• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super League 2008 official thread

S

St Helens RLFC

Time to get this started I feel, with the players back in pre-season training already. Can Leeds retain their ***le? Can Saints get it back? Can Wigan go a season without breaking the salary cap? Will Castleford retain their place in the Super League? Will the relegated team get a franchise? Who will get the rumoured additional 2 spots?

We'll find out, and we'll find out in here.

To answer your questions

1.Leeds can if they keep on going what they did last season.
2.Thats a tough one.......they sound like they are getting older and need a rejuvenation tough times ahead for saints fans i fear.
3.Yes you bloody hope so
4. I hope so after injustice dealt out to them in getting relegated
5.I think they should one bad season shouldnt doom a club to never being in the league again
6. Celtic Crusaders and maybe the champion of league one?

Time to get this started I feel, with the players back in pre-season training already. Can Leeds retain their ***le? Can Saints get it back? Can Wigan go a season without breaking the salary cap? Will Castleford retain their place in the Super League? Will the relegated team get a franchise? Who will get the rumoured additional 2 spots?

We'll find out, and we'll find out in here.
[/b]

1. No.
2. Possibly.
3. Yes. I expect Wigan to be run more professionally with the new setup.
4. I think Cas will struggle.
5. Yes.
6. Salford & Celtic Crusaders.

These "2 rumoured spots" surely they're not coming into play this season, are they?

It'll be next season, won't it?

Plus, who's the southern hemisphere team that's gonna be playing for the champions of hte world shenanigans?

It's coming in from 2009 so you're quite right, it's next season. As for the World Club Challenge, it will be Leeds vs. Melbourne Storm.

To answer your questions one by one...

Can Leeds retain their ***le?
They'd be my favourites.

Can Saints get it back?
So no.

Can Wigan go a season without breaking the salary cap?
Possibly, this year, yes. I'd love to see Hull KR's figures this year though.

Will Castleford retain their place in the Super League?
Can't see it, to be honest. It'd take a very, very bad run of form from somebody like Les Catalans.

Will the relegated team get a franchise?

If it's Les Cats, yes. If it's Castleford...it remains possible, but I can see the expansionism agenda killing that one off.

Who will get the rumoured additional 2 spots?

In my opinion, Celtic Crusaders and as I feel the league will continue to go for expansionism, a second French side.

Another question or two though: Will Warrington finally 'click' this year with their new acquisitions, and have Huddersfield upset their squad too much with the ins and outs?

What you might find with both teams, especially Huddersfield, is that they have slow starts but will improve continuously as the season goes on. Look at Shudds last season for example - awful start but finished the season strongly enough and reached the playoffs when it looked like they were going to get relegated.

Warrington probably can't afford a slow start though. On paper I think they have the makings of a top 3 team, but I maintain they won't win anything with Mayor Quimby as coach. He is very good at getting average results from a good squad of players.

I would also like to see Hull KR's paperwork next season, btw.

rematch of the grand final next year i think....i feel they will both be at wembly for the CC cup final also....

hoepfully quins can do some damage this year

Hello everyone. Where do you think les Catalans will finish this term? Unluckily I see we will struggle with no Stacey Jones but I still have hope.

Hello everyone. Where do you think les Catalans will finish this term? Unluckily I see we will struggle with no Stacey Jones but I still have hope. [/b]

Does not really matter now. Les Cats are guaranteed a franchise place anyway. Still think we need promotion and relegation.

Hello everyone. Where do you think les Catalans will finish this term? Unluckily I see we will struggle with no Stacey Jones but I still have hope.
[/b]

10th place above Castleford and Harlequins I reckon.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I do hope so :D

In my opinion, Celtic Crusaders and as I feel the league will continue to go for expansionism, a second French side.
[/b]

Where would they get the talent to mount a decent team that wouldnt be the whipping boys?.I fail to see how it could happen.However the league is called the European Super League and it should start to reflect that.

<div class='quotemain'> Hello everyone. Where do you think les Catalans will finish this term? Unluckily I see we will struggle with no Stacey Jones but I still have hope. [/b]

Does not really matter now. Les Cats are guaranteed a franchise place anyway. Still think we need promotion and relegation.

[/b][/quote]

I think Les Catalans wont throw this season away after last season.Castleford and Les Catalans is two teams i want to see do well.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Dont be silly we need southern teams if we are going to shake the tag of rugby league of being a "northerners" game.Granted thats where its roots are but we need a league that has teams all over engerland and europe for that matter. (the latter might be a bit difficult but the former i dont think will be hard).

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Where would they get the talent to mount a decent team that wouldnt be the whipping boys?.I fail to see how it could happen.However the league is called the European Super League and it should start to reflect that.

<div class='quotemain'> Hello everyone. Where do you think les Catalans will finish this term? Unluckily I see we will struggle with no Stacey Jones but I still have hope. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

I think Les Catalans wont throw this season away after last season.Castleford and Les Catalans is two teams i want to see do well.

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Dont be silly we need southern teams if we are going to shake the tag of rugby league of being a "northerners" game.Granted thats where its roots are but we need a league that has teams all over engerland and europe for that matter. (the latter might be a bit difficult but the former i dont think will be hard).
[/b][/quote]

Quims will get a franchise regardless of where they finish.
They've recruited poorly this time around and I can see them beginning to really struggle as the season goes on and injuries start to have an effect.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Don't suppose you have heard of Kent Invicta/Southend Invicta then :bleh!:

Just finished getting around to watch the Saints v rhinos game.
What a load of shite that referee was. He made a LOT of bad calls!
We needed all the help we could get in that game, yet he made some absolute shockers...

Crikey, i've just noticed how good Leeds are defending this year. Impressive stuff.

What happened to us against Castleford?!
I know nothing about the matches until i watch balls n all - someone fill me in on how we lost against those-at-number-12!

Latest posts