• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super shockers! why are they leaving?

K

Kalium

Surely I am not the only one thats's horrified to see some of the big names that are departing from the SH to go and play up north. Can it realy be that the only reason these player are leaving is money...???

:wah: John Smit, Victor Matfield, Luke Mcalister, Peter Hewat, Butch james, Carl Hayman, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON :wah:

Can someone plz explain what is going on!!!!??

money inbetwenn world cups. most of the nz guys seem to have signed 2 year contracts and want to return for the world cup in nz.

Yeah its as simple as exchange rates unfortunately.

1 British pound = approx NZ$3

They don't do it for the fine weather, thats for damn sure!

McAlister has said he wanted an OE, but I think thats an excuse rather than a reason. Although its fair to say the Kiwis, Aussies and Saffas do love to travel the world, its almost a ritual to spend time in the UK for young people in the SANZAR nations. So it must be hard for these rugby guys to wait until they're 30 with children before they travel the world.

The names Kalium has mentioned is also only the tip of the Iceberg.

From NZ Super teams alone are as follows (33 total).
(* = All Black)

Blues (9)

*Sam Tuitupou: Worcester, England

*Saimone Taumoepeau: Toulon, Fr

*Angus MacDonald: Toyota, Japan

*Doug Howlett: Munster, Wales

*Luke McAlister: Sale, England

*Greg Rawlinson: Worcester, Eng

Plus these player forced to retire through injury:
David Gibson
*Steve Devine
*Derren Witcombe

Chiefs (4)

*Byron Kelleher: Toulouse, France

*Marty Holah: Ospreys, Wales

Steven Bates: Japan

Roy Kinikinilau: Japan

Hurricanes (7)

Luke Andrews: Japan

Lome Fa'atau: Glasgow, Scotland

Nili Latu: NEC Green Rockets, Japan

*Brad Mika: Brive, France

Mahonri Schwalger

Paul ***o: Cardiff, Wales

*Tana Umaga: Toulon, France

Crusaders (8)

*Rico Gear: Worcester, England

*Chris Jack: Saracens, England

Johnny Leo'o: Paris Racing Metro, Fr

*Aaron Mauger: Leicester, England

Tusi Pisi: Toulon, France

*Kevin Senio: Castres, France

Rua Tipoki: Munster, Wales

Brent Ward: Paris Racing Metro, Fr

Highlanders (5)

Josh Blackie: Kobe Steel, Japan

*Clarke Dermody: London Irish, Eng

*Carl Hayman: Newcastle, England

*Anton Oliver: Toulon, France

Hale T-Pole: Unattached

Jerry Collins, Joe Rokocoko, Keith Robinson, Reuben Thorne and Mils Muliaina are all coming off contract next year and have been strongly linked with various French and English clubs also.

Basically the SH is in trouble if these trends continue. NH clubs are determined to go down the path of pro soccer. The clubs will have the best players and will be the pinnacle of rugby except for when they break for the 6N and world cup.

This article paints a very grim picture for the future:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/event/story.cfm?...jectid=10471135

Even I'm feeling a little worried after reading this!

Yeah exchange rates and also the ***** these NH teams offer to older players, one of the reasons Larkham was enticed to go to Edinburgh was due to how they offered to settle his family down etc. The Northern Hemisphere teams are like retirement villages for the SANZAR greats.

I'll miss seeing Matfield's green headgear and belligerent stare, and I think the myth is you can blame George Gregan for him signing with Toulon; kept on nagging Matfield to sign during a tri-nations game.

[/b]

I know what u mean how's this for a shock. 1 British pound = approx R 11

[/b]

I know what u mean how's this for a shock. 1 British pound = approx R 11

One small thing. Munster is an Irish Province, not a Welsh Region.

Also, Hale T-Pole has signed a one year contract with the Ospreys.

Haha, sorry bout that dullonien, teaches me to read what I extract from media articles before posting them. Believe me, it was a consequence of lazyness, not a lack of knowledge. Those two guys will do Thomond Park crowds a great service though!! Tipoki and Howlett have alot of experience and are both very dangerous attacking backs!

You must be looking forward to Holah? He is honestly one of the best and most underated 7's in the game. He is awesome at the breakdown, but tends to get more heat from referees than McCaw. T-Pole's not too bad. But you would have been better off if Jonno Gibbes had decided to honour the contract he signed last year.

Although, I've been managing to keep up with a few of the Magner's League games recently and I've been impressed with some of the youthful talents in Welsh rugby.

One small thing. Munster is an Irish Province, not a Welsh Region.

Also, Hale T-Pole has signed a one year contract with the Ospreys.
[/b]

I always thought Cork was the Welsh capital :bleh!:

I like T-Pole as a player. He showed real promise playing in NZ for Southland in the Air New Zealand Cup/NPC

Auckland Rugby is the one with the most. It will be pretty hard defending the Shield & NPC crown next year.

Gone are: Taumoepeau, Witcombe, Ali Williams, McDonald, Mika, Devine, Gibson, Lavea*, Tuitupou & Ward.

but with the amount of talent coming through the junior ranks, we'll still be a force to be reckoned with.

Mind you to all the NH people on forum, NZ are the real poachers! We steal our players from Samoa, Tonga & Fiji along with their families while they are little (or even before they're born) and settle them in NZ.

The only paltry thing we give in return is a good education and a lifetime of rugby training.

NZ are the real poaching destroyers, not the NH. Get it right guys, lol. :p

It looks as though Larkham will now finish his career in Japan.

It's just a shame that the Brumbies already filled their roster because the Japanese season doesn't start until May/June so there was the opportunity to try and persuade him to play another Super 14 season.

He might've considered it after missing out on the bulk of the World Cup.

As for Peter Hewat - well, he had a big cry because for some reason he believes he deserves to play for the Wallabies even though he defends like a touch footballer.

Japan!! not bad.

Couldnt be bothered wasting his time with another wooden spoon season with the Reds.

Japan!! not bad.

Couldnt be bothered wasting his time with another wooden spoon season with the Reds.
[/b]

Nah, Larkham would never play for another Australian team. Which is something I like about the old-heads such as Larkham, Gregan, Paul, George Smith and co. - they were/are committed to the Brumbies.

Dan Vickerman on the other hand... but that's another story...

Anyways, I think the Reds filled their roster too.

I think the Japanese competition will be good for him. Won't be as physical.

He's already suffered enough injuries for a lifetime.

oh! ****..sorry my bad.

I thought we were talking about Latham. I always mix up this two - Larkham & Latham.... :wall:

Yep, I agree about the Japanese comp. should be suited to Larkham's bandaged body.

Latest posts