• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2023)

333227331_743790454086434_5851965098232236788_n.jpg

Awesome! đź‘Š
jLxqdTCr-I57DGbAA.png

Last edited:
That was poor by highlanders. Compared to a blues team that looks well oiled already.

Ahh gutted for moana pacifika, showed that fatigue affects attack too. Drua defended well late in the game
Sorry I missed this thread. I would have thought SR would be the least impacted by the rule changes, but as you point out it blunts attacks as well as weakening defence. The other change I forgot to mention in the other thread is a substantial raising of the threshold for disruption to the game for TMOs, so it seems nothing marginal will be brought up and there will be a lot less disruption. I've been noticing that in the 6N but it is too early to tell if it is just a coincidence.

In terms of SR I'd imagine it would play into the hands of lighter, fitter players- such as DMac. But who knows. The big Crusaders may have been short of gas but the Brumbies are the most physical Aussie side historically and it didn't hurt them. Some big brained coach that adapts quickly to the rules could have unusual success this year (including at the RWC).

Good to see there will be Trans Tasman action from the outset rather than keeping the Aussies isolated in the kiddies pool until half way through the season. It risks dampening Australian enthusiasm if they start getting a run of losses, but it will make any success their top teams have more genuine and make for more varied weekly schedules.

That was poor by highlanders. Compared to a blues team that looks well oiled already.
On pure playing talent I think the Blues are the best team In the comp. I don't think the Crusaders' strength in depth is as strong as in previous years. It's whether the Blues have learnt how to play pressure rugby when it gets to play-off time. I've got a feeling that it could be a Blues/Chiefs final this year which is a brave call but that's my gut instinct.

On pure playing talent I think the Blues are the best team In the comp. I don't think the Crusaders' strength in depth is as strong as in previous years. It's whether the Blues have learnt how to play pressure rugby when it gets to play-off time. I've got a feeling that it could be a Blues/Chiefs final this year which is a brave call but that's my gut instinct.
Well I don't know if I agree. But both squads are strong.

The blues probably have more depth in the backs, although considering the crusaders 23 didn't include jordan or fihaki that's debatable. Willi Heinz, the reserve halfback, is looking better than Christie, the starting halfback for the blues too. I had been thinking, and the highlanders provided evidence of this, that teams will likely have cottoned onto Christie being one of the worst halfbacks around at clearing from the ruck when there is ruck pressure.

The crusaders depth in the forwards is obviously better than the blues imo. You would have seen the Highlanders scrum dominate the blues. The crusaders on the other hand is very strong and they have more options not in the 23. Elsewhere in the forward they have strong players not in the 23 too. Forwards not in the 23, for example, bell, Brewis, Gardner, havili talitui, jager, strange, whitelock.

Even though no doubt there was bias in the all blacks XV selection, the crusaders players that were selected are still very good even though not as good as such selection suggests.

The team with the most underrated player base is the hurricanes. The likes of Delaney, sangster, Flanders, mafileo, proctor don't get the credit they deserve. But you don't win comps without a strong 9-10 axis. They are improving in that area but not as strong as many other teams at the moment.

Last edited:
Did Burns get on for the Highlanders? I see they got a bit of a spanking by the Blues

I think the Blues/Brumbies game next weekend will be intriguing. The Brumbies are the best of the Aussie teams and their set-piece is always excellent. Don't think the Blues will get such an easy ride In that one. Pleased that the Canes managed to get up against the Reds, it makes a change from starting the season on the back foot like we've always done in the last 3/4 years.

Sorry I missed this thread. I would have thought SR would be the least impacted by the rule changes, but as you point out it blunts attacks as well as weakening defence. The other change I forgot to mention in the other thread is a substantial raising of the threshold for disruption to the game for TMOs, so it seems nothing marginal will be brought up and there will be a lot less disruption. I've been noticing that in the 6N but it is too early to tell if it is just a coincidence.

In terms of SR I'd imagine it would play into the hands of lighter, fitter players- such as DMac. But who knows. The big Crusaders may have been short of gas but the Brumbies are the most physical Aussie side historically and it didn't hurt them. Some big brained coach that adapts quickly to the rules could have unusual success this year (including at the RWC).

Good to see there will be Trans Tasman action from the outset rather than keeping the Aussies isolated in the kiddies pool until half way through the season. It risks dampening Australian enthusiasm if they start getting a run of losses, but it will make any success their top teams have more genuine and make for more varied weekly schedules.
There are additional changes to the officiating In Super rugby compared to the six nations, and perhaps the changes that are similar are listed strict in super rugby. In super rugby the refs keep telling players how much time they have to set a scrum, form a lineout, take a kick, etc. then they have , for foul play, once they know it's at least a yellow they will send the player off and the tmo will have 8 minutes, while the game continues, to determine whether to upgrade to a red.

Did Burns get on for the Highlanders? I see they got a bit of a spanking by the Blues
I felt embarrassed for New Zealand. I imagine he would have been shocked at how crap his team is. How things have changed. Players in the premiership seem to have a better sense of space and opportunities, better skill to execute, pass, draw and pass, decide whether to skip pass or not, when to straighten, or grubber, things that used to be intuitive to every New Zealand player but seemingly not anymore, and things that the English weren't always so great at. On the other hand the blues were good at those things last night.

I think the Blues/Brumbies game next weekend will be intriguing. The Brumbies are the best of the Aussie teams and their set-piece is always excellent. Don't think the Blues will get such an easy ride In that one. Pleased that the Canes managed to get up against the Reds, it makes a change from starting the season on the back foot like we've always done in the last 3/4 years.
Yeah, I was pretty confident in the canes for that game, made some pretty good money on the tab too. The officiating changes will suit us with our strong bench options in the pack and natural ability of our players when the game gets unstructured. With Wellington coming off a good npc, then adding in the Hawkes bay boys and all blacks who are seasoned campaigners by now, we are well set to start the season strongly.

In other thread...
Pasifik v Drua was a good watch, shame about the attendance, looked practically empty
Yeah nobody cares about rugby, especially after samoa made the semifinals in the league World Cup, and Tonga the World Cup before. Still see samoa flags on cars every day in Wellington, must be more so in league city - Auckland .

In other thread...

Yeah nobody cares about rugby, especially after samoa made the semifinals in the league World Cup, and Tonga the World Cup before. Still see samoa flags on cars every day in Wellington, must be more so in league city - Auckland .
When are they looking to move the team back to Samoa/Tonga?

When are they looking to move the team back to Samoa/Tonga?
Well, it's an odd one. I heard them say in commentary there is going to be a game in samoa. But I can't see them moving their base any time soon. This team I believe has to be made up of New Zealand based players, contracted to NZ Rugby. Only kepu and lealiifano moved to NZ for this team, I believe, and kepu already has most of his family here.

At the moment it still pretty much New Zealanders of pacific island heritage that can't make other NZ super rugby sides, or can't get starting roles in other NZ super rugby sides. In the future, as contracts come up for renewal for players in other sides, it's possible you might see some better players, and then people might start watching. But it's probably expensive to go to the game and the cost of living is ridiculously high right now so many people probably can't afford it, especially if they have big families.

that was gutting to watch, on paper i actually didn't think the Highlanders were going to be that far off the other NZ team, blues still clear favorites but that was actually one of the better teams we've fielded in the last few years...on paper at least

Losing nareki before the game and MMT after 3mins was a bad start....PPP had a huge one though, pretty much single handedly counter rucked, was beautiful

so much comes down to Fakatava trying to do too much and hunt just looking lost, we seem incapable of putting out outside backs in space

I very foolishly got my hopes up this year......now very much not looking forward to going to see them play the crusaders this friday

also....im very worried about the RWC.....I very much doubt what the blues did on sat will fly against NH teams, how many of their tries were from range after a turn over...we just cant bank on being able to do that and ignore having to actually graft out way upfield and score through possession...BB need to stop kicking after two phases without a break

also....im very worried about the RWC.....I very much doubt what the blues did on sat will fly against NH teams, how many of their tries were from range after a turn over...we just cant bank on being able to do that and ignore having to actually graft out way upfield and score through possession...BB need to stop kicking after two phases without a break
Yeah the highlanders were poor.

The point about needing to grind out wins is so valid here. I was thinking about doing a team of the week and honestly couldn't work out if any of the blues forwards played well. They didn't need to

Edit: made a team with some help.

Was going to do a NZ super rugby team of the week but didn't watch closely enough to make calls on some positions, so I'll just miss those positions out

De groot
Aumua
Lomax
Retallick
PPP
flanders
Papalii
Savea
Weber
Mckenzie
Stevenson
Jordie
Proctor
Telea
Moorby

There were quite a few contenders for loosehead prop that deserve a shout out - moody, bower, mafileo.

Ainsley deserves a shout out.

Rieko too.

Last edited:
yeah, Ainsley's scrummaging was great to watch, he really showed up Tuungafasi and Eklund, i would also add PPP into you team of the week if no one else stood out

Papalii was pretty impressive on defence, something like 21 tackles and 1 missed, Sotutu also did some good running in the first half

Latest posts