• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby Squads for 2011 (New Zealand)

If the Highlanders field that backline I would love to see them on the counter attack!

On Poki he might be small but he's a strong runner and is solid in defence, I also notice when he plays in the midfield against bigger blokes they tend to struggle to contain him because he's agile and quick as well as strong. So I think he's a great addition (provided he can stay healthy) to what I thought was a already solid squad.

I can't see them leaving out All Black Anthony Boric, as much as I do think Liaki Moli is a great young prospect with huge potential. I'm also not sure they will go for Brad Mika at no.8. He hasn't been playing in NZ so he needs to earn a spot back. I would go for Luamanu or Saili, at this stage.

I would go for a backline of:
9.Mathewson
10.Stephen Brett
11.Joe Rokocoko
12.Benson Stanley
13.Isaia Toeava (could swap him and Payne around and they'd do just as well)
14.Rene Ranger (don't think his passing/decision making is up to scratch to be a centre, at the moment. They could still have him run as centre off set moves)
15.Jared Payne

20.Chris Smylie
21.Luke McAlister
22.Sherwin Stowers (Put him on for Joe when the defense has tired and see what he can do. I'm still not totally convinced he will be good at Super rugby level so I wouldn't be giving him a spot straight away)

Agree with you. Although that was my preferred team I'm pretty sure Pat Lam will select something more like this:

Woodcock/ Mealamu/ Afoa
Boric/ Williams
Kaino/ Lowrey or Luamanu/ D.Braid
Mathewson/ Brett
Mcalister/ Toeava or Ranger
Rokocoko/ Ranger or Toeava
Payne or Toeava

Will be very interested to see if they start Delany at 10. and Donald at 12. I mean, Donald is a top player at S15, but Delany just CAN'T sit on the bench.

Latest posts