• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Pacific (2023)

yeah, Ainsley's scrummaging was great to watch, he really showed up Tuungafasi and Eklund, i would also add PPP into you team of the week if no one else stood out

Papalii was pretty impressive on defence, something like 21 tackles and 1 missed, Sotutu also did some good running in the first half
Was close to putting PPP and papalii in already so will def add then now. Thinking I'll go Flanders at 6

Round 2 Predictions?
Crusaders v Highlanders
Rebels v Hurricanes
Moana Pasifika v Chiefs
Fijian Drua v Waratahs
Blues v Brumbies
Western Force v Reds

All games in Melbourne (Super Round)

My Picks:
Crusaders (1-12)
Hurricanes (13+)
Chiefs (13+)
Waratahs (1-12)
Blues (1-12)
Reds (1-12)

I think the Crusaders/Highlanders game will be closer than everyone thinks. Regardless of how they are playing, Landers always raise their game against the Red and Blacks. Looking forward to seeing how the Blues do against a very structured team this week. Canes and Chiefs will post good wins again. Waratahs/Drua could be like a game of basketball whereas I think Reds/Force will be a tight grind.

jesus christ...MMT and Nareki out for 4-7 weeks....with very little exaggeration that is our season gone within 3 mins of the first game

Didn't Nareki spend all of last season out as well? Poor guy can't catch a break.

Wasn't too long ago that he looked like he could push for an ABs spot.

jesus christ...MMT and Nareki out for 4-7 weeks....with very little exaggeration that is our season gone within 3 mins of the first game
Man, the highlanders need these guys bad. You never know, you might be able to push for eighth then hope for a few good playoff performances, but seems unlikely based on the round one performance.

Man, the highlanders need these guys bad. You never know, you might be able to push for eighth then hope for a few good playoff performances, but seems unlikely based on the round one performance.
Highlanders look properly shite but... top 8 in 12 is so achievable. Particularly when you factor in the fact 5 of those are Australian (only 1 of which will be competitive).

I reckon they'll come good in the second half of the season and that will be enough.

Looking at the team they've picked, the Highlanders have basically thrown in the towel against the Crusaders. It's going to be a spanking I'm afraid. I think I'll update my 1-12 prediction to 13+!.

yep...we've flagged this one...but the reality is with the comp so small and compulsory rest for AB's...teams like our that just dont have the depth are always on a back foot.....i thought our season was gone after 3min of the first game...odds not getting any better now

I'm going to the game but really not looking forward to it...Mrs Womble is from Christchurch too...so.....i'll be drunk

Hurricanes looking good, Blues looking like early favourites. Murphy's law says they'll both choke and let Crusaders win it again.

Drua over Waratahs
jLxqdTCr-I57DGbAA.png

I'm biased & hopeful.

Thoughts on Savea's incident? He should get a couple of months ban, at least. He won't, but it'd be interesting to see the mental gymnastics some of his countrymen will resort to to justify his actions.

Thoughts on Savea's incident? He should get a couple of months ban, at least. He won't, but it'd be interesting to see the mental gymnastics some of his countrymen will resort to to justify his actions.
I think that what a lot of people are missing is that regardless of the gesture itself, the card should have been upgraded to red since he continued to instigate even after the punishment had been dished out.

Showed a complete lack of respect for the ref. Just shut up and get off the pitch.

I agree with the second part, 100%, not sure about the first part tho. What he did, first part alone, is a whisker away from a life time ban in my book. I mean, if most rugby supporters were happy never to see Foulau wear a rugby union jersey again, well, i'm curious what they'll think the punishment for threatening to kill someone in front of ref and spectators should be.

I'm sure there'll be some 'context' to downgrade his actions. A heartfelt apology of sorts followed by a 'but', 'shouldnt have' and 'heat of the moment' a pro forma for these sort of things.

To be fair, i'd be furious if i were in Ardie's shoes. I mean, all those resources gone onto kiwi invisibility cloaks that dont work when it matters? Livid i tell ya.

A couple of months ban for that 😀😀, do me a favour. He didn't end someone's season with an intentional cheap shot. It wasn't the cleverest thing to do and he should have got an upgraded punishment for not getting off the pitch quicker but people are making way too much of it. It's a 1 or 2 game ban at most IMO.

He didn't end someone's season with an intentional cheap shot.
Neither did Folau.
Apparently, who knew!, the messages a player sends, verbal, non-verbal and written, matter. Not that i like it. Personally, i agree with you in the fact that no word other than a direct and undeniable threat to do physical harm should NOT be at the same level as actual physical harm. But that's me. Just for clarity, i dont believe for a sec Savea wanted to kill him. Cant believe i have to explicitly clarify. These times...

But hey, I mean, it'd be 'a bit' hypocritical for someone, anyone, to have asked for Israel Folau's head for what he did on instagram and turn a blind eye with Savea for what he did, mid game, live, in front of the ref.

I know, one is ARU's thingie and the other a WR/SR thing, different animals. Tecnicalities aside (they are important, granted) the fans'/pundits' outrage or lack thereoff should still aim at avoiding double standards. as a principle at least.

Ardie was just getting in some haka practice and therefore being entirely respectful to the game and his opponents. :p

Glad to see Brumbies defeating the Blues. Hopefully a sign of Oz rugby coming off the ropes. ;)

Brumbies and Chiefs looking best early season. I hate the 'super week' concept in Melbourne. Particularly when half the sides haven't even had a home match yet.

Neither did Folau.
Apparently, who knew!, the messages a player sends, verbal, non-verbal and written, matter. Not that i like it. Personally, i agree with you in the fact that no word other than a direct and undeniable threat to do physical harm should NOT be at the same level as actual physical harm. But that's me. Just for clarity, i dont believe for a sec Savea wanted to kill him. Cant believe i have to explicitly clarify. These times...

But hey, I mean, it'd be 'a bit' hypocritical for someone, anyone, to have asked for Israel Folau's head for what he did on instagram and turn a blind eye with Savea for what he did, mid game, live, in front of the ref.

I know, one is ARU's thingie and the other a WR/SR thing, different animals. Tecnicalities aside (they are important, granted) the fans'/pundits' outrage or lack thereoff should still aim at avoiding double standards. as a principle at least.
It's not what Izzy is "doing on Instagram". It's to do with the intolerant hate he campaigns for publicly, resulting in organisations not wanting to be associated with him.

The 'intolerant hate'... so that's the standard.

1678041537187.jpeg

There's celarly nothing more than love, forbearance and patience in Ardie's gesture.

Again, i'm ok with him doing that, 100%. As long as we (not just RU's, journos, pundits and us fans too) judge ALL of them by the same standards. But going after Folau the way many did and then letting THIS slide? As if it was nothing? Well, that's a tad hypocritical.

To be fair, i'd be furious if i were in Ardie's shoes. I mean, all those resources gone onto kiwi invisibility cloaks that dont work when it matters? Livid i tell ya.
...why have you just come on here to take swipes at kiwis...none have posted here he should go unpunished, if you've seen things elsewhere take it up with them, you seem to have a shockingly big chip on your shoulder about kiwis in general and Falou for some reason

Latest posts