• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The better competition sponsored by Guinness - Round 15

I'd imagine he is. Kind of surprised it's Dunne on the bench though. Leinster held Penny out of some training thing the forwards are doing today so surprised he's not involved. Oisin Dowling is also being converted to backrow so kind of surprising he's not ahead of Dunne. Also unlucky that some of Leinster's planning for this situation fell through. Dave Aspil was training with Leinster but got injured playing AIL.

I'd say it's a case of wanting to give Dunne his debut after he didn't make it off the bench against the Scarlets.

If Johnston is injured he's injured. Honestly it's seriously disappointing either way. I don't see the point in comparing him to Frawley or Byrne because neither has had anywhere close to the number of injury issues. That said we can do better in giving academy guys chances. Not sure where guys like Nash and a few others have fallen off in the eyes of coaches, but this isn't a solely Van Graan ticket problem. A few other guys never seemed to get chances and disappeared in the past. I will Say they're doing a good job on Wycherley, Coombes, Liam O'Connor (who featured in most squads before he was crocked for a year) and his brother but there is a case of Jack O'Donoghue syndrome where guys who appear to have it all talent wise have to battle so hard for time and don't really get a chance to build form barring a host of injuries. We need to see more of Nash and one of Stafford or Casey soon as an example. Hopefully O'Sullivan gets fit soon.
I agree with Muff that a lot of our more talented players have had awful luck but also agree with Snoop that we have a bad tendency to sign a player almost in anticipation of our academy not being good enough to do the job. We have some serious talent at our disposal and need to trim the fat to let it show. I can definitely see that happening though with how
contracts are planning out though.
Sorry I've gone fairly off topic

Frawley has had plenty of injuries as well.
But that point is irrelevant isn't it. Pretty sure he hadn't one like Bill but equally it's irrelevant if Frawley had injuries when asking why Bill hasn't had x amount of starts for Munster due to injuries.

But that point is irrelevant isn't it. Pretty sure he hadn't one like Bill but equally it's irrelevant if Frawley had injuries when asking why Bill hasn't had x amount of starts for Munster due to injuries.
But the point is about a lot more than Frawley/Johnston. I think it's undeniable that it's harder for young players to get game time at Munster. Whether it's because there's just less talent there (which is a reality of demographics) or if there actually is a problem regarding trusting youth I don't know. Probably a mix of both. There are players who are getting plenty of time this season, Wycherly is doing very well, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got injured, and then really struggled to get gametime when he got back. I do think it's a valid point and worth exploring. Like I know you need to keep guys fresh but is a team that strong necessary to take on the Kings? I'm genuinely not convinced that the likes of Andrew Porter, Max Deegan (who contrary to what certain people in the media would like you to think is getting loads of minutes), Ross Byrne, even James Ryan, Leavy etc have gotten the same chances if that were at Munster?

We have BP here now. Poor game to be fair has the feel of a preseason game.
Chris Farrell went off with his knee as a precaution.

But the point is about a lot more than Frawley/Johnston. I think it's undeniable that it's harder for young players to get game time at Munster. Whether it's because there's just less talent there (which is a reality of demographics) or if there actually is a problem regarding trusting youth I don't know. Probably a mix of both. There are players who are getting plenty of time this season, Wycherly is doing very well, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got injured, and then really struggled to get gametime when he got back. I do think it's a valid point and worth exploring. Like I know you need to keep guys fresh but is a team that strong necessary to take on the Kings? I'm genuinely not convinced that the likes of Andrew Porter, Max Deegan (who contrary to what certain people in the media would like you to think is getting loads of minutes), Ross Byrne, even James Ryan, Leavy etc have gotten the same chances if that were at Munster?
I think Porter 100% would when you consider guys like Parker are young getting plentt of chances. Ryan yes as he was always touted as a special talent and well we have given guys a shot. Maybe not Deegan as we have competition across the board in backroe and he reminds me a bit of Jacko. Is playing across the backrow, settling in no position and will potentially get stuck in rut.
Leavy would as he was a talent. If ypu look at pur backrows they're possibly not as good as Leinsters backrow but they get chamces.

I think Porter 100% would when you consider guys like Parker are young getting plentt of chances. Ryan yes as he was always touted as a special talent and well we have given guys a shot. Maybe not Deegan as we have competition across the board in backroe and he reminds me a bit of Jacko. Is playing across the backrow, settling in no position and will potentially get stuck in rut.
Leavy would as he was a talent. If ypu look at pur backrows they're possibly not as good as Leinsters backrow but they get chamces.
All this talk of Munster not giving talent a chance and not doing yada yada got me thinking and then it occurred to me we produced a pretty decent player for Leinster recently
original

James Ryan is a Munster product. Leinster academy BTFO and relegated to producing squad players for Ulster. Munster deserve another star on their jerseys.

All this talk of Munster not giving talent a chance and not doing yada yada got me thinking and then it occurred to me we produced a pretty decent player for Leinster recently
original

James Ryan is a Munster product. Leinster academy BTFO and relegated to producing squad players for Ulster. Munster deserve another star on their jerseys.
How does it feel to know that Munster's greatest ever lock is from Leinster?

If Johnston is injured he's injured. Honestly it's seriously disappointing either way. I don't see the point in comparing him to Frawley or Byrne because neither has had anywhere close to the number of injury issues. That said we can do better in giving academy guys chances. Not sure where guys like Nash and a few others have fallen off in the eyes of coaches, but this isn't a solely Van Graan ticket problem. A few other guys never seemed to get chances and disappeared in the past. I will Say they're doing a good job on Wycherley, Coombes, Liam O'Connor (who featured in most squads before he was crocked for a year) and his brother but there is a case of Jack O'Donoghue syndrome where guys who appear to have it all talent wise have to battle so hard for time and don't really get a chance to build form barring a host of injuries. We need to see more of Nash and one of Stafford or Casey soon as an example. Hopefully O'Sullivan gets fit soon.
I agree with Muff that a lot of our more talented players have had awful luck but also agree with Snoop that we have a bad tendency to sign a player almost in anticipation of our academy not being good enough to do the job. We have some serious talent at our disposal and need to trim the fat to let it show. I can definitely see that happening though with how
contracts are planning out though.
Sorry I've gone fairly off topic

I'd echo that.

One problem area for Munster is the lack of Limerick players. Where are they all? Compared to the past, its fairly pathetic looking at this stage.

I'd echo that.

One problem area for Munster is the lack of Limerick players. Where are they all? Compared to the past, its fairly pathetic looking at this stage.
Was a studyon this. Schools rugby has crumvled and had an impact on spillage to clubs. There's an effort to improve it and it is getting back on track but will take year ot two. Like even now Munchins aren't as powerful as before. Castletroy and Ard Scoil Ris are the 2 main Limerick rugby schools

Grim watching last night, but very valuable 4 points!

Very blunt in attack. The big punchy carrying of Coetzee badly missed to keep the opp. backrow in tighter.

How did Henderson play?

Not very explosive, looked to be blowing at times, but did do a full 80.

Happily pitch him in against Italy - more gametime would do him good - wouldn't be so comfortable starting him if it were Wales next. Could be with either Ulster (Zebre) or Ireland next weekend.

I'm going to see Ulster vs Zebre next week. Worried to see how badly ulster capitulate against a side easily outplaying a team that beat them by 40 points only a month ago.

I'm going to see Ulster vs Zebre next week. Worried to see how badly ulster capitulate against a side easily outplaying a team that beat them by 40 points only a month ago.
In fairness we were doing alright until we scored the third try. A rant at half time should change things up.

In fairness we were doing alright until we scored the third try. A rant at half time should change things up.
I'd hate a rant from cullen. I'd say it's like being shouted at by someone else's dad for cursing.
I don't know why but I wish ill upon the people in the carsireland.ie ad