• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby play-offs: Chiefs - Crusaders in Hamilton (28/07/2012)

1. Sona Taumalolo
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Ben Tameifuna
4. Craig Clarke (c)
5. Brodie Retallick
6. Liam Messam
7. Tanerau Latimer
8. Kane Thompson
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Asaeli Tikoirotuma
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Andrew Horrell
14. Tim Nanai-Williams
15. Robbie Robinson
16. Hika Elliot
17. Ben Afeaki
18. Michael Fitzgerald
19. Sam Cane
20. Brendon Leonard
21. Jackson Willison
22. Lelia Masaga

Interesting...

I couple of very interesting selections for the Chiefs. I would have preferred Smith over Taumalolo, but Taumalolo certainly won't let the team down! Good to see Ben Afeaki back on the bench though. I'm not surprised to see Latimer starting again at 7, but I do feel they would be better of with Cane's physicality against the Crusaders. I'm sure Horrell will do a good job at centre (he did last time against the Crusaders), but I still prefer him at fullback. Slightly surprised to see Masaga relegated to the bench again, and I'm still not 100% convinced with Robinson at fullback - he has made some big improvements in his game this season, but he can still struggle defensively at times. I wouldn't be surprised if the Crusaders target him with a few high balls too....

im guttered cheifs havent given Declan Odonnell any playing time this year. waste of talent.

Yeah, but when you have three other super wingers in your squad it's understandable that he won't get a lot of game time...

Plenty of great match-ups in this match!

I think the Crusaders have an edge in the front-row, even if they do have one of the best TH props in the world sitting on the bench. Ben Franks vs Taumalolo will be very interesting - Franks really needs a strong match if he wants to be included in the next AB's squad. On the other side Tameifuna vs Crockett is another great match-up - Crockett can often struggle against shorter props. I think the Crusaders have an slight edge in the locks too. Clarke is very consistent at this level (and was really missed the last time the teams met), but Romano looks more like an All Black every week. Sam Whitelock and Retallick are the two best lock in New Zealand, so there match-up will particularly interesting. I think Retallick has had a slightly better season overall, but Whitelock probably had his best game of the year last weekend.

The Crusaders look to have a slight edge in the loose forwards too. Messam has an obvious edge over George Whitelock (who is still under-rated by many), but I'd take Todd over Latimer (just), and McCaw is in a different class to Thomson (even at number 8). The Chiefs do have Sam Cane on the bench, and I'd expect he will make a big impact when he comes on.

The halves battle is very interesting - again I see the Crusaders with a very slight edge. Ellis always seems to perform well at this level, but Kerr-Barlow has been very impressive this season. I'd still just prefer Ellis though - Kerr-Barlow is a great ball runner, a very strong defender (much better than Ellis), but his decision making is still a bit erratic at times. Cruden has been a lot quieter in recent weeks (perhaps due to his achilles injury?), but has had an outstanding season, so his match-up vs Carter will be great to watch! I think the Chiefs have an advantage in the mid-field. Though I've got a lot of time for Crotty, SBW has been outstanding this season (the best 12 in the competition in my opinion). Fruean has been a bit quiet overall this season - it will be interesting if Horrell is able to contain him as he did last time the teams met. Again I think the Crusaders have a slight edge out wide - I still think picking Robinson at fullback will prove a mistake for the Chiefs.

Overall I'm expecting it to be a very close match. I'm picking the Crusaders to win (by 5-10 points) as I think they have the edge in a number of areas, and perhaps more importantly a lot more 'big match experience'. Can't wait for this match!

I'd pick the Crusaders too... But I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised!!

i don't know who to go for here :? i rather want the sharks to beat the stormers so we can have a final in NZ...

regardless of who wins between the chiefs or saders...

As much as I'd like to see the Chiefs/Crusaders have a home final, I think the Stormers need to be there to make it that much more epic.

As much as I'd like to see the Chiefs/Crusaders have a home final, I think the Stormers need to be there to make it that much more epic.

i personally don't feel the stormers deserve to be there nor being on top of the overall log...

they are there cuz of their defence aka the bus...

i'm old school... The best defense is a good offense lol

i personally don't feel the stormers deserve to be there nor being on top of the overall log...

This is Rugby Union not Gymnastics.

The winner isn't decided by off field judges on their aesthetic look and their artistry.

It's decided on the scoreboard and the team with most points wins.

Go and watch Sevens if you hate good defence so much.

The fact that the Chiefs and Stormers haven't played each other this season makes it even more enticing...

This is Rugby Union not Gymnastics.

The winner isn't decided by off field judges on their aesthetic look and their artistry.

It's decided on the scoreboard and the team with most points wins.

Go and watch Sevens if you hate good defence so much.

do you know what is the meaning of personally? i guess not...

The fact that the Chiefs and Stormers haven't played each other this season makes it even more enticing...

No Sharks-Crusaders match-up this season, no Stormers-Chiefs match-up this season. 50% chance we see either of these in the final!

it is an interesting side

bit shocked with the selection of props and I think it will bite the chiefs. Sona isn't the strongest in the scrum and he's going to be playing 80 with the two tighthead ben's in the side.

maybe the chiefs are just conceding the scrum or have a game plan to counter it.

massive game for Robbie Robinson, Masaga not starting but he can add genuine impact of the bench as long as Renee gives him enough time.

Still think that if the chiefs can start well and hold their own at lineout time they will be the better team and win the game.

Masaga is a match winner, should start with him

it is an interesting side

bit shocked with the selection of props and I think it will bite the chiefs. Sona isn't the strongest in the scrum and he's going to be playing 80 with the two tighthead ben's in the side.

maybe the chiefs are just conceding the scrum or have a game plan to counter it.

massive game for Robbie Robinson, Masaga not starting but he can add genuine impact of the bench as long as Renee gives him enough time.

Still think that if the chiefs can start well and hold their own at lineout time they will be the better team and win the game.

At times he is pretty ordinary at scrum time (though I certainly wouldn't call him a weak scrummager), but when he gets fired up he can be a very destructive scrummager (more so than Toby Smith). He gave Ben Franks a very hard time in the last 20-odd mins of the AB's vs Tonga RWC match last season - I'm sure he will try to repeat that performance!

I think the fact the Chiefs have Ben Afeaki on the bench indicates they believe holding their own at scrum time will be vital in this match....

Masaga is a match winner, should start with him

I agree - I would probably be starting him too. However I can understand why they would be cautious about starting him versus the Crusaders, as I remember the Crusaders successfully targeting him last season with high-balls, and kicks over his head which he struggled to re-gather....

Last edited:
Both squads have surprised me with their prop starters. I would've thought Owen Franks would definitely be starting especially in a crunch game like this one. I'm not saying Ben is bad or anything just that I feel Owen is the better player. Also with Toby Smith and Afeaki not being included for Ben Tameifuna is beyond me. Maybe Rennie is rewarding Ben for being such a warrior for the Chiefs all season but also, a crunch game, they need the win why not put Smith in there?.. I wouldn't dismiss Sona Taumalolo, he's not that bad of a scrummager and just does so much more for the team in other areas, plus, if he gets hit hands on the ball within the 5m, you can put a bet on that the man will bag his team 5pts.

But with that said, I think the Crusaders will come out on top. It's almost like it's a birth right for them to move on to the finals just because of their track record. Crotty is highly underrated and I think he will contain SBW very well, especially with Carter on his inside. SBW has been poor since his announcement, yes he scored a fabulous try against the Crusaders but that was pretty much all he did all game. I think his mind is elsewhere and the Crusaders intensity will be at another level to that of the Chiefs..

Crusaders by 12

Both squads have surprised me with their prop starters. I would've thought Owen Franks would definitely be starting especially in a crunch game like this one. I'm not saying Ben is bad or anything just that I feel Owen is the better player. Also with Toby Smith and Afeaki not being included for Ben Tameifuna is beyond me. Maybe Rennie is rewarding Ben for being such a warrior for the Chiefs all season but also, a crunch game, they need the win why not put Smith in there?.. I wouldn't dismiss Sona Taumalolo, he's not that bad of a scrummager and just does so much more for the team in other areas, plus, if he gets hit hands on the ball within the 5m, you can put a bet on that the man will bag his team 5pts.

But with that said, I think the Crusaders will come out on top. It's almost like it's a birth right for them to move on to the finals just because of their track record. Crotty is highly underrated and I think he will contain SBW very well, especially with Carter on his inside. SBW has been poor since his announcement, yes he scored a fabulous try against the Crusaders but that was pretty much all he did all game. I think his mind is elsewhere and the Crusaders intensity will be at another level to that of the Chiefs..

Crusaders by 12

I can understand the Chiefs sticking with Tameifuna at tight-head prop. He has been very impressive for them all season, and had arguably his best game all season in his last match (against the Canes). In addition, Afeaki is only just back from 6 weeks off with injury. Finally Wyatt Crockett struggles with shorter props far more than he does with taller props, so I'd expect Tameifuna (at 1.82m) will cause him a lot more problems than Afeaki (at 1.93m). If they were both fully match-fit I'd probably be more inclined to go with Afeaki starting and Tameifuna on the bench (just), but given the circumstances I think they have made the right call (though, like Larksea, I would have probably gone with Smith over Taumalolo at LH prop....). Smith isn't an option at TH prop. The Chiefs scrum started to go backwards the moment he went onto the TH side versus the Hurricanes - I can only imagine what the Crusaders scrum would do to him!

I think Crusaders foward pack is lightyears ahead of the Cheifs in terms of experience, form and overall ability. cheifs do have youth on their side. expect McCaw to be an absolute menace at the breakdown and the tight 5 to give nice clean ball for Andy Ellis. Having said that i would expect the likes of Messam , Latimar , Clarke and Scwlghar to really take their game to another level and lead from the front to somehow stop this rampant Crusader pack. The star studded backlines will be a spectacle to see, the battle at halfback i would give to Ker Barlow simply because he does things Ellis cant. First Five i expect Carter to pretty much school Crueden. Again. in the centres Sonnybill Williams and Horrell will break the line at ease i feel, and that is what will keep the cheifs in the game. back three a clear edge to the crusaders the understanding between Dagg and Guilford is worldclass and you can really tell these 2 have been playing together for quite some time.

Prediction - $20 on Crusaders 13+

Latest posts