• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

@tagging people

Cheers to the mod team for adding this and just in general really appreciate your work. Without your work I'd wouldn't have one of my favourite sites.

Any way I can turn off notification for "mentions"

I keep getting emailed to my smartphone every time I get tagged. Bloody nuisance

I don't mind it for PMs

@smartcooky You can turn off notifications in your phones app, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Though i'm not sure how it can be annoying when you've only been mentioned 3 times so far :)

***oops now it's four***

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive also been getting email notifications for threads I have posted in but I already figured how to turn those off

Any way I can turn off notification for "mentions"

I keep getting emailed to my smartphone every time I get tagged. Bloody nuisance

I don't mind it for PMs

Yeah I'd rather opt out of this mentioning as well, I really don't like being tagged like I'm some kind of a dog that needs to come running whenever anyone wants me in a thread or to mention me especially in topics I have no interest in, if someone really needs to hear my thoughts on a subject they'll PM me.

thanks to the IT staff btw. Appreciate any effort put into making this place better for us all.

Yeah I'd rather opt out of this mentioning as well, I really don't like being tagged like I'm some kind of a dog that needs to come running whenever anyone wants me in a thread or to mention me especially in topics I have no interest in, if someone really needs to hear my thoughts on a subject they'll PM me.

I don't think that's what it's for. I think it's mostly a way to reply to a person without quoting their entire post (as sometimes you just want to say 'I agree' or 'well-said', and nothing more). It lets you know when someone replies directly to you in a discussion, which can really be helpful because sometimes I forget that I've even posted in certain threads so never get back to them to see if someone replied to me.

das

@dasNdanger exactly.

you don't have to respond if you don't want to.... Anyway it can be turned off so no need to worry.

The kids have grown up and the granddad's will just need to keep up. :D

Why are you asking us? YOU'RE the smartcooky... ;)

:D

das

I thought this was a support thread.

I've been through all the settings. I can't find any way to turn it off

Looks like I'll have to set up my TRF profile with my throw away gmail address so that these things can be sent into a black hole!

Firstly, please keep this on topic, any O/T posts will be removed.

Secondly, I will ask the other admin if this can be disabled/changed.

I thought this was a support thread.

The only support you'll find in these parts are jockstraps and brassieres.

;)

In all seriousness, I wonder if you just turn off all your e-mail notifications (from users and admins) to see if that would work.

das

Last edited:
On the app, you can adjust what notifications you choose to receive (quote, mention, PM). I have all email notifications disabled, so not sure if this also helps to stop emails for mentions.

I know you want me to keep it on topic but :D :

[video=youtube_share;qX-f8KqLCqc]http://youtu.be/qX-f8KqLCqc[/video]

@smartcooky in the top left of the app, is three bars, click/tap on them then tap on notifications, once in notifications click on the cogs in the top right untick whatever you don't' want to receive notifications for.

(this is in android)

I know you want me to keep it on topic but :D :

{video snipped}

@smartcooky in the top left of the app, is three bars, click/tap on them then tap on notifications, once in notifications click on the cogs in the top right untick whatever you don't' want to receive notifications for.

(this is in android)

Thank you for taking the time to find this, but, this is only useful if getting smartphone notifications was the problem. Yes, I do sometimes access TRF using Tapatalk, and while the method you have given here does not work because Tapatalk does not have this three bar button you are talking about, I nonetheless have figured out how to kill notifications (More > Settings > Notification > Receive Notification - uncheck box) this only disables the "beep" notifications for PM and subscribed topics on the smartphone.

But in any case, this is not the problem I am having, which is, every time I get mentioned, the forum software sends me an email. This email appears in both the email app (on my smartphone) and in my home computer. Similarly, the forum sends me an email if I get Repped or if someone send me a PM.

This is the typical content of a "mentions" email...

[TEXTAREA] Dear smartcooky,

goodNumber10 has mentioned you!

-----------
I know you want me to keep it on topic but:

http://youtu.be/qX-f8KqLCqc
smartcooky in the top left of the app, is three bars, click/tap on them then tap on notifications, once in notifications click on the cogs in the top right untick whatever you don't' want to receive notifications for.

(this is in android)
-----------

You can view the full post here: http://www.therugbyforum.com/showpost.php?p=683154

To see a full list of mentions, click here: http://www.therugbyforum.com/usertag.php?do=profilenotif&tab=mentions

All the best,
The Rugby Forum

Reply, Reply all or Forward | More

[/TEXTAREA]

I can figure out how to turn off email notifications for PMs, which is done at Settings > General Settings > Private Messaging (check the "Don't receive Email Notification of new Private Messages" radio button) but the setting of this radio button does not change the other notifications.

I have come up with a workaround in the meantime. I have installed a filter (at the server end) on my email, that selects out any arriving email with the phrase "You have been mentioned at" in the subject line and dumps it straight in the trash.

PS: if you think I'm some kind of "grandad" who doesn't understand computers and technology, think again. I started using computers in 1980. I used to write software for automatic control of astronomical telescopes and for analysis of photometric data from instruments attached to those telescopes. I did this in 6502 Assembly Language, which I would type directly in at the keyboard interface; no assembler programs, no compilers, I typed it in longhand! I could read a block of that hexadecimal code the same way that you read a paragraph in magazine article.

I am very well versed in "tinkering out" less than obvious settings in software, but this one has me stumped. There just does not appear to be any way to do this. The documentation for the vBulletin v4 "Advanced Tagging" mod says it should be possible....

[TEXTAREA]General:

Ability to tag all your friends by checking a checkbox instead of typing out usernames
Ability to tag and mention all usergroups by typing out the usergroup name, permissions control what UGs can be mentioned and tagged
Turn off alerts from everyone except friends
Hide forum notifications for individual features
Turn off email alerts for individual features
Hash tags, Twitter-style, add a topic to your post, sends notification to subscribed users
(vB4) Forum Sidebar block with Recent & Trending hash tags
(vB4) Mentions in posts visible in the Mobile Style (4.1.12+)
Turn tag list off
Control number of users displayed on Top X Stats
Hide "@" on mentions
Additional BBCode (Bold, Italic, Highlight) for mentions
Exclude usergroups from features
Exclude users from features
Control what usergroups can use "Hash Tags"[/TEXTAREA]

....but if there is, I can't find it!

We have top men working on it.

Top%20Men.gif

AKA, this has been brought forward to the tech side of admin.

PS: if you think I'm some kind of "grandad" who doesn't understand computers and technology, think again. I started using computers in 1980. I used to write software for automatic control of astronomical telescopes and for analysis of photometric data from instruments attached to those telescopes. I did this in 6502 Assembly Language, which I would type directly in at the keyboard interface; no assembler programs, no compilers, I typed it in longhand! I could read a block of that hexadecimal code the same way that you read a paragraph in magazine article.

hptj.jpg

anyway it was a joke, you don't' always have to go on the attack you know, you could just laugh at yourself from time to time...

Anyway, hopefully they will sort it for you, i can see it's bothering you.