• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the best back row?

D

DHW412

i was just wondering if anyone agrees with me that this is the best back row

6- ryan jones
7- richie McCaw
8- sergio parisse

they may not be the best individual players but i believe they would compliment each other well as a unit. do you agree?

Another best of - well I don't know the NH guys well enough to comment, but you really can't go too far wrong with Richie at 7. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DHW412 @ Dec 6 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i was just wondering if anyone agrees with me that this is the best back row

6- ryan jones
7- richie McCaw
8- sergio parisse

they may not be the best individual players but i believe they would compliment each other well as a unit. do you agree?[/b]
Replace Jones - who has been average in the AI's - with one of Powell, Collins (despite retirement), Smith or Burger, and you have it spot on.

6 George Smith
7 Richie McCaw
8 Rodney So'oialo

Whoever is suggesting Powell; don't get me wrong he was a real find for Wales and looks like an excellent player. But there are still creases to iron out of his performance; don't forget the management took him off against Australia because he was giving away too many silly penalties. Not world class quite yet...

Mate, you wouldn't pick a Welshman in your World XV (or any XV besides a Welsh one, for that matter) if your life depended on it, so lets not sugar-coat it with the whole 'not yet' treatment, mmkay?

What are you on about Speedy? Powell was mentioned in your post with the likes of Collins, Burger and Smith. Don't start with that anti-Welsh nonsense. GG rightfully stated why Powell can't rub shoulders with them yet. He still has much to prove compared to those 3 rugby hardmen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 6 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What are you on about Speedy? Powell was mentioned in your post with the likes of Collins, Burger and Smith. Don't start with that anti-Welsh nonsense. GG rightfully stated why Powell can't rub shoulders with them yet. He still has much to prove compared to those 3 rugby hardmen.[/b]
Despite running rings around Burger in their meeting?
I'm not saying Powell isn't flawed - his flaws were clear against Biarritz last night -, but GG has a history, at least with me, of being anti-Welsh.

Yes despite him "running rings around Burger" eventhough I don't remember him doing that.
Powell has nothing on the those 3 players.
Burger won the world player of the year award when he was 21, he's won a WC and he's nearly hit 50 caps for the Boks.
So far on the international stage Powell has 3 caps (?) and 1 win under his belt.
Uncomparable.
Get that chip off your shoulder.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 6 2008, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes despite him "running rings around Burger" eventhough I don't remember him doing that.
Burger won the world player of the year award when he was 21, he's won a WC and he's nearly hit 50 caps for the Boks.
So far on the international stage Powell has 3 caps (?) and 1 win under his belt.
Uncomparable.
Get that chip off your shoulder.[/b]
The 'running rings' comment is a metaphor. If I remember correctly, Burger had a horrible game against us - and Scotland, though I don't expect you saw that, either - whereas Powell was fantastic.

Oh, but Powell didn't score on his debut either - did he? - so he must be rubbish...
He's the best eight in the NH, buddy, which is why I put him there. Maybe not that consistent, yet, but he played the best out of any NH 8 in the AI's...

In future, I'll just keep my comments to myself, since I get picked up on nearly every comment where I say positive things about my country and its players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 6 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 6 2008, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uncomparable.
Get that chip off your shoulder.[/b]
The 'running rings' comment is a metaphor. If I remember correctly, Burger had a horrible game against us - and Scotland, though I don't expect you saw that, either - whereas Powell was fantastic.

Oh, but Powell didn't score on his debut either - did he? - so he must be rubbish...
He's the best eight in the NH, buddy, which is why I put him there. Maybe not that consistent, yet, but he played the best out of any NH 8 in the AI's...

In future, I'll just keep my comments to myself, since I get picked up on nearly every comment where I say positive things about my country and its players.
[/b][/quote]
Oh you're more than welcome to convey your opinion, but why don't you practice that same judgement concerning gingers' post?
All he said was "Not world class quite yet...". Yet being the key word. He wasn't being outright malicious.
Powell still has to show he can keep up those performance and that he can play well away from home.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Dec 6 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Powell still has to show he can keep up those performance and that he can play well away from home.[/b]

He's showing great stuff and maybe he WILL BE among the best in his role.... but still 3 caps are not much to state he IS among the best NOW.

Fairly straight forward for me

6-Burger
7-McCaw
8-Parisse

Of course its always tough to leave out George Smith, he should grow those dreadloacks again ..

Im a fan of Powell, but jumping on the bandwagon after a few games if daft, in saying he is world class anyway. Last night he was rubbish, however he does have a wonderful style of play, just needs to be a bit smarter with his offloads.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 6 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mate, you wouldn't pick a Welshman in your World XV (or any XV besides a Welsh one, for that matter) if your life depended on it, so lets not sugar-coat it with the whole 'not yet' treatment, mmkay?[/b]

I'd pick Shane Williams. I'd toss up between Lee Byrne and Muliania. I admit I was doubtful about Byrne being consistently good, and he's proved me wrong beyond all doubt, but with Powell yes we saw that he is a very good player but I also saw some flaws that a world class 8 man like So'oialo doesn't have.

You forget that I'm not Welsh so I fail to share Welsh enthusiasm for all things fantastic about Welsh rugby. That doesn't make me anti-Welsh, and I'm happy to say when I've been impressed with Welsh players and teams...

Look Powell is just having an indian summer, dont get two carried away he`ll be gone this time next year.

6-Burger
7-McCaw
8-Collins

In all fairness, Burger may be out of form at the moment, but to put Powell ahead of him on the basis that Burger has had two poor games out of fifty seems a bit harsh.

Thats bloody it!

Fed up of people bigging up Andy Powell!

All he did was run a few yards? His workrate round the pitch aint great to be fair and hes no where near a World Class player!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Dec 6 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thats bloody it!

All he did was run a few yards? His workrate round the pitch aint great to be fair and hes no where near a World Class player![/b]
Yet you're a fan of Shanklin?
Meh. Can't please anybody I guess.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 6 2008, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Dec 6 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats bloody it!

All he did was run a few yards? His workrate round the pitch aint great to be fair and hes no where near a World Class player![/b]
Yet you're a fan of Shanklin?
Meh. Can't please anybody I guess.

[/b][/quote]

How can defending someone make me a fan of that player? Whats Shanklin got to do with anything here?

Im also a Cardiff Blues fan, so im entitled to TELL YOU he is crap! Last season he was facing a cut from the Blues and was offered a contract with Wigan at the start of the season!

All Powell has done has made two or three massive yards and thats all! He aint World Class! Dont and stop kidding yourself if you think he is!

Latest posts