• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The 3/10 XBM Review here

L

locksley

XBM MAGAZINE REVIEW â€" RUGBY 2005

It would be easy to dismiss a bad review of a rugby game by suggesting that reviewer has no idea about the sport or the rules! Well, too bad, because we know our sports buddy, and Rugby 2005 still sucks!

Why? Well, how about the dumbest AI we’ve witnessed in a sports game since, well, FIFA Street. Players run in a pack â€" there is no independent thought involved, and try replays often result in comical scenes, packs of defending players running away from the scorer! They drop balls, and balls hit them in the face, fall at their feet and remaining there until the rest of the pack catches up.

EA’s Americanisation of the sport also means that you can’t place the ball down, but actually have to dive to the ground â€" you will actually dive out of bounds occasionally and give a dropkick to the opposition rather than score. And after throw-ins, your players stand around like statues and fail to pick up the loose ball â€" the game is full of bizarre such EA-isms.

We really wanted to like RUGBY 2005; it would have made a change from the football/basketball/ice hockey ***les that drop through our door. As it stands, this is a clumsy and rushed game, that any discerning fan should dropkick into touch!

IAN D

VERDICT
Out of 10

LOOKS â€" 5
SOUNDS â€" 3
GAMEPLAY â€" 2
LIFESPAN â€" 2

OVERALL - 3

Why we’d buy it:
It’s Rugby
Lots of options

Why we’d leave it!
Poor AI
Rubbish controls

End Quote
Rubbish. A step back from Rugby 2004, and for sports games in general!

Originally posted by locksley@Mar 5 2005, 02:06 AM

It would be easy to dismiss a bad review of a rugby game by suggesting that reviewer has no idea about the sport or the rules!  Well, too bad, because we know our sports buddy, and Rugby 2005 still sucks!

Why? Well, how about the dumbest AI we’ve witnessed in a sports game since, well, FIFA Street. Players run in a pack â€" there is no independent thought involved, and try replays often result in comical scenes, packs of defending players running away from the scorer!  They drop balls, and balls hit them in the face, fall at their feet and remaining there until the rest of the pack catches up.

EA’s Americanisation of the sport also means that you can’t place the ball down, but actually have to dive to the ground â€" you will actually dive out of bounds occasionally and give a dropkick to the opposition rather than score. And after throw-ins, your players stand around like statues and fail to pick up the loose ball â€" the game is full of bizarre such EA-isms.

We really wanted to like RUGBY 2005; it would have made a change from the football/basketball/ice hockey ***les that drop through our door.  As it stands, this is a clumsy and rushed game, that any discerning fan should dropkick into touch!

IAN D

VERDICT
Out of 10

LOOKS â€" 5
SOUNDS â€" 3
GAMEPLAY â€" 2
LIFESPAN â€" 2

OVERALL - 3

Why we’d buy it:
It’s Rugby
Lots of options

Why we’d leave it!
Poor AI
Rubbish controls

End Quote
Ok, I'll add my thoughts, in bold, to this review.

It would be easy to dismiss a bad review of a rugby game by suggesting that reviewer has no idea about the sport or the rules! Well, too bad, because we know our sports buddy, and Rugby 2005 still sucks!

This bloke is talking total garbage straight from the off! His later comments prove that he hasn't a clue what he's talking about! I don't claim to know all there is to know about Rugby union, but I obviously know more about it than this tosser..... and he's stating that he knows the sport!

Why? Well, how about the dumbest AI we’ve witnessed in a sports game since, well, FIFA Street. Players run in a pack â€" there is no independent thought involved,

This bloke must've been playing the game on easy! While I agree that yes, there is still some "bunching up", he's way off the mark regarding the AI! Stick it on medium or hard mode and watch the AI make vital tackles, go for gaps, go for Drop Goals at the right time etc!

and try replays often result in comical scenes, packs of defending players running away from the scorer!

What the hell has that comment got to do with the gameplay?

They drop balls, and balls hit them in the face, fall at their feet and remaining there until the rest of the pack catches up.

What???? When? Where? What the hell is he talking about???

EA’s Americanisation of the sport also means that you can’t place the ball down, but actually have to dive to the ground

And? What's "American" about that? Lots of rugby players dive over the tryline! Another daft comment!

you will actually dive out of bounds occasionally and give a dropkick to the opposition rather than score.

********! Utter ********! I've never done this, and I'm sure that people who can actually play the game properly, and not just faff about like IAN D, won't do it either!

And after throw-ins, your players stand around like statues and fail to pick up the loose ball

Throw Ins????? Bloody Throw ins? He's DEFINITELY taking the mickey! And judging by his comment after it, it seems that he actually didn't work out how the line out system works and failed to push the button to make his player jump for the ball!!!

the game is full of bizarre such EA-isms

Eh?

We really wanted to like RUGBY 2005

Yeah mate, sounds it too!

As it stands, this is a clumsy and rushed game, that any discerning fan should dropkick into touch!

Total and utter Rubbish! Is this bloke sure he wasn't playing Rugby 2004 instead?

Originally posted by locksley+Mar 5 2005, 02:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Mar 5 2005, 02:34 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-locksley
@Mar 5 2005, 02:06 AM

It would be easy to dismiss a bad review of a rugby game by suggesting that reviewer has no idea about the sport or the rules!  Well, too bad, because we know our sports buddy, and Rugby 2005 still sucks!

Why? Well, how about the dumbest AI we’ve witnessed in a sports game since, well, FIFA Street. Players run in a pack â€" there is no independent thought involved, and try replays often result in comical scenes, packs of defending players running away from the scorer!  They drop balls, and balls hit them in the face, fall at their feet and remaining there until the rest of the pack catches up.

We really wanted to like RUGBY 2005; it would have made a change from the football/basketball/ice hockey ***les that drop through our door.  As it stands, this is a clumsy and rushed game, that any discerning fan should dropkick into touch!

IAN D

VERDICT
Out of 10

LOOKS â€" 5
SOUNDS â€" 3
GAMEPLAY â€" 2
LIFESPAN â€" 2

OVERALL - 3

Why we’d buy it:
It’s Rugby
Lots of options

Why we’d leave it!
Poor AI
Rubbish controls

End Quote
Ok, I'll add my thoughts, in bold, to this review.

This bloke is talking total garbage straight from the off! His later comments prove that he hasn't a clue what he's talking about! I don't claim to know all there is to know about Rugby union, but I obviously know more about it than this tosser..... and he's stating that he knows the sport!

Why? Well, how about the dumbest AI we’ve witnessed in a sports game since, well, FIFA Street. Players run in a pack â€" there is no independent thought involved,

This bloke must've been playing the game on easy! While I agree that yes, there is still some "bunching up", he's way off the mark regarding the AI! Stick it on medium or hard mode and watch the AI make vital tackles, go for gaps, go for Drop Goals at the right time etc!

and try replays often result in comical scenes, packs of defending players running away from the scorer!

What the hell has that comment got to do with the gameplay?

They drop balls, and balls hit them in the face, fall at their feet and remaining there until the rest of the pack catches up.

What???? When? Where? What the hell is he talking about???

EA’s Americanisation of the sport also means that you can’t place the ball down, but actually have to dive to the ground

And? What's "American" about that? Lots of rugby players dive over the tryline! Another daft comment!

you will actually dive out of bounds occasionally and give a dropkick to the opposition rather than score.

********! Utter ********! I've never done this, and I'm sure that people who can actually play the game properly, and not just faff about like IAN D, won't do it either!

And after throw-ins, your players stand around like statues and fail to pick up the loose ball

Throw Ins????? Bloody Throw ins? He's DEFINITELY taking the mickey! And judging by his comment after it, it seems that he actually didn't work out how the line out system works and failed to push the button to make his player jump for the ball!!!

the game is full of bizarre such EA-isms

Eh?

We really wanted to like RUGBY 2005

Yeah mate, sounds it too!

As it stands, this is a clumsy and rushed game, that any discerning fan should dropkick into touch!

Total and utter Rubbish! Is this bloke sure he wasn't playing Rugby 2004 instead? [/b]
Nice one Locksley! I recon you should send an e-mail to this guy repeating your wise words! He's cleary prejudiced and can't be ar£$ed to review this game properly. I'd sack him if I was the editor!!

ha ha Locks I have not seen you this wound up since Flanker 7. But clearly he does not know what he is talking about.

Total rubbish.

I agree the game "may" need a touch here and there, but this is bar far the best rugby game ever...How can he critisice on a sport that he doesnt know anything about?

He needs to be sacked...He is the only reason i dont wanna by the XBM mag anymore. (is it the official mag?)

And another thing...F*** off back to Puffball land..asswipe.

Nice comments Locksley by the way..well stated.

Anyone reckon his comments about dropped balls could be anything to do with calling set plays and not waiting long enough? Anyone that calls lineouts throw-ins should be dropped quicker than matthew tait...

Originally posted by saintsfan24_7@Mar 5 2005, 04:33 AM
Total rubbish.

I agree the game "may" need a touch here and there, but this is bar far the best rugby game ever...How can he critisice on a sport that he doesnt know anything about?

He needs to be sacked...He is the only reason i dont wanna by the XBM mag anymore. (is it the official mag?)

And another thing...F*** off back to Puffball land..asswipe.

Nice comments Locksley by the way..well stated.
No, XBM is a ******** mag that's as credible as CVG.

Tje official review from OXM is posted here ( http://www.therugbyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1613 ) where it got 8.2

the videos of super 12 are more promising wit some big hits if u look closely!

Diving for a try is an Americanisation of the sport?

I've said it before and I'll gladly say it again: Where's my gun . . .

I'd like to tune this ******* until the string breaks.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 5 2005, 06:04 AM
Diving for a try is an Americanisation of the sport?

I've said it before and I'll gladly say it again: Where's my gun . . .

I'd like to tune this ******* until the string breaks.
That was a very odd comment wasn't it? Anyone who's seen a game of rugby knows that unless a run away try is scored the players almost always dive over the line?!?!?!
I feel it necessary to write an email to this tosser now...

Actually, having watched all the footage, I don't seem to recall any try that was scored by someone just touching the ball down in the tryzone. -- Is this absent from the animations and are all tries scored by diving, or being tackled into the tryzone?

I dunno. But i don't give a toss really. No offense intended Cap'n. I just wanna get the ball down. Although yes it would be good to have the ball placed down when the pressure is off in gameplay but I am not fussed

Originally posted by maddog79@Mar 5 2005, 09:20 AM
I dunno. But i don't give a toss really. No offense intended Cap'n. I just wanna get the ball down. Although yes it would be good to have the ball placed down when the pressure is off in gameplay but I am not fussed
No, I'm not fussed either -- but there is one thing sticking in my craw from that **** review about being in the tryzone and diving over the dead ball line.

I mean, WTF? I can understand being an idiot and running around and getting knocked out, knocking on, running out of the tryzone like a dork on fire but, I don't know, something just doesn't sit right with them diving over the dead ball line.

I'm happy to assume that the guy who wrote the review is a first-class jackoff and must have done something completely un-rugby like for it to happen. Cause the majority (if not all) of his review is crudola.

Originally posted by prc999@Mar 5 2005, 05:48 AM
the videos of super 12 are more promising wit some big hits if u look closely!
the gamebiz site doesn't load on my computer, wtf! can you list all the videos that are available there for me someone please?

10 Min Footage: 10 real minutes (nearly a full match) between Australia and Uruguay in Australia. The guy playing doesn't really seem to know what he's doing, but appears to win (as Australia) 7 - 3 -- Uruguay kicked a thunder of a drop goal.

Super 12's: 3:30 minutes of a Tri-Nations match (complete with logo on the pitch) between ACT and the Crusaders. It's all first half, and it finishes with Larkham scoring a try off a well timed pivot move. 5 - 3.

Australia Scores: an actual replay of a try scored by Australia against Argentina. Kinda pointless, but cool to see Argentina -- not a lot of footage with them in it.

Kicking For Goal: Contepomi sets up, kicks, and misses a penalty for Argentina. He is controlled by the A.I. (the player is Australia) so we see all the movements/cutscenes leading up to kicking a penalty, but we do not see the actual power bar/kicking meter. Of note, I think the commentary sounds very cut n' paste in this one.
<

I'm sorry chaps, but this guy CLEARLY states that "WE" know the sport, that doesn't mean he knows the sport.... also, i can understand his reservations bout the ai, it did seem kinda dumb in the clips... but still, he is overly critical bout the game as far as i can see. i dunno why the cpu keeps running back to the middle, and please DON'T tell me its for support ppl! bull ****. we all know it's a bug! I will still buy this game though, only because i love rugby, and quite frankly, i think this game has alot to offer in multiplayer mode... of course i'll be able to judge alot better when i have the game.

I fail to see why someone would write such a scathing review unless they are:

1. Taking out a personal vendetta against rugby gamers.

or

2. They are correct, or are at least conveying there honest expierince of the game.

I must admit that whenever I get a new rugby game, the initial excitement has me refusing to believe it is crap, until this slowly wears off and I see the game for what it is. This guy could be providing the perspective of someone who has no real interest in the game, and therefore sees it for what it is. While I find his review short, far too general and not very informative at all, the fact of the matter is, if this has been published in a magazine, then he has been payed to do it, and it also got past the editor and however many people proof read it. They cant all hate us, can they? Anyway, I dont want to believe this guy any more than you do and am just playing the devils advocate. Locksleys review is what I hoped and dreamed of, but this review is what I expected. What the guy said about the AI and with the bunching and so-on sounds exactly like 2004, but locksley said the AI was not only improved but smart, I want to believe, but have suffered at the hands of EA to many times.

Latest posts