• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the best back row?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Dec 6 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How can defending someone make me a fan of that player? Whats Shanklin got to do with anything here?

Im also a Cardiff Blues fan, so im entitled to TELL YOU he is crap! Last season he was facing a cut from the Blues and was offered a contract with Wigan at the start of the season!

All Powell has done has made two or three massive yards and thats all! He aint World Class! Dont and stop kidding yourself if you think he is![/b]
Well, you've defended Shanklin all season, where he hasn't had a half-decent game, yet you put down Powell, who has been immense for Cardiff and Wales this Autumn. Believe it or not, I watch Cardiff aswell. :rolleyes:
Maybe he's not World Class, yet, but, Parisse aside, he's the best eight in Europe - or at least at the moment.
I really don't care for how crap he was last season.
If we're going by last season's standards, then Cipriani, Sheridan and Phillips are all shoe-ins for the Lions' XV...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 6 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Dec 6 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can defending someone make me a fan of that player? Whats Shanklin got to do with anything here?

Im also a Cardiff Blues fan, so im entitled to TELL YOU he is crap! Last season he was facing a cut from the Blues and was offered a contract with Wigan at the start of the season!

All Powell has done has made two or three massive yards and thats all! He aint World Class! Dont and stop kidding yourself if you think he is![/b]
Well, you've defended Shanklin all season, where he hasn't had a half-decent game, yet you put down Powell, who has been immense for Cardiff and Wales this Autumn. Believe it or not, I watch Cardiff aswell. :rolleyes:
Maybe he's not World Class, yet, but, Parisse aside, he's the best eight in Europe - or at least at the moment.
I really don't care for how crap he was last season.
If we're going by last season's standards, then Cipriani, Sheridan and Phillips are all shoe-ins for the Lions' XV...
[/b][/quote]

Ive defended what Shanklin for 4 AI Tests and now you have assumed that I have defended him all season .... <_<

This is where my participation ends in this thread!

6-Burger/Smith
7-McCaw
8-Parisse

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Dec 7 2008, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
6-Burger
7-McCaw
8-Collins.[/b]
Well after that Baa Baa game I have little faith in Burger at the moment.  Personally out of the S.A forwards I prefer Kankowski or Spies ahead of Burger.

Collins to me seems a bit too slow.  I like Chabal ahead of Collins as he is a quicker player.  Not as hard as Collins but he is quicker.  He also ferrits for the ball a bit more than Collins.

Therefore I would have.....

6-Kankowski (S.A).
7-McCaw (NZ).  
8-Chabal (FRA)

How about this "non-big names" back-row

6.White (Scotland) - Tackles like a deamon
7.Clever (USA) - Pretty much an all-rounder,got the speed + he is American so he's got he "Yes we can" attitude
8.Maka (Tonga) - Got the POWER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 7 2008, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How about this "non-big names" back-row

6.White (Scotland) - Tackles like a deamon
7.Clever (USA) - Pretty much an all-rounder,got the speed + he is American so he's got he "Yes we can" attitude
8.Maka (Tonga) - Got the POWER[/b]

Good combo, pretty balanced

I would go for..

6. Nili Latu (Tonga)
7. Richie McCaw (NZ)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy)

Latu is physical, dynamic, is a great ball carrier.. always give 120% and will not give up ruck after ruck. McCaw, say no more is the best openside around IMHO with his ability to control and lead a game. Parisse.. for me, is the best eighthman in world rugby. Inspirational.

what about david wallace?.. one of the most underrated players in world rugby.. his defensive workrate, consistency.. and fantastic ball carrying has to put him up there.. but I do see the problem..

Wallace is a brilliant rugby player.. but not really a master of any particular position.. he's great in open play but you could never drop McCaw for wallace.. he's an arguable 8 though.. not a traditional 8 but something different.. on a dream 22.. he'd definately be there but probably on the bench.

Originally posted by Cymro

That's not exactly fair Cymro, he played what, 2 games last season then got injured! And if I remember right, he was very good in those games. It's been the story of his careed, injury after injury (kinda like Delve). This has been his most consistent run of game time in years, and he's been immense with ball in hand.

Saying that, I agree with you and others, that he's not up there with the best yet, his decision making and dicipline is letting him down. If he sorts them out, he could be a great player.

Can't be that bothered putting my backrow, getting bored of these 'best of' threads.

Latest posts