• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

the best kicker

I think Patterson's range is a touch short, and I do agree that he does tend to keep his kick attempts to ones that he can't be sure he'll make, which might explain his high accuracy rate. I also don't rate his kicking from hand as highly as others do on this board.

I don't know why everyone is saying Steyn is the best drop goal kicker. Sure, he has the potential to nail them from 50m+ but he goes for them far too often and if you watch him play enough he misses them frequently. Wilkinson is the best exponent of the drop goal I have seen, honestly.

It is in fact me. You should have seen me in training last night. Banging them over from everywhere. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 11 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It is in fact me. You should have seen me in training last night. Banging them over from everywhere. ;)[/b]

Am I the only one here who actually drop kicks further than I can punt? Seriously, I get about twice the distance and height when I drop kick. My punting is abysmal, even in terms of accuracy my drop kicks reign supreme. I got to the point where in one game I actually made a decent clearance from my 22 using a droppie :lol: .

I have problems with my drops in that they get huge height but the distance isn't great. What's your place kicking like?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 12 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have problems with my drops in that they get huge height but the distance isn't great. What's your place kicking like?[/b]

Sounds like my punts, height isn't a problem at all but my distance is **** poor. The drops are sweet for height 'cos you get the whole leg pump/scoop motion (ie. look like a ponce) going and they just seem to hang for an age. My place kicking is ok, I like the real standard cone tees where the ball sits straight up, I can hit them well but accuracy and control is 50/50.

As an attacking fly half,he is absolute CRAP,but I have to say IMO he is the best goalkicker in history,...I refer to Jonny Wilkinson

David Humphreys has to be in there. At one point he was absolutely awesome! He just inspired the whole Ulster team and to be honest, there lost without him at the minute!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Propie @ Dec 28 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
David Humphreys has to be in there. At one point he was absolutely awesome! He just inspired the whole Ulster team and to be honest, there lost without him at the minute![/b]

yeah but he cost Ireland a fair few games as well, did have a few seasons where he looked nailed on to get everything but he's had a long career and not a huge amount of injuries, so not really in with a shout.

I think the two very best are paterson and percy.. funnily enough neither player 10 really.. paterson is a 14 and percy 15

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Dec 28 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the two very best are paterson and percy.. funnily enough neither player 10 really.. paterson is a 14 and percy 15[/b]

Paterson proved under pressure last season that he couldn't handle it, as far as coping with the pressure kicks goes it's still Wilkinson and Carter for me, although this year hasn't been stellar for Carter, I've no obvious example of him not coping with the pressure, prove me wrong though

Definitely not him:

rugby_01h.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bennyfishel @ Oct 20 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As an attacking fly half,he is absolute CRAP,but I have to say IMO he is the best goalkicker in history,...I refer to Jonny Wilkinson[/b]
I was sure you were meaning Grant Fox. He was the first and best. The way he kicked the ball is still copied to this day. Fox merged the Union and League style to get greater acuaracy at distance. The best ever. Mind you he did take half an hour per kick :)

Latest posts