• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The coming week for Stuart Lancaster and Co.

Neither of whom have coached a team that has won anything!!

Baxter has done a brilliant job at Exeter with little money and no "Known" assistant coaches. Ford has done ok with loadsamoney and very well know assistant coaches!

We need someone of world renown and a winning cv but they are few and far between!! I would have a go at the assistant AB coach who managed Saints, Wayne something!! He must have had decent experience of winning with them!!

Wayne Smith. A pretty good shout, but I'm not sure the RFU would swallow their pride and appoint a non-English coach.

The point you make about the difference between club coaching and country coaching is a good one, the skill sets are certainly different.

I've banged on about matching players skills sets with each other on another thread, so I suppose really it's the same for coaches. Picking somebody like Mike Ford may not be the best option, he has Bath playing great rugby, but he gets to pick his pool of players.

Really you want a coach who selects well, identifies good talent, man management and motivation and who can maintain a very good relationship with the clubs. They don't get to coach and develop the players themselves, apart from pre World Cup.

Baxter for me for what he has done with Exe, or like the sound of this Wayne Smith fella...

Don't think Baxter would leave Exeter unless it was really pre planned, he doesn't seem the type to just drop his team, I think we may get an interim coach IF Lancaster goes and Baxter may come in after next season, it sounds more reasonable and realistic..
But what are the chances it'll be someone like Jim Mallinder though..
I'm a saints fan, but I certainly wouldn't want him as England coach..

Don't think Baxter would leave Exeter unless it was really pre planned, he doesn't seem the type to just drop his team, I think we may get an interim coach IF Lancaster goes and Baxter may come in after next season, it sounds more reasonable and realistic..
But what are the chances it'll be someone like Jim Mallinder though..
I'm a saints fan, but I certainly wouldn't want him as England coach..

Agreed. I like mallinder but saints deal badly with pressure and a lot depends on our scrum. Feel he gets his tactics so wrong at times. He wouldn't be any better than Lancaster I don't think.

This really isn't my field but surely Nick Walshe has to get a mention?

Also on a completely different note, will Robshaw Retire from international rugby if England gets knocked out of the group stage?
There could probably be a thread for this..

Also on a completely different note, will Robshaw Retire from international rugby if England gets knocked out of the group stage?

Can't see why he would. Even if he was dropped he doesn't seem like someone who'd give up his international ambitions.

No hes still only young, I could see him getting more caps even if we crash out on Saturday

I can't see Robshaw being set aside too quickly. He's one of the few true leader we have in the side and most coaches will take a lot of consideration in playing him at blindside even f they want a more traditional openside. He'll loose the captaincy however I just don't know who will replace him.

Clifford to get fast tracked into England squad for the 6 nations and assume captaincy. here. first. :p (wouldn't be at all surprised if him or Itoje get a shot at in 2016)
The only semi-cert in the team over next year (Launch) is by all accounts very quiet- I think a bit of an edge is badly needed in the pack/leaders- Clifford looks to have that and is very promising. Would love to see: Vunipola, George, Brookes, Launch, Slater, Itoje, Kvesic, Clifford

As for possible coaches- will have to see what happens on Saturday first, but would like to Lanky in a DOR type position with Gustard, Baxter/O'Connor, King involved

Last edited:
I don't feel this is the be all, and end all of English rugby.. But I do feel it will be for a Lancaster.

As far as the selection process has gone, I always thought Cipriani would make it. I pinpointed him as the "x-factor" in England's ranks. You know, how Australia has Foley and Quade, NZ has Carter and Barrett, etc. I thought it was going to be Farrell and Cipriani. I won't lie, I think the rest of the rugby world had a sigh of relief after hearing about Tuilagi too... He's dangerous, and I'm nervous when he plays.

I mean, I know that the English fans would have demanded their team make the semis, via finishing top of their pool, and isn't that still possible? But if they finish second, it's South Africa. We don't know what is going to happen in the England vs Australia game, literally anything could. But the unfortunate part about it is that Australia had been very mediocre over the last two years, until very recently. And would have been brushed aside by the likes of England, Wales, and Ireland. Everything is still on the line, but Australia are most certainly different.

In regards to England's future with rugby, it is extremely bright. They are coming. You don't win back-to-back JWC, and be runners-up a few times to not produce talent. Look at New Zealand and the kids that come out of those teams when we were winning. It's just about how your country gets them into the right positions and exposure, in order to be successful. This is what I feel New Zealand is better at doing. But yeah, future is very bright for England, if things are done properly.

Cipriani was a seriously big selection mistake by Lancaster. I can't help but feel that Andy Farrell didn't fancy the in form Cipriani taking away any limelight from his kid.
Cipriani even shone in the warm up games.
The guy has southern hemisphere experience, and he is in the peak of his powers.
He can't even make the squad???

Cips was never going to be picked anyone who watched his treatment during 6 nations could tell you that. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are if you do something the coach sees as a glaring flaw he won't choose you. Lancaster seems more picky than most on this front.

Cips was never going to make the squad as (a) his "previous" meant he was never Lancaster's type and (b) no matter how talented they each are, none of him Ford or Farrell cover any other positions adequately. The latter is pretty damning really.

And of course like every non selection Cips has become a better player by not being there!

Cips was never going to make the squad as (a) his "previous" meant he was never Lancaster's type and (b) no matter how talented they each are, none of him Ford or Farrell cover any other positions adequately. The latter is pretty damning really.

And of course like every non selection Cips has become a better player by not being there!

They don't need to they need to fill the 22 shirt . Cips can play 10 and 15 . That's enough for me . I'd understand if he was playing in the 23 shirt (even though Lancaster has picked Barritt there before)

I don't feel this is the be all, and end all of English rugby.. But I do feel it will be for a Lancaster.

As far as the selection process has gone, I always thought Cipriani would make it. I pinpointed him as the "x-factor" in England's ranks. You know, how Australia has Foley and Quade, NZ has Carter and Barrett, etc. I thought it was going to be Farrell and Cipriani. I won't lie, I think the rest of the rugby world had a sigh of relief after hearing about Tuilagi too... He's dangerous, and I'm nervous when he plays.

I mean, I know that the English fans would have demanded their team make the semis, via finishing top of their pool, and isn't that still possible? But if they finish second, it's South Africa. We don't know what is going to happen in the England vs Australia game, literally anything could. But the unfortunate part about it is that Australia had been very mediocre over the last two years, until very recently. And would have been brushed aside by the likes of England, Wales, and Ireland. Everything is still on the line, but Australia are most certainly different.

In regards to England's future with rugby, it is extremely bright. They are coming. You don't win back-to-back JWC, and be runners-up a few times to not produce talent. Look at New Zealand and the kids that come out of those teams when we were winning. It's just about how your country gets them into the right positions and exposure, in order to be successful. This is what I feel New Zealand is better at doing. But yeah, future is very bright for England, if things are done properly.

Yeh this is spot on . I'd agree with everything in this post . I'm desperate for us to dig ourselves out of a hole here but a tiny part of me wants us to get rid of Stuart Lancaster because I fully believe he's taken us as far as we can go.

I'll have fond memories of him like the win against NZ and a couple of lovely wins against Wales but I just can't see how we are going to hit that next level with him in charge

They don't need to they need to fill the 22 shirt . Cips can play 10 and 15 . That's enough for me . I'd understand if he was playing in the 23 shirt (even though Lancaster has picked Barritt there before)

Fair enough, but as incumbent Ford was inked in and likewise Farrell as a contrasting, keep it tight, option. There was never going to be room for all 3 given that the lack of ability to cover other positions.....Brown being injured in the first minute and being replaced by Cips wouldn't do a lot for my BP.

FWIW I think Cips is more talented than either Ford or Farrell. In fact I think he's the most talented player we've produced in a very long time but sadly that talent looks like being unfulfilled. He'd probably be a superstar of the world game if he was an Aussie.

Fair enough, but as incumbent Ford was inked in and likewise Farrell as a contrasting, keep it tight, option. There was never going to be room for all 3 given that the lack of ability to cover other positions.....Brown being injured in the first minute and being replaced by Cips wouldn't do a lot for my BP.

FWIW I think Cips is more talented than either Ford or Farrell. In fact I think he's the most talented player we've produced in a very long time but sadly that talent looks like being unfulfilled. He'd probably be a superstar of the world game if he was an Aussie.

I'd rather Cips replacing Brown after a first minute injury than Goode tbh . A lot of Cips problems are his own doing but Stuart Lancaster has told him what he wanted him to do which Danny did then he gave him next to no time which Danny managed to excel in then he left him out . If you ask me Lancaster is stubborn old man who won't deviate from his ideals

Latest posts