• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Talk About Your Teams!

nadoss

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Rebels
Hey, this is my second season following the Super XV from California, and after such an exciting year last year, I'm ready for a new one ASAP. The best thing for me, is around 11 pm or midnight, when I'm still totally awake, there's NOTHING on TV except for reruns of Futurama and South Park, of which I've seen every episode by now... (Damn you college free time) Anyway, I digress...

This thread is to help me get my friends and roommates into Super XV. The hardest thing I've ever had to do in sports was figure out which of the teams is MY team. In the states you like the team your dad liked, or you like the team whose stadium is only a short drive from your town. But neither of those apply to us for rugby.

So here's the idea, I'd like to hear about the teams, in a way that I can describe them to my roommates. For example
(49ers: They have a great run defense and a young team, their QB is just starting to mature, but they're offense is still a bit slow)

You know, except with rugby...

Chiefs:
Highlanders:
Crusaders:
Blues:
Hurricanes:

Rebels:
Reds:
Waratahs:
Western Force:
Brumbies:

Bulls:
Cheetahs:
Lions:
Sharks:
Stormers:

Ok,

Chiefs: exciting backline: Leonard, Cruden, Masaga, Kahui, SBW, Nanai Williams, Robinson.
Forwards: Eliot, Schwalger, Clarke, Messam, Scotty Waldrom, Latimer, Frits Lee & Sam Cane + a new head coach.

The cool thing about The Chiefs is that they are sooooooo unpredictable :), no serious. A decent team that can upset in both ways.

All the other teams are for glory hunters ;)

Keep and eye out over the next couple of weeks, as the TRF Staff will be producing a detailed season preview for each and every team!

Until then, I can give you a brief description of the style of play and strengths/weakness of the NZ Teams:

Highlanders: An improving team, with hard working tight-forwards and a dynamic loose forward trio. Some exciting outside backs will mean they should score more tries this year than in previous years. Not a team full of stars, so will rely on hard-work/team-work to earn victories.

Crusaders: A team with strength throughout the park, and no real weaknesses. Can match (and dominate) any team in the forwards, but also have the backline to cut any team apart, and have the premier 10 in the world to direct them around the park in Dan Carter. As usual will start the season as favourites to win the ***le.

Hurricanes: A very young team due to a mass clean out of players over the last season. Lack experience in key positions, and despite having a few class players sprinkled throughout their team (e.g. Vito, Smith, and Jane) are expected to really struggle this season.

Chiefs: A team with an incredibly talented backline, and plenty of quality loose-forward options. However the lack of a quality tight-five may mean the back-line will not get enough quality ball to fully play to their potential.

Blues: A team full of quality players that never seems to perform to its potential. The forward pack is stacked with All Blacks, and the backline is full of dangerous attacking players. Traditionally the problem has been the lack of a quality 10 to drive the team around the park, but it is hoped that new recruit Piri Weepu (though usually a 9) may provided the control they need this season.

Cool, thanks. This should really help, I wish I could get this kind of thing for every tournament! Now I just need to hope I get a couple Aussies and South Africans too. My roommate has friends from Australia so he'll likely be picking one of their teams but everyone else are wild cards.

Ok, I'll start with the South African teams, and my fellow compatriots, should please add or help or change wherever I said something inaccurate about their teams, as this is purely a subjective view from my side.

I'll Start with My Fav Team:
The Bulls: Known for their forward dominated play and great scrumhalves. The Bulls won the last 2 Super 14 ***les before it became the super 15 last year and has produced legends like, Victor Matfield & Fourie Du Preez. Now they have one of the most electrifying players in the world in Francois Hougaard who can play scrumhalf and wing (and the occasional centre). Morne Steyn, the cool and calm fly half who rarely misses when kicking at goal, had the best kicking ratio at the world cup last year. They are however in a building phase this year with 5 great players either retiring or going to Japan to finish their career there. Guys to watch out for this year: Francois Hougaard, Arno Botha, CJ Stander, Johan Sadie & JJ Engelbrecht.

The Cheetahs: Almost every South African rugby fan's 2nd favourite team. Relatively new to the Super Rugby Format, they used to be combined with the Lions and was called the Cats. the Cheetahs who get most of their players from the best rugby high school in the Country, Grey Kollege Bloemfontein. They are a real mixed breed and have some great talent everywhere, but for some reason they are not consistent in performance. has the ability to upset the big guns in Super Rugby, especially when they play at home. their pitch is rock hard and their players even more so. they have one of the best fetchers in the world in Heinrich Brussouw, one of the fastest props I've ever seen in Coenie Oosthuizen, a real stalwart if he's fit in Juan Smith. BUT, the main focus point this year will be on their young Fly Half, Marius Goosen, this youngster can kick the ball a mile. he made a drop goal last year just under the 70m mark!! he's a great running fly-half and he doesn't stand back on defence. Everyone in SA are already saying that he's the next Springbok Legend.

The Lions: They won the local Currie Cup last year, with only 1 World Cup Springbok in their squad in Butch James. they are oozing with potential with mostly young guys, who are hungry as lions to play rugby. they have an Iconic captain in Josh Strauss (he had a big beard which he wasn't allowed to shave because his girlfriend was afraid other girls might lure him away). The Lions has a great coach in John Mitchell (New Zealander) and likes to play running rugby, and with Elton Jantjes at fly half, they get great ball to their elusive backs. Another guy to watch out for is Jaco Taute at Fullback. very fast, can kick with both feet, great tackler and a strong runner.

The Sharks: home of the BEAST, BISMARCK and Pat Lambie as well as the BoneCrusher Willem Alberts. of all the SA teams, they look the most polished and dangerous for this year's tournament. With John Smit out of the picture, Bismarck will start most games, if not all and show the world once again why he's so brilliant. The Sharks have a massive forward pack, driven by their all-springbok front row in Beast, Bismarck & Jannie Du Plessis. they have some elusive runners in Ryan Kankowski and Keegan Daniel, and some hard hitters in Willem Alberts and Jean Deysel. they have some real speed out wide in Lwazi Mvovo and JP Pietersen, and whether they play Pat Lambie at fly half, centre or Full back, he will show his class. a real formidable team!

The Stormers: Some say they are the team to watch this year again for SA, especially after they finished top of the SA conference last year. what has always been a major problem for the Stormers are their tight five, 1 for being not so tight (Andries Bekker is more in the back line than at rucks) and 2 their front row isn't that strong. maybe this year it will be different with the signing of springbok prop Deon Carstens. one thing the Stormers are known for is their backline and with guys like Juan De Jongh, Jean De Villiers, Gio Aplon and Bryan Habana, all springboks, you need to get the ball to them to cause some havoc! they have a Talisman Captain in Schalk Burger, who in many circles should also be the next Springbok Captain. A very dangerous team with ball in hand, and had one of the best defense systems in last year's tournament. a very tough team to beat and a real contender.

Most people say the top 3 teams in the SA conference will be the Sharks, Stormers and Bulls... but all 5 are as strong as the other one. this year I'm afraid my team might finish last in the conference... who knows, all i can say is that this tournament should now Start!!

Cool, if anyone agrees, disagrees, or has anything to add, please do so. Also, I need an Aussie to do something here, and I'll have all the teams. My roommate and I read through all of the teams, and ended up equating them to some American teams. For example, the Hurricanes have been deemed similar to the "Sacramento Kings" (basketball) or the "San Diego Padres" (baseball) or the Edmonton Oilers (hockey). Hurricanes fans, don't take that the wrong way, the two people who decided on that were a Kings and a Padres fan, and the Oilers aren't playing poorly at all this year.

I will give you a basic idea of the Australian teams then, this is the order I think they will finish in the Australian conference in 2012.

Reds: The defending champions of the first Super 15 ***le! They have Wallabies all over the team. The Wallabies caption in the forwards, and number 8's able to run as fast as wingers. The back-line is the most exciting back-line in super rugby, with the best number 9 in the world leading it named Will Genia. They have almost all the same players of the winning 2011 team, however there star number 10 Quade Cooper is going to miss the starting 6-7 weeks due to injury. They will make the play off's for sure!

Waratahs: They have always had a strong forward pack, always been in the top 3 teams in defense. They have many Wallabies and have made 2 finals but have not won a ***le yet, both times losing to the 7 time ***le holders the Crusaders. They have lost some key players, yet have gained great players to replace, also some new guns that could excite. They are due for a Super ***le, and should make the play off's also again.

Rebels: This is the new kid on the block, with the 2nd biggest city in Australia behind them. They have people from all over the world in the team, as they are new, also 2 VERY good new Wallabies signings. This team has the players to make the play offs, but lack of experience playing together and 2nd time being a club will hurt them in the business end of the season. They have sharp back line in 2012 and decent forward pack.

Force: This will be a rebuilding time for the Force backline, the forward pack is great, could be this year the best in Aus with the way it looks on paper! But loosing O'Conner the star number 10 and the kicker could mean another year of WHAT IFS! I do believe the team has the players and the support, they have many close games, and compete in every match, many 1 point loses I remember and 1 point wins! They have never made a play off, yet had many chances to do so and failed.

Brumbies: This is the most successful Aus team, winning 2 ***les back in 2001 and 2004. Also coming 2nd in 1997, 2000 and 2002, then 3rd/4th in 2003. However ever since the star players of the 1999 RWC winning Wallabies and 2003 runner up RWC winning Wallabies left to greener field, the Brumbies have never been a power house as they use to be. Now loosing Elson and AAC to the Waratahs, also Matt Giteau to France. This Brumbies team will be in a rebuilding year again, they might win even the wooden spoon for finishing last in 2012. They have good history and great supporters, however in attack and defense 2012 they have not really anything to give.

Last edited:
Cool, if anyone agrees, disagrees, or has anything to add, please do so. Also, I need an Aussie to do something here, and I'll have all the teams. My roommate and I read through all of the teams, and ended up equating them to some American teams. For example, the Hurricanes have been deemed similar to the "Sacramento Kings" (basketball) or the "San Diego Padres" (baseball) or the Edmonton Oilers (hockey). Hurricanes fans, don't take that the wrong way, the two people who decided on that were a Kings and a Padres fan, and the Oilers aren't playing poorly at all this year.

I don't know if there are any Hurricanes fans left ;) Many seem disillusioned with the franchise, and blame coach Mark Hammett for the teams poor performances last season, and the raft of departures (world class players such as Andrew Hore and Ma'a Nonu were not wanted this season!).

South Africa

Stormers
(Cape Town, Western Cape Province- Newlands stadium)
Oldest club in SA and though the most successful (over time) has struggled the last couple of decades and have an 11 years empty trophy cabinet at top level rugby. Age groups are usualyy top though and our clubs, schools and universities are dominant with an exception here and there.
Have the stingiest defence and look to strangle opposition defensively. That said, while our backline is loaded with test players we have a habit of not scoring too many tires and end up losing out on bonus points for scoring 4 or more tires. Have talent and depth across the backline except where it matters; halfbacks. Our halfback are good enough though far from the best in the competition and it shows at times. While I would have argued that we had the best loose forward combination in the tournament last year, we lost a key player to Europe and it remains to be seen how it will effect the balance of our loose forward trio. Like with the halfbacks we have a decent tight five and though we have great locks (though young) we have a bit of a 'light'front row and get found out by the better teams in this department. Have lost a number of good players and while we still have a good starting XV we might struggle with depth if injuries hit but we do have good up-and-coming players and are banking on our youngsters to step up. Their most astute technical adviser has left them for the season. Will the Stormers be able to go that one step ahead after being in favourable position the last two years only to fall over the last hurdle? IE can they man-up when it counts?

Sharks (Durban, Kwazulu-Natal Province- Kings Park stadium)
Perenial underachievers in Super rugby; has made the play-offs numerous times without going the distance. All Springbok frontrow and crazy (quality) depth in the loose forwards but they could use better quality locks and have lost their best option to Europe. Dangerous backline with exciting young flyhalf but they need a worldclass scrumhalf and two centers. Rely on a ball-in-hand gameplan and keeping the ball away from the opposition while relying on interplay between forwards and backs with the bruising forwards providing go-forward ball/momentum to set up the backs' running game. Can they shore up their weaknesses enough to give themselves a chance at the end and add enough tactical nouse to their play to pull through at last?

Blue Bulls (Pretoria/Tswane, Gauteng, Loftus Versfeld stadium)
SA's most successful team in Super rugby having won the tournament 3 out of the last 5 years. Have this year lost a whole raft of world class players due to age. Whil they have planned well and have able replacements in all the key positions where they lost players it remains to be seen what effect the loss of experience and leadership wil have on their performances. They have given their back-up decent exposure over the last two years and have made some smart investments in promising youngsters and this will be the year for them to make the step up or work towards the next year, we'll have to see. They have based their success around tactical play and dominat set-piece play (particularly line-out), playing for dominant field position through the accurate kicking game of their class halfbacks and up-and-under kicks in the opponent's area putting pressure on them to make a mistake and then scoring off it (penalties just as much as going for the try) but with one piece of the puzzle gone it remains to be seen if they change/adapt/or stick to what has worked for them in the past. Have lost their influential director of rugby to the national coaching position (will be announced today). How will the Bulls usher in a new era?

Cheetahs (Bloemfontein, Orange Free State, Bloemfontein stadium)
The poorest of the SA sides being in a relatively small and isolated city. Though they are rugby mad and produce great players also having the undesputed king of SA rugby schools, they lose their best players year in and year out to other SA sides and overseas. This translates to them having to take time every year for the team to gel and they always struggle at the start of the season. This year they have lost less players than in previous years though and will hope to finally be able to build on the momentum they gain towrds the end of seasons. They have a brilliant looseforwards and very good front row they lack in the lcok department. Not well known or big-name players in the backline but they work well and have an exciting young flyhalf to direct them. The Cheetahs play an up-tempo game and look to beat their opponents with pace. Have perhaps the best workrate at the breakdown of the SA sides. Is this year the year they can maintain some momentum? Their defence is their biggest concern and they lost too many close games. If they can sneak the close games and shore up the defence they could easily top the SA conference.

Lions (Johannesburg, Gauteng, Ellis Park stadium)
Perrenial bottom-loggers, the Lions went from not winning a single game in 2010 to an improved performance in 2011 and winning the SA domestic championship (Curry Cup) under their new no-nonsense Kiwi coach. Lost tons of good players in the lean years though they are a franchise with money being in the financial capital of Africa. The last two years have been building years and young guys buying into their coaches plans. They spread the ball wide and rely on fast ball being produced by forwards or on the counter-attack. Not the biggest names but some exciting developments. The question is can they build on their success in the Curry cup or was that just due to the other SA teams being disrupted by injury and losing star players to the national team and not having the continuity that the Lions had throughout the Curry Cup? I beilieve their young players might have found the belief they lacked in previous years but they still lack some of the experience and talent of the other SA sides though they probably have the best team-work/ethic of the SA sides. Their style is suited to summer Super rugby but can they keep their belief (a few early losses and they might revert to their bad habbits) and do they have the depth to remain competitive in a very long series?

Last edited:
Ok, I'll start with the South African teams, and my fellow compatriots, should please add or help or change wherever I said something inaccurate about their teams, as this is purely a subjective view from my side.

I'll Start with My Fav Team:
The Bulls: Known for their forward dominated play and great scrumhalves. The Bulls won the last 2 Super 14 ***les before it became the super 15 last year and has produced legends like, Victor Matfield & Fourie Du Preez. Now they have one of the most electrifying players in the world in Francois Hougaard who can play scrumhalf and wing (and the occasional centre). Morne Steyn, the cool and calm fly half who rarely misses when kicking at goal, had the best kicking ratio at the world cup last year. They are however in a building phase this year with 5 great players either retiring or going to Japan to finish their career there. Guys to watch out for this year: Francois Hougaard, Arno Botha, CJ Stander, Johan Sadie & JJ Engelbrecht.

The Cheetahs: Almost every South African rugby fan's 2nd favourite team. Relatively new to the Super Rugby Format, they used to be combined with the Lions and was called the Cats. the Cheetahs who get most of their players from the best rugby high school in the Country, Grey Kollege Bloemfontein. They are a real mixed breed and have some great talent everywhere, but for some reason they are not consistent in performance. has the ability to upset the big guns in Super Rugby, especially when they play at home. their pitch is rock hard and their players even more so. they have one of the best fetchers in the world in Heinrich Brussouw, one of the fastest props I've ever seen in Coenie Oosthuizen, a real stalwart if he's fit in Juan Smith. BUT, the main focus point this year will be on their young Fly Half, Marius Goosen, this youngster can kick the ball a mile. he made a drop goal last year just under the 70m mark!! he's a great running fly-half and he doesn't stand back on defence. Everyone in SA are already saying that he's the next Springbok Legend.

The Lions: They won the local Currie Cup last year, with only 1 World Cup Springbok in their squad in Butch James. they are oozing with potential with mostly young guys, who are hungry as lions to play rugby. they have an Iconic captain in Josh Strauss (he had a big beard which he wasn't allowed to shave because his girlfriend was afraid other girls might lure him away). The Lions has a great coach in John Mitchell (New Zealander) and likes to play running rugby, and with Elton Jantjes at fly half, they get great ball to their elusive backs. Another guy to watch out for is Jaco Taute at Fullback. very fast, can kick with both feet, great tackler and a strong runner.

The Sharks: home of the BEAST, BISMARCK and Pat Lambie as well as the BoneCrusher Willem Alberts. of all the SA teams, they look the most polished and dangerous for this year's tournament. With John Smit out of the picture, Bismarck will start most games, if not all and show the world once again why he's so brilliant. The Sharks have a massive forward pack, driven by their all-springbok front row in Beast, Bismarck & Jannie Du Plessis. they have some elusive runners in Ryan Kankowski and Keegan Daniel, and some hard hitters in Willem Alberts and Jean Deysel. they have some real speed out wide in Lwazi Mvovo and JP Pietersen, and whether they play Pat Lambie at fly half, centre or Full back, he will show his class. a real formidable team!

The Stormers: Some say they are the team to watch this year again for SA, especially after they finished top of the SA conference last year. what has always been a major problem for the Stormers are their tight five, 1 for being not so tight (Andries Bekker is more in the back line than at rucks) and 2 their front row isn't that strong. maybe this year it will be different with the signing of springbok prop Deon Carstens. one thing the Stormers are known for is their backline and with guys like Juan De Jongh, Jean De Villiers, Gio Aplon and Bryan Habana, all springboks, you need to get the ball to them to cause some havoc! they have a Talisman Captain in Schalk Burger, who in many circles should also be the next Springbok Captain. A very dangerous team with ball in hand, and had one of the best defense systems in last year's tournament. a very tough team to beat and a real contender.

Most people say the top 3 teams in the SA conference will be the Sharks, Stormers and Bulls... but all 5 are as strong as the other one. this year I'm afraid my team might finish last in the conference... who knows, all i can say is that this tournament should now Start!!

Have to agree with everything here; CHeetahs are my 2nd team as well LOL. It's Johan Goosen though, not Marius.

I don't know if there are any Hurricanes fans left ;) Many seem disillusioned with the franchise, and blame coach Mark Hammett for the teams poor performances last season, and the raft of departures (world class players such as Andrew Hore and Ma'a Nonu were not wanted this season!).

Sounds like Kings/Padres fans

Chiefs score the best tries in the competition, so are a fun team to watch and have as a 'second' team, but you never want them to be your first team, because they also make very basic errors on occasion, and look border line imbecilic at times.

A bit more on the area and the people <- this is my opinion only and did it just for the fun

Bulls: Pretoria, capital of South Africa. Very Afrikaans speaking area, got the hottest girls by far in my opinion. Picturous city called the City of the Jacaranda and in spring time an aerial view look like a carpet of purple flowers.
Very good management, structures. Decent stadium and sponsors, very passionate fan base. Traditional hate teams - Sharks and Stormers (WP)

pretoria-01.jpg
pretoria-02.jpg
LoftusVersfeldPretoria-300x204.jpg

http://www.sa-venues.com/attractionsga/pretoria-metro.htm

Lions: Johannesburg, financial centre in South Africa. Only 60 kilometres away from Pretoria. The business heart of the country. Called the "City in the forest" due to the lush vegetation and an aerial view shows a green carpet. Great stadium in a disgusting part of town, hence it being so empty most of the times. I will not park my car there but will grab the opportunity to visit going via sponsor or corporate invites. Rumours of financial trouble currently doing the rounds.Traditional hate teams - no one in particular but I don't think they like their neighbours very much

johannesburg_city_aerial_big.jpg
ellispark_1-300x216.jpg

http://www.sa-venues.com/attractionsga/johannesburg-metro.htm

Cheetahs: Bloemfontein, medium sized city in this province with lots of farming activities. Girls outnumber the guys 6 to 1 at Kovsies, the local university. Traditionally a very Afrikaans speaking region based on the farming activities. My issue is that even when a Springbok game is hosted there, the stadium is not always full. Lot's of supporters second team. Can't seem to ever see them fulling their potential due to lack of proper sponsors and young people leaving the region to persue careers in the bigger cities. Traditional hate teams - Bulls and Sharks

bloemfontein.jpg
683_0_1238081198.jpg

http://www.sa-venues.com/free_state_attractions.htm

Stormers: Cape Town, mother city. Arguably the most beautiful area in South Africa. Afrikaans and English both prevalent but lot's of immigrants staying here. Very expensive city.Passionate supporters but the downside is a lot of theses faithful supporters, mostly the coloured community, also support the All Blacks and not the Springboks: Well established management team, but set in their ways, as Rassie Erasmus just had enough off. Traditional hate team - Bulls. Tend to be the second team for the Sharks supporters
cape-town.jpg
WP_Newlands_170907.jpg

http://www.sa-venues.com/wcattrac.htm
Sharks: Durban - surfing capital, awesome weather, holiday destination of choice for most people in Gauteng (Lions and Bulls) and the Cheetahs from the Free state. Predominantly English speaking territory and the this is the area that was know as " The Last Outpost" for the British and the huge Indian community landed here by sea vessels 150 years ago. Good academy and established management team. Traditional hate team - Bulls and Cheetahs . Tend to be the second team for the Stormers supporters.

durban_beachfront.jpg
SuperStock_4030-4393.jpg

http://www.sa-venues.com/kzn_attractions.htm

Here is a map of the country in order to place the cities in perspective

major-cities-of-south-africa-b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice post, Gena and nice pics.

Just one correction though. The cheetas used to be most peoples 2nd team but after 2005 they are the bulls supporters no1 enemy. And no, it is not because they beat us in the CC final, it is the way they celebrated. (Victor also had some interresting remarks to this in his book) My 2nd team is the sharks (sorry mate, but I still rank your team above the cheets :D).

I know of a lot of people (Not only bull supporters) who used to love the cheetas, but changed their centiment in recent years due to the cheetas abbility to end local teams chances in the S15 by playing supurb rugby, and then give 5 log points on a tray to the foreigners. (just ask the sharks)

Sounds like Kings/Padres fans

I'm a Cane.... will always be one.... even if they end up last.... if i wanted to support a team who won, i would have been a Sader.... i like the canes for the kind of rugby they play.... running rugby... they always had average forwards... so IF the forwards manage to win the ball the backs would +-6/10 times score tries.... so i hope they will cause a few upsets at least this season....

Latest posts