• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the best kicker

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 3 2009, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Dec 29 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who is that Lekso?[/b]

That is former Portuguese Prime Minister and current President of the European Commission José Manuel Durão Barroso.

Think of his role as similar to Thabo Mbeki's role as SADC mediator...only slightly less ineffective and pointless.

Only slightly mind you.
[/b][/quote]

Agreeeeeee ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Long Answer;

Danny Brough (Rugby league mind) is a decent tactical kicker, I'd go so far to say that he has the potential to be regarded as one of the best kickers as far as putting guys in space is concerned. I really hope he decides to switch codes one day, maybe after he's brought the Scottish Rugby team up to scratch.

Chris Paterson has a short range compared to most of his peers, but he's consistent. His kicking out of hand is also poorer than others, but it's not a massive issue these days seeing has he has Phil Godman and Hugo Southwell most of the time he's on the field for both club and country. Plus he's shown he can still throw a show and go from time to time, which is a pretty useful skill to have...even at his advanced age :p.

Dan Carter is a good goal and out of hand kicker, he's got his flaws but that's because he's not a cyborg...yet.

Steyn has a massive boot on him, I think I can remember him landing some pretty epic touch kicks from way out, and obviously sinking drop goals from the changing room (more or less). His kicking is just one part of his repertoire, I think his skills are better used as a 12 or at fullback. 12 because he's a big lad so he can be used for crash balls and at 15 because who's going to want to risk giving away 3 points every time they miss touch?

Short Answer;

There is no definitive answer to this question because it is a matter of opinion.

I think we'll see what flaws Dan Carter has as this Top 14 Season in France processes. The French league is so tough and so merciless and relentless that it magnifies deficiencies and flaws to a degree where it can quite simply make or break careers.

It will be very interesting to see how Dan Carter performs when his pack is going backwards and his backs have neither the raw punching power or simple speed of his All Black peers.

The words "Carter power: ACTIVATE!" spring to mind.
Expect him to do cart(ER)wheels over the defence when things get tough.

Lets rewind that: Why the hell are you up at 4am watching hentai clips on Youtube?

I like Brock James of Clermont

He cicks in a remarkable way and I think is a good alternative for our discussion

brock_james_clermont_ferrand.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lineens weegie army @ Feb 27 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
seen a few people saying the Mossy only has such a high percentage because he only take ones he knows he can land, and that other kickers percentages would be just as good if they did the same. But hold on a sec, isnt it a pretty important thing for a kicker to know his limits?

If patterson only takes penalties he knows he can score, then his team are going to score most times they go for the posts. but if say Wilko points to the posts and he cant make it, doesnt that just mean he's wasted an opertunity and given away possesion? even if he does land the occassional one, would it not be more beneficial to his team to put the ball in the corner and try and go for 5/7 points? (or even take a drop-goal from nearer the target)[/b]

I kind of agree with you there mate but then scotland never really win too often. so it's either they can't score tries or their kicker is crap, in this case their kicker is quite good by the sounds of it but doesn't take enough chances to slot the points so maybe his hesitation to take shots at goal is causing more of an impediment to the team rather than being beneficial.

Paterson is under a greater pressure imo to kick the kicks he does. The All Blacks usually win every match comfortably by scoring tries, Scotland really struggle to do this so Patersons kicking is vital to keep Scotland in the game. For me although Carter is better to watch the stats prove for the last 3 years Paterson is the best goal kicker.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Jan 10 2009, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Paterson is under a greater pressure imo to kick the kicks he does. The All Blacks usually win every match comfortably by scoring tries, Scotland really struggle to do this so Patersons kicking is vital to keep Scotland in the game. For me although Carter is better to watch the stats prove for the last 3 years Paterson is the best goal kicker.[/b]

i still reckon carter is the better kicker, how many kicks has patterson attempted? sideline conversions, carter, wilkinson etc can do.. 60m though? i don't even think paterson could come close.

Another great kicker is Matt Dunning, just edit his kicking abbilities with Woosaah Ruggby 08 Editor :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Jan 13 2009, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Another great kicker is Matt Dunning, just edit his kicking abbilities with Woosaah Ruggby 08 Editor :D[/b]

yeah remember that 50m drop goal?! haha classic

At the moment I'd Say Dan Carter.

But No one said they had to be players playing now i'm sure there are lots of players that kicked better than Carter.

Ball-in-hand: Dan Carter or Johnny Wilkinson (on form) - make everyone else look ordinary.
Place Kicking: Chris Paterson - I don't see him miss that often, range is less but very consistent and is perhaps more pressure kicking.
Tactical Kicking: Dan Carter or Johnny Wilkinson (on form) - make everyone else look ordinary.
Chip and Chase: David Lemi - Best i have seen, plus extra credit because he's a midget.
Dropgoals: Francois Steyn - Mainly for the range and how easy he makes it look.

Latest posts