5 years for rugby union to be taken seriously/knowing what it is. By then a few juniors would play and a 10 year wait until any decent players come from Melbourne.

I personally don't think Australia has the depth to fufill those 10-15 years of no real rugby players coming out of Melbourne. The only reason the Force have not been steamrolled is they poached 1/2 of the up and coming Australia players. Now those players are returning home and we are seeing and will see the effects of that in the next couple of years.

I personally think we should pick another place. I don't really know one, perhaps a combined Pacific Island team. But I know that Australia do not have the rugby players to give to a new club, I think the second one within 5 years. If the Australians insist on a new club, I really beleive you should wait until there are plenty of up-and-cumming players to chuck around, right now the Force has bled Australia dry.

Oh yeah 'gho', that article is a good read, its amazing how serious AFL is. Like 40,000 people for every match.

You're right about the players, but rugby union is never going to get very far if we dont expand the visible professional teams. They act like massive advertisements for rugby union grass roots development. Until then i think that each Australian team should have 4-5 pacific islanders/japanese playing for us. It benefits both parties, the pacific islanders and the japanese players get world class training practices, the australian teams get some exciting players (the fans and the media love foreign players, look at how everyone loves that brazilian guy playing for adelaide united soccer team)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion...rugby-challenge

Sanzar facing big Super rugby challenge
By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE

Sanzar needs to come up with some imagination as it seeks to add a new team to a Super 15 rugby championship â€" but don't hold your breath. News out of a Sanzar meeting in Dubai that the governing body which runs the three-way rugby collective between New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are pushing on with expansion plans should be greeted with guarded optimism at best.

The organisation doesn't exactly have a marvellous track record.

The admittance that they were pushing forward with plans from a meeting in Perth last year is a concern in itself.

That same meeting in July had agreed in principle to expanding a playoffs system for this year's Super 14. But by October they had abandoned those plans simply because they couldn't agree on a formula.

The trouble with Sanzar is that, like many things in life, operating in a three-way system isn't always easy.

Sanzar rules dictate that it's all or nothing. Any decision must be unanimous. A majority 2-1 verdict doesn't wash.

And there is a lot of self-interest here.

Australia needs more rugby because unlike their partners they have little or no domestic product outside of club footy. South Africa and New Zealand already have a saturation.

But all three need a top line product with a bit more zip to it.

The last alteration was to expand from 12 teams to 14. Despite suggestions then of looking outside the square the two new sides came from Australia and South Africa.

With South Africa and New Zealand having five teams compared to Australia's four in the current situation you can bet that the Aussies will be pushing to even the numbers up ... 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 after all.

The word out of Dubai is that Sanzar, as is their right, will consider their own options before they consider calling in a team from Asia, the Pacific or the Americas.

That's fair enough. It's their product and it's been doing fairly nicely for a fair while.

But you can't help feeling that Super rugby and this whole Sanzar thing stands at the crossroads right now.

It's a grand chance to be, well, grand. That means thinking outside the square a little.

As has been proven by the New Zealand and South African models, the depth really isn't there to have five teams per country and Australia certainly appears to be lacking in that vital ingredient.

The Aussies are desperate to get a foot in the big Melbourne market where league has successfully infiltrated AFL territory to establish the ***le winning Melbourne NRL franchise.

But Australia have made no secret of also wanting to grow a relationship with Asia and for the betterment of Sanzar, this looks to be an area to investigate.

There will be many theories thrown around in the next week or two as everyone offers a thought or two on this intriguing decision.

How about basing a side in Asia, make it a hybrid side that includes some Australians, even Kiwis and South Africans. Let them help the locals get themselves established at this level?

The same could be said of the United States.

Both these areas offer a vital ingredient which is money. It's an advantage they have over the Pacific Islands and in these tough times it will be something that Sanzar must ruthlessly consider.

Sanzar needs to learn from its last expansion move that more isn't always better, especially when it's more of the same.

Talk of conferences and expanded finals systems is well and good but the fans are crying for something out of the ordinary here, something that will add to the product.

It's a challenge. Is it a challenge too far?[/b]
I'm not sure the USA and Japan are viable options just yet. Neither have the playing numbers to sustain a decent team (granted there would be a ton of overseas players packing out the rosters) and travel would be a huge problem.

I think the best solution is for the 15th team to be based in Australia and, so as not to dilute the already sparse talent too much, allowing each Aussie franchise around 6 foreign players per match day 22 (that'll still leave 80 Aussies competing on matchday). Admit Argentina to an expanded 4 Nations with each team playing each other twice instead of three times as is presently the case to avoid supporter apathy and player burnout. If participating countries want to boost their coffers and also prime Hong Kong, Japan or the USA for future expansion, exhibition games like last years match in Hong Kong and this years Bledisloe Cup Tokyo test can be added to the schedule outside of the 4 Nations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 9 2009, 03:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion...rugby-challenge

Sanzar facing big Super rugby challenge
By DUNCAN JOHNSTONE

Sanzar needs to come up with some imagination as it seeks to add a new team to a Super 15 rugby championship â€" but don't hold your breath. News out of a Sanzar meeting in Dubai that the governing body which runs the three-way rugby collective between New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are pushing on with expansion plans should be greeted with guarded optimism at best.

The organisation doesn't exactly have a marvellous track record.

The admittance that they were pushing forward with plans from a meeting in Perth last year is a concern in itself.

That same meeting in July had agreed in principle to expanding a playoffs system for this year's Super 14. But by October they had abandoned those plans simply because they couldn't agree on a formula.

The trouble with Sanzar is that, like many things in life, operating in a three-way system isn't always easy.

Sanzar rules dictate that it's all or nothing. Any decision must be unanimous. A majority 2-1 verdict doesn't wash.

And there is a lot of self-interest here.

Australia needs more rugby because unlike their partners they have little or no domestic product outside of club footy. South Africa and New Zealand already have a saturation.

But all three need a top line product with a bit more zip to it.

The last alteration was to expand from 12 teams to 14. Despite suggestions then of looking outside the square the two new sides came from Australia and South Africa.

With South Africa and New Zealand having five teams compared to Australia's four in the current situation you can bet that the Aussies will be pushing to even the numbers up ... 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 after all.

The word out of Dubai is that Sanzar, as is their right, will consider their own options before they consider calling in a team from Asia, the Pacific or the Americas.

That's fair enough. It's their product and it's been doing fairly nicely for a fair while.

But you can't help feeling that Super rugby and this whole Sanzar thing stands at the crossroads right now.

It's a grand chance to be, well, grand. That means thinking outside the square a little.

As has been proven by the New Zealand and South African models, the depth really isn't there to have five teams per country and Australia certainly appears to be lacking in that vital ingredient.

The Aussies are desperate to get a foot in the big Melbourne market where league has successfully infiltrated AFL territory to establish the ***le winning Melbourne NRL franchise.

But Australia have made no secret of also wanting to grow a relationship with Asia and for the betterment of Sanzar, this looks to be an area to investigate.

There will be many theories thrown around in the next week or two as everyone offers a thought or two on this intriguing decision.

How about basing a side in Asia, make it a hybrid side that includes some Australians, even Kiwis and South Africans. Let them help the locals get themselves established at this level?

The same could be said of the United States.

Both these areas offer a vital ingredient which is money. It's an advantage they have over the Pacific Islands and in these tough times it will be something that Sanzar must ruthlessly consider.

Sanzar needs to learn from its last expansion move that more isn't always better, especially when it's more of the same.

Talk of conferences and expanded finals systems is well and good but the fans are crying for something out of the ordinary here, something that will add to the product.

It's a challenge. Is it a challenge too far?[/b]
I'm not sure the USA and Japan are viable options just yet. Neither have the playing numbers to sustain a decent team (granted there would be a ton of overseas players packing out the rosters) and travel would be a huge problem.

I think the best solution is for the 15th team to be based in Australia and, so as not to dilute the already sparse talent too much, allowing each Aussie franchise around 6 foreign players per match day 22 (that'll still leave 80 Aussies competing on matchday). Admit Argentina to an expanded 4 Nations with each team playing each other twice instead of three times as is presently the case to avoid supporter apathy and player burnout. If participating countries want to boost their coffers and also prime Hong Kong, Japan or the USA for future expansion, exhibition games like last years match in Hong Kong and this years Bledisloe Cup Tokyo test can be added to the schedule outside of the 4 Nations.
[/b][/quote]
Mate I believe you are right on the money. That's what needs to happen. And the 5th franchise should be based in Melbourne, they are currently building a 30,000 rectangle stadium which should be awesome for the fans. Allowing more imports will not hinder the growth of Australian rugby, and in 5-10 years down the track when Melbourne and Perth are developing local talent the ARU can look at cutting back on foreign players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tommowins @ Mar 8 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Melbourne does love their sport, however players do not pop out instantly. You would need 3-5 years for rugby union to be taken seriously/knowing what it is. By then a few juniors would play and a 10 year wait until any decent players come from Melbourne.

I personally don't think Australia has the depth to fufill those 10-15 years of no real rugby players coming out of Melbourne. The only reason the Force have not been steamrolled is they poached 1/2 of the up and coming Australia players. Now those players are returning home and we are seeing and will see the effects of that in the next couple of years.[/b]

I agree, Melbourne's rugby quality is very low at the moment.

I have a cousin from Auckland who was in the reserves for Kelston's 3rd XV then one year later he could barely make the 22 squad for Suburbs Under19s, then the following year he is starting for the top grade side at his club in Melb, and was even included in the VIC squad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tommowins @ Mar 8 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh yeah 'gho', that article is a good read, its amazing how serious AFL is. Like 40,000 people for every match.[/b]

I wouldnt go that far.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gho @ Mar 8 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the australian teams get some exciting players (the fans and the media love foreign players, look at how everyone loves that brazilian guy playing for adelaide united soccer team)[/b]

Overpaid twat fans never probably turned up again those who were attracted by him.

South Africa does not need a team it already has two "provinces" that are inadequate as i think Hugh Blaydon (i think thats how its spelt) said that South Africa should only have 3 teams and NOT six please we dont need another team that will be whipping boys.

New Zealand doesnt need another teams surely the teams now are adequate and that any new teams would just be cannabalising another team and fan base.

Infact i cant see any compelling argument for super 15/16/17/2000 whatever the amount of teams now are fine and really should be IMO about 12 teams.

I would love to see a team in Adelaide but thats just the parocial south aussie being let out of the cage. :)

Before 1996, we had a competition called the Super 10 which featured sanzar teams and also a pacific nation representative. It was developing into what we now call the Super14, and previously called the Super12. I think it's reached it's right amount of teams. Obviously, once apartheid finished and the game went pro, the South African teams joined and the pacific qualifier was dropped.. hence 12 teams.

I think that you can't really expand the Super14 itself, but you can expand it's divisions. Otherwise you risk watering down the top level and getting games like Crusaders 50-0 Samoa XV.

Currie Cup has 2 divisions, Super Rugby could do the same.. with a 2nd tier made up of franchises from Japan, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, Argentina and the USA/Canada. The players can come from the highest level of regional competition, i.e TOP League, Super League, PRC and Argentina's top league.

Also, the new Australian franchise can earn it's stripes here. You can't give another region to a country that has no recognised national championship, because it went bust.. even if it is Australia and expect it compete any better than Western Force do.

You will find that pacific rugby was strongest when it's players was regionally-based. Now the game is professional in these nations, this would be an ideal outlet for their talent they are showcasing in the PRC.. and it would help pacific player tick two of their boxes.. playing a decent level closer to home for decent money and being able to be capped regularly. This would help the national teams develop too.

If the division is affiliated to Super Rugby it will add some much needed sponsorship and some extra dimension to the actual Super14. You could have a draft pick from the expansion teams, or equally have them affiliated to an Super 14 club. Rather like cricket has it's IPL, but without the auction.

I mean, Todd Clever plays for Lions and a Sireli Naquelevuki plays for Stormers.. it's not a bad thing if you have 2 foreigners per team, as long as they are competing for places. I think we all agree we want a more global game with a real challenge outside of the top 8 teams in the world.

Latest posts