• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Squads for 2011 (New Zealand)

just for haha's. Chiefs lineup...

Very strong everywhere everyone in the starting 15 has either worn the black jersey or been talked about as a possable all black. And every player in the backline has been or is an all black. I hope to see the bench used a LOT because there is much firepower there, no point in leaving the likes of latimer, Delany, Moa & Hika on the bench for the whole game when they can add genuine impact. Tana should ba a real asset and should help the younger guys like Kahui, Willison & Tokula. They should get used to changing around a bit because Tana likely wont play full games.

Looking at the lineup you can also see that running rugby is going to be the the name of the game with every single player being a natural runner - heck even nathan white had some good runs in this last ITM cup. And with Issac Ross being the worlds best 2m tall playmaker

1, Toby Smith
2, Mega
3, nathan White
4, Craig Clark
5, Isaac Ross
6, Liam Messam
7, Scott Waldrom
8, Colin Bourke
9, Brendon Leonard
10, Stephen Donald
11, Sitivini Sivivatu
12, Tana Umaga
13, Richard Kahui
14, Lelia Masaga
15, Mils Muliaina

16, Hika Elliot
17, Ben Afeaki
18, Romana Graham
19, Tanerau Latimer
20, Taniela Moa
21, Mike Delany
22, Jackson Willison/Save Tokula (gonna need the 22 to be able to cover 12/13 tana most likely will only be a 60min player - would like to see Save come on and move Kahui to 12)

just for haha's. Chiefs lineup...

Very strong everywhere everyone in the starting 15 has either worn the black jersey or been talked about as a possable all black. And every player in the backline has been or is an all black. I hope to see the bench used a LOT because there is much firepower there, no point in leaving the likes of latimer, Delany, Moa & Hika on the bench for the whole game when they can add genuine impact. Tana should ba a real asset and should help the younger guys like Kahui, Willison & Tokula. They should get used to changing around a bit because Tana likely wont play full games.

Looking at the lineup you can also see that running rugby is going to be the the name of the game with every single player being a natural runner - heck even nathan white had some good runs in this last ITM cup. And with Issac Ross being the worlds best 2m tall playmaker

1, Toby Smith
2, Mega
3, nathan White
4, Craig Clark
5, Isaac Ross
6, Liam Messam
7, Scott Waldrom
8, Colin Bourke
9, Brendon Leonard
10, Stephen Donald
11, Sitivini Sivivatu
12, Tana Umaga
13, Richard Kahui
14, Lelia Masaga
15, Mils Muliaina

16, Hika Elliot
17, Ben Afeaki
18, Romana Graham
19, Tanerau Latimer
20, Taniela Moa
21, Mike Delany
22, Jackson Willison/Save Tokula (gonna need the 22 to be able to cover 12/13 tana most likely will only be a 60min player - would like to see Save come on and move Kahui to 12)

I'd agree with the majority of that starting lineup, I'd probably have just a few changes...

Props: Smith has to start, so it's a matter of finding someone to complement him. I agree that White is that natural choice, as they have formed a good combination (alongside de Malmanche) at Waikato. I think this could be the season that Afeaki really comes into his own at this level, but it would be a bit of risk starting both Afeaki and Smith, as both are very inexperienced at this level.

Hookers: Personally I'd start Elliot, with de Malamanche on the bench, but there is not much between the two to be honest. I'd imagine they will both get there fair share of start, and I'd expect the bench hooker to get a good 20-30 mins a game off the bench in any case.

Locks: I'd start Clarke and either Triggs or Retallick at lock - I'm not a fan of Ross, as I like my locks to hit the odd ruck. I think Ross would be a good player to have coming off the bench though, as he could really add some impact once the game has loosened up a bit. I'm not a fan of Graham either - he clearly has all the skills, but again plays a bit loose for my liking, and does have some serious anger issues...

Loosies: If Waldrom is fully fit he may push Latimer for a starting spot, but personally I like the more conistent game that Latimer provides to complement the more expansive games of Bourke and Messem. Again I think Waldrom could add great impact from the bench if he came on with 20-30 to go.

Backs (they are unimportant so get lumped together in one category): I'm not convinced Umuga is up to starting many games at Super Rugby level. He was ok for Counties, but he was hardly a standout (despite the hype around him). I think they would be better off either playing Delany at 10, with Donald at 12, or starting Willison at 12. I'm a big fan of Willison - when he is not injured he looks very classy. On the bench I would definately have Kerr-Barlow over Moa, as he is incredibly talented, and could even challenge Leonard for the strating spot by the end of the Super Rugby season. I would have Nanai-Williams on the bench (with either Willison or Delany, depending on who they start) as he is another great impact player.

I'd agree with the majority of that starting lineup, I'd probably have just a few changes...

Props: Smith has to start, so it's a matter of finding someone to complement him. I agree that White is that natural choice, as they have formed a good combination (alongside de Malmanche) at Waikato. I think this could be the season that Afeaki really comes into his own at this level, but it would be a bit of risk starting both Afeaki and Smith, as both are very inexperienced at this level.

Hookers: Personally I'd start Elliot, with de Malamanche on the bench, but there is not much between the two to be honest. I'd imagine they will both get there fair share of start, and I'd expect the bench hooker to get a good 20-30 mins a game off the bench in any case.

Locks: I'd start Clarke and either Triggs or Retallick at lock - I'm not a fan of Ross, as I like my locks to hit the odd ruck. I think Ross would be a good player to have coming off the bench though, as he could really add some impact once the game has loosened up a bit. I'm not a fan of Graham either - he clearly has all the skills, but again plays a bit loose for my liking, and does have some serious anger issues...

Loosies: If Waldrom is fully fit he may push Latimer for a starting spot, but personally I like the more conistent game that Latimer provides to complement the more expansive games of Bourke and Messem. Again I think Waldrom could add great impact from the bench if he came on with 20-30 to go.

Backs (they are unimportant so get lumped together in one category): I'm not convinced Umuga is up to starting many games at Super Rugby level. He was ok for Counties, but he was hardly a standout (despite the hype around him). I think they would be better off either playing Delany at 10, with Donald at 12, or starting Willison at 12. I'm a big fan of Willison - when he is not injured he looks very classy. On the bench I would definately have Kerr-Barlow over Moa, as he is incredibly talented, and could even challenge Leonard for the strating spot by the end of the Super Rugby season. I would have Nanai-Williams on the bench (with either Willison or Delany, depending on who they start) as he is another great impact player.

I agree with most of this. The only thing I don't really agree on is for the bench I would pick:

20.Taniela Moa
21.Tana Umaga
22.Tim Nanai-Williams

Delany and Donald would be starting and Tana Umaga would replace one of them. His experience and leadership could be crucial in closing out tight games. I really rate Moa and if he sorts himself out, then I think he deserves a spot on the bench. I wouldn't object too much to Kerr-Barlow, though, as he is very talented.

I'd run with the lineup of:

1 Smith
2 de Malmanche
3 Taumalolo
4 Clarke
5 Retalick
6 Messam
7 Latimer
8 Bourke
9 Leonard
10 Delany
11 Sivivatu
12 Donald
13 Kahui
14 Masaga
15 Muliaina
16 Elliot
17 May
18 Ross
19 Waldrom
20 Kerr-Barlow
21 Willison
22 Sweeney

You've got the more secure players on the pitch to start with, but the likes of Elliot, May, Ross, Sweeney adding huge impact from the bench. Taumalolo has been a best in recent years, likewise May, I see no reason for Foster to lose faith in them - if he didn't think they were up to it they wouldn't have been selected. I think there'll be a fair amount of rotation among the props though. Umaga won't play many games - he may get a few against weaker/bigger opposition. I'm hoping Donald does play at 12, Delany's too talented too leave on the bench - though I believe Foster said they'd both be competing for the 10 jersey. On the bench it's a toss up between Nanai-Williams and Sweeney for the 22 jumper.

How did Gareth Anscombe not get taken in a squad?! To think that Daniel Kirkpatrick, Tyler Blyendaal and Lima Sopoaga all got contracts ahead of him is a big surprise. What did Kirkpatrick and Blyendaal do that Anscombe didn't? Sopoaga I thought was good for Wellington and was shocked that they took Kirpatrick (who hasn't been good for any team he has been at) over him at the canes, especially as he is a wellington boy.

How did Gareth Anscombe not get taken in a squad?! To think that Daniel Kirkpatrick, Tyler Blyendaal and Lima Sopoaga all got contracts ahead of him is a big surprise. What did Kirkpatrick and Blyendaal do that Anscombe didn't? Sopoaga I thought was good for Wellington and was shocked that they took Kirpatrick (who hasn't been good for any team he has been at) over him at the canes, especially as he is a wellington boy.

I think managing these young players carefully is important. Neither Anscombe (nor Barrett) are particularly big guys, so it may have been considered that they were unsuited to the rigors of Super Rugby at this stage. Both will be included in wider training squads, where there development (both physical and in rugby terms) can be monitored carefully. I'm not at all surprised Blyendaal was selected - he was outstanding in the under 20 tournament, though I wouldn't expect him to get huge amounts of game time this season. I think people are writing off Kirkpatrick far too quickly - he is only 21 (turns 22 in a few days), and was the player of the tournament at the inaugural under 20 world champs (so he was obviously pretty good for that team!). He clearly has a lot of talent, he just hasn't seemed to have adjusted to playing professional rugby yet - I think this could be a big season for him.

Having a look through the squads, I found abundance of abundance of locks and loose-forwards in the Blues squad interesting. Most NZ teams have 10 locks/loosies, the Canes picked 11, while the Blues picked 12 - it seemed a big excessive to me. How they will use all these players will be interesting - I'd assume Boric and Williams will be the locks, with Kaino at 6, and Dan Braid at 7, the selection of the number 8 will be interesting. They have four players who are genuine options for number 8 - Peter Saili, Chris Lowery, Matt Luamanu, and Brad Mika. Brad Mika played possibly his best rugby for the Blues in his last season for them at number 8, but he is a really an unknown as he's been away for a few years. Saili, Lowery, and Luamanu are three of the most promising young loosies in the country - Saili and Lowery are probably more complete players than Luamanu, but Lowery has really struggled with injury, while Saili has yet to really realize his potential. Luamanu is clearly a devastating ball runner - if he can continue to work on his fitness levels (as well as other aspects of his game) he could potentially be the ideal starting 8 for the Blues.

The Hurricanes should haved picked Mike Coman from Hawkes Bay.This guy is awesome makes heaps of hit ups and tackles and is good at taking the high ball from kick off, a true workhorse.

I think managing these young players carefully is important. Neither Anscombe (nor Barrett) are particularly big guys, so it may have been considered that they were unsuited to the rigors of Super Rugby at this stage. Both will be included in wider training squads, where there development (both physical and in rugby terms) can be monitored carefully. I'm not at all surprised Blyendaal was selected - he was outstanding in the under 20 tournament, though I wouldn't expect him to get huge amounts of game time this season. I think people are writing off Kirkpatrick far too quickly - he is only 21 (turns 22 in a few days), and was the player of the tournament at the inaugural under 20 world champs (so he was obviously pretty good for that team!). He clearly has a lot of talent, he just hasn't seemed to have adjusted to playing professional rugby yet - I think this could be a big season for him.

I've always kind of thought if you're good enough you're big enough. Cruden was tiny when he first started for the turbos, and still isn't exactly big and he does alright for himself. For me I think form in the ITM cup trumps form at age grade level; I've got no opinions on Blyendaal, I'm sure he's great, but I've never seen him play. And like you mentioned Kirkpatrick played well in the u20's but has yet to turn that into any sort of form at ITM cup let alone super 15 so I don't think it's as easy as saying "he was great at u20's, he'll be good at super 15".

Would've liked to have seen how Anscombe went, I'm not saying he should be a starter but throwing him on in the last 20 or so of a blowout win/loss could surely only help him. Oh well like you say he'll be in the wider squad and is probably only an injury away from being called up.

I've always kind of thought if you're good enough you're big enough. Cruden was tiny when he first started for the turbos, and still isn't exactly big and he does alright for himself. For me I think form in the ITM cup trumps form at age grade level; I've got no opinions on Blyendaal, I'm sure he's great, but I've never seen him play. And like you mentioned Kirkpatrick played well in the u20's but has yet to turn that into any sort of form at ITM cup let alone super 15 so I don't think it's as easy as saying "he was great at u20's, he'll be good at super 15".

Would've liked to have seen how Anscombe went, I'm not saying he should be a starter but throwing him on in the last 20 or so of a blowout win/loss could surely only help him. Oh well like you say he'll be in the wider squad and is probably only an injury away from being called up.

Yeah I agree that playing well in the under 20's does not necessarily mean you will be good at Super Rugby - likewise playing well at the ITM Cup doesn't mean you will be successful at Super Rugby. Like you, I would love to see talented youngsters like Barrett and Anscombe playing Super Rugby, but I do have faith that the coaches are in a much better position than you and I to judge their readiness for Super Rugby. I'm sure both have huge careers ahead of them in any case.

Yeah I agree that playing well in the under 20's does not necessarily mean you will be good at Super Rugby - likewise playing well at the ITM Cup doesn't mean you will be successful at Super Rugby. Like you, I would love to see talented youngsters like Barrett and Anscombe playing Super Rugby, but I do have faith that the coaches are in a much better position than you and I to judge their readiness for Super Rugby. I'm sure both have huge careers ahead of them in any case.

True, bit harder to take a shot on young kids when you're credibility/job is on the line.

Kade Poki added to Highlanders as injury cover

I imagine he might get a decent amount of game time for the Highlanders (even if off the bench). I reckon the Highlanders had contracted most of their players already when they found out he was still available so didn't have much room left for him.

Yeah I agree he could get quite a lot of time for the Highlanders - he was really impressive for Tasman in the later half of the season. I'd actually be tempted to start him on the wing (with Veainu on the other wing), though with the injuries to Paterson and Baker we may see Ben Smith again play primarily on the wing (though I'd much rather see him in midfield)...

another good signing for the highlanders, not going to win it or anything but a "solid season" would be good, all these guys i think are on two year contrats so a season totry some stuff and then one to show some stuff

I have to say ben is not big enough to be a world class midfielder and although showed some good touches there for otago I have a bad feeling about him going head to head with some of those RSA guys, He looks just as good from fullback with some space to play with so keep him there i say.

We should be doing everything we can to get the ball to him with some space rather than using him to make the space.

My preffered starting XV:

1) Woodcock
2) Mealamu (c)
3) Afoa
4) Liaki Moli
5) Williams
6) Kaino
7) D. Braid
8) Mika
9) Mathewson
10) Brett (Pity Anscoombe didn't get selected...)
11) Rokocoko (Will the real Joe please stand up)
12) B. Stanley (Solid on D and good kicker - better than Luke)
13) Ranger (Not sure about Ranger at centre yet but better than Luke)
14) Stowers (If given some game time this dude is gonna kick a$$)
15) Toeava

Happy with that! :D Go the Blues!!!!

another good signing for the highlanders, not going to win it or anything but a "solid season" would be good, all these guys i think are on two year contrats so a season totry some stuff and then one to show some stuff

I have to say ben is not big enough to be a world class midfielder and although showed some good touches there for otago I have a bad feeling about him going head to head with some of those RSA guys, He looks just as good from fullback with some space to play with so keep him there i say.

We should be doing everything we can to get the ball to him with some space rather than using him to make the space.

I think the selectors will go for something like this:

15.Robinson (has the potential to be the next Dagg)
14.Poki (if Paterson and Smith are injured)
13.Smith (The selectors can play someone like Siale Piutau against the bigger midfields. From what I've seen he is a fairly physical player considering his size)
12.Treeby (I would be more worried about him than Smith, to be honest)
11.Veainu
10.Slade
9.Cowan (strangely, the halfback is probably the biggest back in this line up)

Only problem is this will leave out Kendrick Lynn, who had a good season for the Stags. Maybe they could give him a shot on the wing if the Treeby - Smith midfield is working.
Kade Poki isn't huge but he is quite a strong player. They could also give him a run at centre.

My preffered starting XV:

1) Woodcock
2) Mealamu (c)
3) Afoa
4) Liaki Moli
5) Williams
6) Kaino
7) D. Braid
8) Mika
9) Mathewson
10) Brett (Pity Anscoombe didn't get selected...)
11) Rokocoko (Will the real Joe please stand up)
12) B. Stanley (Solid on D and good kicker - better than Luke)
13) Ranger (Not sure about Ranger at centre yet but better than Luke)
14) Stowers (If given some game time this dude is gonna kick a$$)
15) Toeava

Happy with that! :D Go the Blues!!!!

I can't see them leaving out All Black Anthony Boric, as much as I do think Liaki Moli is a great young prospect with huge potential. I'm also not sure they will go for Brad Mika at no.8. He hasn't been playing in NZ so he needs to earn a spot back. I would go for Luamanu or Saili, at this stage.

I would go for a backline of:
9.Mathewson
10.Stephen Brett
11.Joe Rokocoko
12.Benson Stanley
13.Isaia Toeava (could swap him and Payne around and they'd do just as well)
14.Rene Ranger (don't think his passing/decision making is up to scratch to be a centre, at the moment. They could still have him run as centre off set moves)
15.Jared Payne

20.Chris Smylie
21.Luke McAlister
22.Sherwin Stowers (Put him on for Joe when the defense has tired and see what he can do. I'm still not totally convinced he will be good at Super rugby level so I wouldn't be giving him a spot straight away)

yeah, dont ask me why buy i had seen Poki as a real utility in a backline more along the lines of

15.Robinson/Smith
14.Smith/Poki
13.Lynn
12.Treeby
11.Veainu
10.slade
9.cowen

the other reason i was thinking smith will play as an outside back is there is also Matt Saunders to cover midfield

I pretty sure we only listed three wingers (smith included) and two fullbacks and with paterson/baker injured Poki has to be in as an outside back with smith and Veninu

seems a bit thin now i look at it....did we really need seven loosies with only five outside backs?

and that blues backline looks lethal! a couple of guys that can run hot and cold but if they all fire...

Last edited:
I can't see them leaving out All Black Anthony Boric, as much as I do think Liaki Moli is a great young prospect with huge potential. I'm also not sure they will go for Brad Mika at no.8. He hasn't been playing in NZ so he needs to earn a spot back. I would go for Luamanu or Saili, at this stage.

I would go for a backline of:
9.Mathewson
10.Stephen Brett
11.Joe Rokocoko
12.Benson Stanley
13.Isaia Toeava (could swap him and Payne around and they'd do just as well)
14.Rene Ranger (don't think his passing/decision making is up to scratch to be a centre, at the moment. They could still have him run as centre off set moves)
15.Jared Payne

20.Chris Smylie
21.Luke McAlister
22.Sherwin Stowers (Put him on for Joe when the defense has tired and see what he can do. I'm still not totally convinced he will be good at Super rugby level so I wouldn't be giving him a spot straight away)

I agree - Boric will definitely start, who they use on the bench to cover lock will be quite interesting. Personally I would pick Moli, however they may want to have a bit more experience in the form of Haiu or Paulo (not that Paulo really has that much experience), or even pick someone like Mika or Lowrey who could cover both number 8 and lock. As I've mentioned before, number 8 will be a really interesting selection - by the sounds of it Mika will not be available for the first few rounds (through injury) - in any case if they are looking for a big bruising number 8 I think they would be better off picking Luamanu. He's about the same size as Mika, but is a more powerful ball runner, and has a lot of potential.

There are a huge number of options in the backline, as they have a quite a few players that can cover multiple positions. Like you I prefer Ranger on the wing, and I also prefer Toeava at fullback rather than centre, though he is a more than capable centre. Another option they may use is to play MacAlister at 12, with Stanley at 13 (with Rokocoko and Ranger on the wings, and Toeava at fullback) - they certainly have plenty of options!

I think the selectors will go for something like this:

15.Robinson (has the potential to be the next Dagg)
14.Poki (if Paterson and Smith are injured)
13.Smith (The selectors can play someone like Siale Piutau against the bigger midfields. From what I've seen he is a fairly physical player considering his size)
12.Treeby (I would be more worried about him than Smith, to be honest)
11.Veainu
10.Slade
9.Cowan (strangely, the halfback is probably the biggest back in this line up)

Only problem is this will leave out Kendrick Lynn, who had a good season for the Stags. Maybe they could give him a shot on the wing if the Treeby - Smith midfield is working.
Kade Poki isn't huge but he is quite a strong player. They could also give him a run at centre.

Backline size will be a major issue for the Highlanders next year. Personally I would like to see Ben Smith and Lynn in the midfield, but I do think they may need to pick one of their bigger centres (Saunders or Piutau). I do like Ben Smith at fullback as well as in the midfield, but the Highlanders need to give Robbie Robinson as much game time as possible for him to reach his potential. Though it's certainly not the best backline in the competition, it is nice to have a backline full of talented young players rather than the rubbish backlines the Highlanders have had in recent years!

Latest posts