• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The coming week for Stuart Lancaster and Co.

Cips very talented, however whoever said it was right about lack of cover for other positions. Though having said that Watson is a better full back than winger...

Hoping that he will surprise us and pick Ford, but I know he won't.

Don people really believe that Farrell snr is the reason why Farrell jnr seems untouchable at 10.

I mean before he was injured at the back end of last year and Ford came in he was quite frankly rubbish for England. Ford has come in and started to learn his trade at international level, but gets dropped very quickly for a tactical defensive reasons.

I think while SL is in charge Ford just has to accept that he is only gonna be the second choice 10.

I would assume that Farrell snr is a professional and doesn't treat his son differently, but I suppose it is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

And to be honest Farrell senior although a league legend has done nothing in Union to warrant being there.

Cips very talented, however whoever said it was right about lack of cover for other positions. Though having said that Watson is a better full back than winger...

Hoping that he will surprise us and pick Ford, but I know he won't.

Don people really believe that Farrell snr is the reason why Farrell jnr seems untouchable at 10.

I mean before he was injured at the back end of last year and Ford came in he was quite frankly rubbish for England. Ford has come in and started to learn his trade at international level, but gets dropped very quickly for a tactical defensive reasons.

I think while SL is in charge Ford just has to accept that he is only gonna be the second choice 10.

I would assume that Farrell snr is a professional and doesn't treat his son differently, but I suppose it is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

And to be honest Farrell senior although a league legend has done nothing in Union to warrant being there.

No, the reason Farrell is selected at 10 is beacause he is worthy of the position, i'd reject claims of nepotism. I'd go with Farrell over Ford in this match.

On Cipriani, although very skillful and creative I would not feel comfortable with 80 mins of him at the helm.

No, the reason Farrell is selected at 10 is beacause he is worthy of the position, i'd reject claims of nepotism. I'd go with Farrell over Ford in this match.

On Cipriani, although very skillful and creative I would not feel comfortable with 80 mins of him at the helm.

If you pick Farrell you need to take the points at every opportunity. Lancaster didn't know whether he wanted to play attacking rugby or bish bash bosh rugby. He ended up trying to do the latter then in the final ten made changes to try and play attacking rugby. Suicidal.

Ford is the better 10, who played in the 6N when we beat Wales in Cardiff, yet somehow we needed Farrell to beat them this time.

Oh and we didn't by the way.

People were raving about Farrell, but what did he actually do, kicked his kicks and defended well. Sorry but I expect more!

Just to add my 2 pence in, but if England lose then I can see that being the end for Lancaster and Robshaw. Yes Robshaw gives everything, but he's not a natural 7 and his leadership decisions have been questionable. I wouldn't see him under a new coach.

Lancaster has two big problems. Lack of consistency in choosing a side and inflexibility in his game plans. His use of substitutions has been atrocious with far too many looking like planned and timed swaps rather than reflecting what is on the field.
As for not choosing a consistent backline, it only hurts rather than helps.

However if England can win then they actually regain the initiative and would in all probability qualify at the expense of either Aus or Wal. This is make or break, simple as that. I hope England treat it like the Final because that's pretty much what every match is from now on.

With Farrel, I think england is looking for a new Wilkinson. But Wilkinson has often played behind a dominating pack of forward for England, this is not the case anymore imho.

Just to add my 2 pence in, but if England lose then I can see that being the end for Lancaster and Robshaw. Yes Robshaw gives everything, but he's not a natural 7 and his leadership decisions have been questionable. I wouldn't see him under a new coach.

Lancaster has two big problems. Lack of consistency in choosing a side and inflexibility in his game plans. His use of substitutions has been atrocious with far too many looking like planned and timed swaps rather than reflecting what is on the field.
As for not choosing a consistent backline, it only hurts rather than helps.

However if England can win then they actually regain the initiative and would in all probability qualify at the expense of either Aus or Wal. This is make or break, simple as that. I hope England treat it like the Final because that's pretty much what every match is from now on.

Ok, offer a solution......Who would you make Captain and appoint as coach?

- - - Updated - - -

With Farrel, I think england is looking for a new Wilkinson. But Wilkinson has often played behind a dominating pack of forward for England, this is not the case anymore imho.

No not looking for a new Wilkinson, just a solid number 10.

Out of interest, would those criticizing Robshaw still have him in the squad, maybe even captain, if he was moved to 6 and someone like Armitage (or whoever, just the first example I thought of) brought in at 7? I'm wondering who else could do the job and though I'm no fan of Robshaw he does seem like the best candidate purely from a leadership perspective. Interested too know if there are any other 'generals' in the squad that could do the job?

Out of interest, would those criticizing Robshaw still have him in the squad, maybe even captain, if he was moved to 6 and someone like Armitage (or whoever, just the first example I thought of) brought in at 7? I'm wondering who else could do the job and though I'm no fan of Robshaw he does seem like the best candidate purely from a leadership perspective. Interested too know if there are any other 'generals' in the squad that could do the job?

Our squad I feel pretty much lacks leadership. I may be shot here, but Farrell in time could become a good leader.

However, Itoje is coming through in the lock and back row positions and looks to have good leadership qualities. I also think we have better 6s that are currently on show in the England set up. Around the premiership there are some very good young back rowers coming through.

*BANG*

This is pretty much why I'd keep Robshaw, Farrell may not even be no. 1 for a new incoming coach and hasn't shown much in the leadership department.

If your looking for a new leader Launch or Lawes I think are the only two who could potentially tie down a starting spot enough. I'm not a big fan of backs as captains.

I think Robshaw is good enough to nail down the 6 spot as he is far more consistent than Wood. I think his time as captain will be up and I think it is very hard for an ex-captain playing in the team.

It's a shame as he gives his all for the cause.

If Eng lose tomorrow I have to say we need a long hard look at how we do things. Two poor world cups and no 6N in the last 4 years is a very poor return considering all of the money invested and the available player pool.

Don't mind a back as a captain but no further down the line than 12.

Last edited:
Ford is the better 10, who played in the 6N when we beat Wales in Cardiff, yet somehow we needed Farrell to beat them this time.

Oh and we didn't by the way.

People were raving about Farrell, but what did he actually do, kicked his kicks and defended well. Sorry but I expect more!

They were winning until Farrell was moved from 10, of all selections to criticize, Farrell ain't the one.

Who would I have as captain and coach? Not the current set up that's for sure.

Last edited:
The problem with picking a captain is we don't know who's going to be in each position, there's a couple of guys vying for each one, and that's not even thinking about whether or not they're captain material.

On a slight tangent: I wonder if Ben Kay would make a good forwards coach? Borthwick has done an outstanding job with Japan in his first role, and Kay is easily the best scrum/lineout analyst on TV at the moment.

Not unusual to have an interim captain.

I'd go for Parling for the mean time, Robshaw if he stays in the team. Parling's an experienced and medium solid starter at the moment. Wouldn't expect either to last beyond the coming Six Nations (unless they keep their starting spot) though.

Parling's captained Tigers as well, hasn't he?

He also beat the Springboks playing 6 (thought I'd get that in before the Tigers lot arrive :p)
To be honest he was the first guy i was thinking of too.
He's not assured his spot in the long term, age combined with injury issues, but as interim you could do much much worse.

That said: I'd keep Robshaw in the side (at 6) - would England strip him of captaincy if he was still playing for England?
I'm not sure they would.

Latest posts