• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Test Match 3: All Blacks v British & Irish Lions (Auckland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland have improved since the last RWC. For years its been the SH that were the top 3 in rugby. Now that the Lions countries are good, I knew this Lions team would be the hardest, probably the best ever assembled. I thought the Lions would win this series, I never posted it or even said it but I knew it would be tough for the All Blacks. We did well to prevent a loss from the finest of the in form nations.

My top 5 best teams in the world right now.

1. All Blacks - Lions
2. Ireland
3. England
4. Wales
5. Scotland
Scotland are better than Wales currently, Ireland and England I think the difference is home advantage between the two sides but overall England are better who have been far more consistent in racking up wins with one loss since the RWC match against Australia.

It was a pen. Not given.

Not sure what conversation went on to change his mind. He'd given the pen, TMO seemed to agree, then he changed his mind all on his own. Owens clearly knew he'd cocked it up. If I never knew better, I think the ref sympathized with the Lions and felt a draw was the best outcome. Barrett would likely have missed any way.

As correct as the refs decision was last week, it was wholly incorrect this week.
Your right. It was a penalty.

People didn't understand how much the ABs come under the microscope. I know hope others on here understand where Im coming from because its real.

England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland have improved since the last RWC. For years its been the SH that were the top 3 in rugby. Now that the Lions countries are good, I knew this Lions team would be the hardest, probably the best ever assembled. I thought the Lions would win this series, I never posted it or even said it but I knew it would be tough for the All Blacks. We did well to prevent a loss from the finest of the in form nations.

My top 5 best teams in the world right now.

1. All Blacks - Lions
2. Ireland
3. England
4. Wales
5. Scotland
Ah come on, your boys were no good after losing SBW, never has such an inaccurate side done so well against NZ, England and Ireland would have had more success Vs that underperforming side. England ahead of us too.

We talked about a lack of experience in the ABs but it wasn't the young guns that underperformed so much. They haven't performed in any of their three tests and I don't think the Lions are 100% responsible for that.

The last 20mins were pretty awful for a neutral, just a mess. I'm glad Farrell made his kicks or we would have had vindication of Gatlands clear preference to kick to victory with Halfpenny.

What is accidental offside if not that? The player instinctively catches the ball as it falls their way there was zero intent to cause a penalty or be offside with the ball.
Not sure if that is how its interpreted. Honestly dunno any more. If he plays it, its intentional, is it not? He's stopped the opposition getting an advantage. He played it then dropped it, knowing he was offside. Its a pen as far as I know.

In my time, it was always accidental offside. That's how it should be. At most, a free kick. These days, they get into World Cup semi finals with laws like this.

Not sure if that is how its interpreted. Honestly dunno any more. If he plays it, its intentional, is it not? He's stopped the opposition getting an advantage. He played it then dropped it, knowing he was offside. Its a pen as far as I know.

In my time, it was always accidental offside. That's how it should be. At most, a free kick. These days, they get into World Cup semi finals with laws like this.
Law 11.6

11.6 Accidental offside
(a)
When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside. If the player's team gains no advantage from this, play continues. If the player's team gains an advantage, a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.12

(b)
When a player hands the ball to a team-mate in front of the first player, the receiver is offside. Unless the receiver is considered to be intentionally offside (in which case a penalty kick is awarded), the receiver is accidentally offside and a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.

I believe he was adjudged to be (b).

Your right. It was a penalty.

People didn't understand how much the ABs come under the microscope. I know hope others on here understand where Im coming from because its real.

"Dictionary definition for
Microscope
1) instrument used to look closely at small objects
2) Truth's favourite word"

Anyway. Did Jordie justify his selection over McKenzie? I felt he did. For the first time.

That's twice we have blown leads. Need to take a good look at the bench and how to use it. It's all a bit predictable at the moment and we are not using it well.

"Dictionary definition for
Microscope
1) instrument used to look closely at small objects
2) Truth's favourite word"
Grammar cop. You get my point though. 4 times the TMO was called in for the ABs. Nil for the Lions. Retallick should've fell over when he got smacked in the head by Warbuton but he moaned to the refs and carried on.

I'm thinking of doing a tribute video for the tour.

In the end by Linkin Park. Everything it says it doesn't even matter just flash up the final score.

I don't like it when anyone does it, but that was the most obvious case I've ever seen. I can't believe the ref seriously awarded a penalty for that.
Well, Crockett does his best to look like a big useless oaf at the best of times, and he was flopping about there. Wasn't much of a replay here, and yes it looked soft, but he did well to slot it from 50 meters. I hate when I see it milked by scrum halves too.

No they don't. If you have to rely on penalties, you're not a proper Rugby team.

Everyone knows this.
Tell this lad. Wrong footed drop to win the big mamma. Then come back and tell me kicks mean nothing. Jonny was an expert. NZ needs some experts kickers like Dan the Man again.

Ah come on, your boys were no good after losing SBW, never has such an inaccurate side done so well against NZ, England and Ireland would have had more success Vs that underperforming side. England ahead of us too.
Yeah big loss was SBW. Nah Ive heard the hype from England so many times its not funny. Theres been a few times they hype themselves up and then we go out and beat them. The last hype was the RWC! and I think its still carrying on now. England has never beaten NZ twice in row in NZ, the Lions almost did that. I'm not too worried about England to be honest based on experience.

Most impressed by Johnathan Davies, was lions back of the series imo.
Looked dangerous with the ball, always going forward, defended well.

Yeah big loss was SBW. Nah Ive heard the hype from England so many times its not funny. Theres been a few times they hype themselves up and then we go out and beat them. The last hype was the RWC! and I think its still carrying on now. England has never beaten NZ twice in row in NZ, the Lions almost did that. I'm not too worried about England to be honest based on experience.
Its a correct assessment. Still, I too wouldn't mind seeing England take on New Zealand, in a similar series, just to get an idea of where they truly stand. They have been the form team in the North.

Anyway. Did Jordie justify his selection over McKenzie? I felt he did. For the first time.
Really? The crossfield gather was good and he made one half break, but also made quite a few mistakes including a kick out on the full. In general D-Mac offers more on attack so Jordie has to be better at the conventional stuff to justify his selection. I personally think the ABS would have won the game with a bit of McKenzie magic.

My big concern is where I am going to get my next proper fix of rugby. I'll have to tune back into Super Rugby, I reckon. Top rugby often played on front of empty stadiums if not involving NZ sides.

Any Tri Nations this year (what do they call that thing these days? Super Galactic Rugby Event or something). Not sure that is going to be all that close this year.

Most impressed by Johnathan Davies, was lions back of the series imo.
Looked dangerous with the ball, always going forward, defended well.
Yep Davies was awesome. A lot of English posters on here doubted him and preferred their own Joseph who was pretty quiet. I haven't seen these guys so Joseph probably is the man but yeah Davies was the best Lion for me. The winger with the small dreads went really well as well. Itoje was slightly overrated, he made no breaks, no big hits, he was just a ball winner, boring. Sinkler another solid player. SOB was good too. I could go on but those were my pick from the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts