• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

@tagging people

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Would it be useful to be able to @tag user names on the forum?

It's a big old place, and sometimes the forum moves really fast, so things get missed, if you could tag who was maybe missing from the conversation they could catch it later.

As an example, a law discussion is going on, and you want smartcooky to offer an opinion you tag @smartcooky

I guess it's open for abuse if people are in an argument, but it could be really useful.

Have no idea how hard to implement it would be, but it's just a suggestion.

I like this idea. But can we add that if someone adds you, you get a notification.

The TRF app is pretty handy in that respect, whenever a person has quoted me, I get a notification that someone has quoted my post. and I then stay in the loop of the discussion.

Think this is a great idea. This is a social medium and sometimes you want input or want to bring someone into the discussion or direct a point at someone without having to look for a post to quote. Nice.

agree it needs some kind of notification - maybe just like reputation notification it just lights up when you log in.

I've never seen that work on a forum, that's a very Twitterish thing. I'm not saying it can't be done and I do like the idea, but I don't recall ever seeing it and therefore I don't know if its possible.

There is a mod for it and have seen it being used on a forum so time ago. It is a good suggestion and I'm sure something the top dogs will look at.

I've never seen that work on a forum, that's a very Twitterish thing. I'm not saying it can't be done and I do like the idea, but I don't recall ever seeing it and therefore I don't know if its possible.
na but saint's its going everywhere not just twitter. Facebook has started using it and so is youtube and probably google+ too but i dont know, but yeah the thing is growing and it would be a great idea if it did happen

yeah, my basketball forum has had that for a while now. It's alright, but then we're flooded with notifications...I usually just return to the threads that were susceptible of having new replies for me. Users ought to just make an effort to catch others' attention, I bold every username I mention.

I support the idea!

yeah, my basketball forum has had that for a while now. It's alright, but then we're flooded with notifications...I usually just return to the threads that were susceptible of having new replies for me. Users ought to just make an effort to catch others' attention, I bold every username I mention.

My soccer forum
also has that option

:p

If it was done like notifications? Can only @tag once, then spread the love.

Could even just be a flag under rep... Flag for user?

It is possible to use this feature on SMF with a mod. But obviously TRF doesn't run SMF.

sorry for bumping this, but i see the new app (which is great btw) it has a "someone mentioned you" setting for notifications.

how does that work?

sorry for bumping this, but i see the new app (which is great btw) it has a "someone mentioned you" setting for notifications.

how does that work?

I get notifications when quoted.
Agreed btw, new app looks great! Clean and much easier to use.

Hey guys,

The new app has built-in support for mentions.

We've just installed a mentions system into the forum itself so we will have a system here too. This system is seperate to the one on the app so don't be surprised if they work slightly differently.

To tag users on the forum, you will need to put an @ symbol in front of their name, e.g. @TRF_Draggs will tag and notify Draggs.

You will need to make sure you spell the username correctly otherwise the tagging won't work as intended :)

Happy tagging :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

The new app has built-in support for mentions.

We've just installed a mentions system into the forum itself so we will have a system here too. This system is seperate to the one on the app so don't be surprised if they work slightly differently.

To tag users on the forum, you will need to put an @ symbol in front of their name, e.g. @TRF_Draggs will tag and notify Draggs.

You will need to make sure you spell the username correctly otherwise the tagging won't work as intended :)

Happy tagging :)

Great job @TRF_Josh !!

Just as long there are no hashtags coming!!

Last edited by a moderator: